Isaac
Years ago

The Story of the 36ers botched pursuit of Ingles

Boti tells the story of the 36ers botched pursuit of Joe Ingles as a rookie.

"I had my dad along and one of the first things that came up was they said they needed a back-up power forward.

“I'm 80 kilos and 6-6 so my first thought was if that’s what you’re thinking, we’re screwed.

“The minimum salary at the time was $20-$22,000 and while money wasn’t a primary concern for me, they offered me a two-year deal at $12,500 per, plus two season tickets."
Full story

Also keep in mind that the Dragons climate of the time involved signing bonuses and I swear I heard something about Ingles getting accommodation through Cowan? Even living at his place?

Topic #39383 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Bullets were into Ingles as well at the time according to Joey Wright so no wonder he didn't stay at Adelaide with such a poor offer.

Reply #587440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol sixers no professionalism

Reply #587443 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How could they offer him below the minimum?

Reply #587445 | Report this post

The Wombat  
Years ago

They also sent his contract out addressed to Joseph English

Reply #587446 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Wow, this reads of a very amateur outfit back then

Reply #587447 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

koberulz,

I think from memory the 36ers offered Ingles a development player spot but the Dragons offered him a spot on their actual roster.

Reply #587448 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They also sent his contract out addressed to Joseph English
The article clearly and specifically says that's not true.

Reply #587450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main details in this article have already been added to Ingles' wikipedia page.

Reply #587477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God Adelaide have consistently been an embarrassment over the years.

Reply #587509 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Will be frank, if an organisation can't even spell a guy's name right or stuff it up so many times, then it isn't a professional organisation.

Would have been good to have known who wrote it up and where they are now. Name and shame the person(s) who allowed another top SA player to slip through our fingers.

Reply #587510 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

To be fair, had he signed in Adelaide, would he now be in the NBA? It's possibly a great thing for Adelaide basketball that we stuffed this up so he could shine for the dragons?

Who was the coach then? A power forward? What did they smoke before telling him he would be a power forward lol

Reply #587516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair Joe Ingles level of talent was always going to shine no matter the initial environment. In no way shape or form can anyone possibly spin this as anything but the 36ers lack of professionalism. I've been hearing bits and pieces of this story for years and it's gutting.

Reply #587517 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So "Money wasn't a primary concern" but he went with Cowan because he was offered more money?

And there was a typo in his name? OMG, how did he go on living?

The only "embarrassment" in this, is the whole disgraceful Cowan episode. Wallys who want to splash around their money for a couple of seasons have been all too common. Teams like the 6's, that try to stick it out for the long-haul and actually helped build this league, are to be admired.

Reply #587588 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I think he went with Cowan because he had a more defined role that he agreed with, for example not being a PF. Money obviously would've been a helpful selling point too, but being on the same page in regards to his development would've been a more important issue

Reply #587589 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's not really clear that the 6's wanted him to be a PF. Perhaps that's why he was only offered a DP role?

Reply #587646 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So "Money wasn't a primary concern" but he went with Cowan because he was offered more money?
How low would the offer have to be before you'll accept him turning it down? One dollar a year? Fifty cents a year?

Money may not have been a primary concern, but Adelaide offered roughly half the minimum. We're not talking a couple of dollars here, or turning down a big offer for a huge offer. Not to mention the extra opportunities that result from being a full roster member instead of a DP, like being able to travel, and actually getting on the court.

Reply #587648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754