Train
Years ago

D.Martin set to sign with Perth for 3 more years

"Reigning grand final MVP Damian Martin is on the verge of signing a contract extension which will likely see him retire a Perth Wildcat."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31586222/martin-ready-to-commit/

No real surprises here. Don't think there was ever a chance of him leaving. Stoked to see him finish his career in Perth.

Topic #39369 | Report this topic

james  
Years ago

Perth depending on the import situation should be the team to beat again.

Reply #587279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz Chalmers and Koberulz will breathe a sigh of relief. Great player, seems a really nice guy, pity he didnt play for a team that was more likeable hah

Reply #587285 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon - What would you prefer, a team that's liked outside of their own state or a team that wins championships :P

Reply #587287 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think that is basically announcing that we will see #53 retired somewhere down the line.

He doesn't come across as a greedy person so I think he'd be a bargain (especially for what he does on and off the court) so I'm not sure I understand why they are holding off signing him.

Ecstatic that he's going to return.

Reply #587324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anon - What would you prefer, a team that's liked outside of their own state or a team that wins championships :P"
I would pefer a team that doesnt have a * behind their name.

Reply #587347 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He doesn't come across as a greedy person so I think he'd be a bargain (especially for what he does on and off the court) so I'm not sure I understand why they are holding off signing him.
I'm not sure exactly what his contract status is. It was reported that he signed a new contract at the start of this season past. Other reports suggest he exercised a player option to remain. (That's what the "official" free agents list says.)
Either way, I think he is locked in, and if they're going to give him a new contract, they'll wait till the dust settles and they know who's getting paid what.

Reply #587355 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah I agree Dazz, it feels like Damo has signed a new deal the past 4 seasons of so...

Reply #587359 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I doubt they'll give him a new contract. This is the Wildcats and paper costs money - it doesn't grow on trees you know! So they'll probably take the existing contract, cross out and change a few details, initial here, here, here, and also there to reduce the excess for damage, and sign again somewhere in the vicinity of the dotted line.

Reply #587365 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's the wildcats, they'll set fire to the old contract, then have the new contract brought out by the Marching Band, and swing Damo down from the rafters to sign it.

Reply #587376 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just been confirmed in email from Cats

Reply #588410 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats have locked in the services of championship captain Damian Martin for the next three seasons.
The contract extension will see Martin remain a Wildcat till at least the end of the 2018/19 NBL season.
The three-time championship player is excited to have put pen to paper.
"I'm certainly happy in the knowledge that I’ve got three more years to look forward to as a Wildcat. To play 10 odd years with the one club is something I’m very proud of, particularly to do so here with Perth," said Martin.
“My goal over the next three years is to become a better leader and win as many championships as possible. I’ve been with the core group of players for a long time now and I thoroughly enjoy it, so I want the most for that group.
“We play the game because we’re competitors and I’d love to go back-to-back this year, simply because I want to be on another championship-winning side at the end of the season.”
Damian Martin has played 205 games for the Perth Wildcats, making him the club’s tenth most-capped player in its history.
The contract extension will make the popular point guard a 10-year Wildcat.
Martin joined the Perth Wildcats in 2009 and in his first season became a championship player.
He was made sole captain of the club in 2013 and led the team to two more championships in 2014 and 2016.
The 31-year-old has been named the NBL’s Best Defensive Player a record five times, from 2011-2015.
“He’s inspirational. He’s scores points on the defensive end and to have Damo locked up for the next three years is fantastic,” said coach Trevor Gleeson.
“His work ethic on the court is huge, he never rests. He’s selfless and has a willingness to raise the intensity and that’s what you need from a leader - to lead from the front.
“He’s our engine room and when he gets going, he brings everybody else along with him.”
In the recent 2015/16 championship season, Martin overcame serious injuries to average 5.3 points, 3.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
He added to his long list of accolades by being named Grand Final MVP.
Damian Martin is currently one of 17 players in the Australian Boomers Olympic squad, which will be cut down to 12 before the Rio Games in August.

Reply #588412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of an odd question but something that popped into my head when I read "10 years with the one club". Do pro athletes/NBL players earn long service leave?

Reply #588413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess is they'd be regarded as contractors so they wouldn't accumulate LSL

Reply #588417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754