Isaac
Years ago

Cairns Taipans sign Mitch McCarron

The Cairns Taipans have lured the 2015 NCAA Division II National Player of the Year Mitch McCarron back to Australia, signing him for two years in his first NBL contract.

The 2015 NBA Draft prospect had work outs with the LA Lakers and Denver Nuggets before signing with Palencia Baloncesto in Spain; and winning the LEB Oro title in his first professional year.

On the back of a Championship, the 23-year old returns home to Queensland as the seventh contracted player for the Cairns Taipans.

"We definitely rated Mitch as one of the top guards in the free agents group this off-season, and I'm excited for him to join our team. He is a really top quality person and he has a bright future ahead of him," said Head Coach Aaron Fearne.

“I see him being a major contributor to our group. He’ll bring a great level of enthusiasm and get out on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively, he’ll be hard at the rim - his game is improving every year.”

McCarron had an outstanding collegiate career at the Metro University in Denver, averaging 20.2 points, 6 rebounds and 4.23 assists in his senior year, and finished third in both scoring (16.3) and free throws made (416) in the school’s history.
Full story

Topic #39368 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hopefully Fearne's system doesn't limit/restrict his roof.

Reply #587268 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Another very good Aussie signing for the league.

Reply #587270 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Was holding hope that he'd sign with Brisbane. Wonder if they even pursued him.

Solid player, but as MACDUB intimated, hopefully he can see success in Fearne's restrictive system.

Reply #587271 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

He was outstanding in Clark's system in Denver, he'll be just fine in the Taipan's system. Though we're probably not going to be running as much full court D as the Roadrunners do...

Great signing!

Reply #587272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot wait to see Mcbuckets light up the league!!

Reply #587273 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Steal for the Snakes. Aussie talent in the league is rising like wildfire!

Reply #587275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Aussie marquee rule starting to take effect

Reply #587296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha! ^^^

Reply #587298 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

What is McCarrons ceiling? I haven't seen much of him besides a couple of mixtaps on YouTube. Could he develop in a Chris Goulding like talent?

Reply #587312 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Bugger... gutted that the Kings missed out on him, I wonder who was chasing him? Having a connection with Gliddon and Wortho up there would help I guess and if Fearney has been keeping an eye on him and kept in communication, then a well deserved pick up...

Great to see him in the league...

Reply #587317 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ King Podge, just wondering your perspective mate on whether you'd like Jawai up there or would you rather get two star imports because this roster seems very good so far.

Grand finalists two seasons ago and Wortho, McCarron and Weeks are better than Young, Bruce and Maynard/Sobey. I'd imagine the success of this team falls on the import point guard and whether or not he can run the team properly.

Super happy to get the chance to see this kid in our league but he won't be eligible for ROTY?

Reply #587323 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Proud, man i'd love the big unit to come back. Half of Cairns is either related to him or went to school with him. The only concern would be him continuing to improve his fitness - but if anyone can do that it's the guy that's been his mentor for years = A Fearne. It's a long way away, but the thought of Jawai holding up the Taipan's first championship trophy gives me goosebumps :)

I think we're heading in the right direction with the mix of youth, experience, athleticism and oldmanticism. Imports will be key though.

Interesting couple of months ahead of us!

Reply #587325 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I can understand people wanting to see Big Nate "come home" to FNQ.
TBH, it would be great to see a home grown product playing for Cairns. And I'd think that for family reasons there may be a real chance of that happening.
But they should still pay him a decent salary, and I wonder if Cairns has the budget for that?

Reply #587336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, The Taipans along with Melb Utd and Perth are all currently pursuing Jawai.

Reply #587340 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd tend to think that if Melb U have got Anderson, they might not bother with Jawai.

Reply #587345 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope you get that wish King Podge.

Has there been any news on Matt Burston, is he wanted by anybody?

Reply #587349 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

haha thanks Proud:)

I haven't heard anything about Matty B but I've been assuming he'll be back. He's still got plenty of life left in his legs.

Reply #587363 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Matty can only be back as 11th man now.I hope he gets that spot.

Reply #587416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty B as an 11th man would be better than any 3rd string import. Hope Taipans retain him.

Reply #587426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754