http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/tai-wesley-unites-melbourne/

Topic #39424 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

A very good signing.

Reply #588046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mel Utd is putting together a championship team for next season.

Reply #588047 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Its funny how many years in a row, Melbourne have put together a championship team isn't it.

Reply #588048 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Baller i agree, i'm not totally sold on our roster. Its nearly complete with just the david anderson signing to come. Can we release patton?

Reply #588049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are the pros at having a great on-paper team. But I do think that Cedric Jackson is a pretty good piece to work with.

Reply #588055 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Who will be the coach? Negotiations are happening I hear.

Reply #588056 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd be a lot more excited about Wesley as a player if he only had to play one end of the court.

Reply #588062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit this Melbourne roster isn't as scary as i first thought it would be when they were also talking jawai n holt on this roster.

I still reckon they need a guy like warrick was last year.

Reply #588068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't buy a championship team, it never works...Championship teams are built not bought.

Reply #588074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demopolous will be the coach again, signed a 2 year deal last year.

Reply #588075 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Melbourne's roster and game day experience key factors in his decision.

"I thought the show that Melbourne put on when we played there was really cool
WTF?
He needs to either engage a speech-writer,
or just be honest and say "they offered me the most money".

So, under the new rules, does he still count as a local, or is he their "Asian" player?

What is MU's roster as it currently stands?

Reply #588077 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You can't buy a championship team, it never works...Championship teams are built not bought.
I'm just worried what happens when LK & his posse still fail to buy a championship?
$3M salary cap, 6 imports, LK to have personal veto on signings by other teams?

Reply #588078 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Wesley plays as a local but his Salary will be a significant upgrade on what the Breakers were paying him last season.

Reply #588079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He will be their Asia/Oceania player.

Reply #588080 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Useful player with tons of post moves and good strength but his defensive flaws were masked by having great defenders around him at NZ.

Reply #588082 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's their roster now?

Majok
Wesley
Barlow
Blanchfield
Jackson
Tomlinson?

Reply #588083 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"You can't buy a championship team, it never works...Championship teams are built not bought."

Generally, that's been the case. But the 2008-09 Dragons immediately come to mind as an exception. Arguably Brisbane 2006-07 might also qualify as an exception. There may be others I can't recall ATM.

South Dragons in 2008-09 had 8 players in their first year with the club (counting both Groves, who was injured mid season, and Smith, who replaced him) one in his second year and two in their third years. There were three more development players in their first year with the club. The coach was in his first year with the club and was specifically bought in as a proven championship winner.

On that occasion, it worked.

Brisbane 2006-07 championship team was built over 2 years. Most of the 2006-07 team (4 of the starters and 3 of the regular bench rotation) were in their 1st or 2nd seasons at the club. Those 7 players all had played previously for other NBL clubs.

I imagine such precedents show well-heeled owners it can be done and inspire some to keep trying it.

Reply #588085 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

LV:

David Barlow
Todd Blanchfield
Igor Hadziomerovic
Cedric Jackson
Majok Majok
Owen Odigie
Chris Patton
Nate Tomlinson
Tai Wesley

Andersen and Goulding are rumoured (by Boti) as the remaining signatures being pursued.

Reply #588089 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Lk certainly is good at buying talent

Reply #588098 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Massive change to their three point philosophy if that team is going to be the end result. Not championship material to me, also there is a big question on how they will gel!

Perth, on the other hand are still solid, settled and building nicely, thank you very much. I think the Hawks and the Kings may be better than UTD next season, early as this prediction may be, I don't see buying a team in one hit usually working out.

Takes more than one season, takes more than buying in players and it takes one thing United lack, unity!

Pun intended...

Reply #588106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK LK has nothing to do with the Melb United in terms of administration. Sure it's his money and of course he owns the Bullets and as the major NBL share holder, that's laughable, he is supposed to be remote form the United.
It;s only a matter of time before people realise the inaneness of where the NBL isn't headed.

Reply #588108 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A talented, balanced team if they add Andersen and Goulding.

Reply #588131 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding now official.

Reply #588134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754