Rashad
Years ago

Confirmed: Jawai signs with Cairns for three seasons

https://mobile.twitter.com/liam_santa

According to Liam Santamaria's sources (who i don't know) has stated on his twitter that it's a done deal.

Topic #39454 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

There have since been announcements from Cairns and the NBL about a confirmed deal - 3 years.

Reply #588461 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, That might be a risk by Cairns. I would not have thought that Jawai had three years left in him? He turns 30 before the next season starts and his body type does not seem conducive to a long career into his 30's.

Reply #588462 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

XY, he may not be able to play that long due to health issues but barring that I would think he will be fine.

Either way, at least Cairns have guaranteed that if he can, it will be for them.

Reply #588472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont have any issue with the length of the contract. I just really hope he makes the effort needed to get his health right.

Reply #588475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I am the wildcats I let out a big sigh of relief. It was a win/win with whatever he chose to do really. If he stays, you get a fairly productive centre for 20 mins a game who impacts the game greatly.

If he leaves, it is by his choice and you avoid the fans anger. And you get to go and sign an import/marquee in his place who will be in shape, play more minutes and not be as injury prone.

Reply #588478 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think it will prove to be a win/win on many counts...

Reply #588479 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Cairns have a very ageing front court.

Reply #588480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope for Cairns sake they signed Jawai with a injury clause because based on his recent fitness and health issues he will not get thru a season let alone 3 years without his over weight body breaking down.

Jawai has had numerous opportunities to really dominate
where ever he played but unfortunately he never had the discipline to get himself into good shape by losing 10+ kilos. Now he's entering his 30's back home around family and friends the perfect surrounding to fall in the comfort zone trap letting the Cairns fans down by not leading the team back to the NBL finals.

Signing Jawai could cost Fearne his job if they dont get into the final this season!

Reply #588481 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Top bloke, great player all the best to him and cairns. Did an amazing job at his time in Perth, no one can judge a person on his weight?

There may be medical reasons he can't drop the weight, it's not always because you indulge in food.

It's a bit boring to hear about his weight, if he is happy that's all that matters.

Look forward to see him in the jungle. Nice tweet from the cats, thanking him for last season.

Reply #588484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ while I agree that sometimes we are a bit harsh on the bloke with respect to his medical troubles.

You can always judge a paid professional athlete on their weight. It's just a part of it.

Reply #588485 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Reply #588542 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Jawai's weight isn't the issue. It's how his whole body can cope with an entire season without a Knight and Jervis relieving him of minutes.

Jawai is a great asset. But requires a lot of management.

Reply #588543 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Will this aged creaking front court be the most fouling in the League.
Ever?
Unless Fearne seals the perimeter with subsequent signings, what else can they do?
A re-run of Markel Starks would guarantee it. [All the wonderful speed and no ball pressure.]
United et al will revel.

Reply #588545 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

It sure is a big, heavy, old front line for the Snakes. They desperately need a gun point guard and smalll forward from their import selections.

Perhaps they'll find a mobile big guy who can defend the perimeter for their 11th signing. Also, look for Fearne to play some small ball with:

Import PG
McCarron
Gliddon
Weigh/Worthington
Loughton/Worthington, or

Weeks
Gliddon
Import SF
Weigh/Worthington
Loughton/Worthington

Fearne is probably the only man on the planet capable of getting Nate to frop the 10-15kgs he really needs to drop in order to play his best basketball.

What I thought was funny about the deal is that there's an NBA/Europe out-clause for Nate!

Reply #588549 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We never really get to know the full story, but perhaps the length was the deal-breaker with Perth?
They were possibly offering better money, but only on a year by year basis. 3 years will give him some security.

Reply #588557 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

His time in Perth retrospectively couldn't have turned out any better, he played most of the season and despite back soreness he still helped win a title.

Cairns are a big old frontline and if I was a young big then I'd try and make my way up to Cairns as a pre season training player and you may get 11th spot... They certainly need a youngster that they can teach and give their undeniable insight to.

Good luck to Cairns, I think they will be fun to watch with Wortho, Nate, McCarron and Gliddon... If Weigh can knock down his perimeter shots then they become very formidable and that's not to mention Trigger's inside game or the unfulfilled talent of Loughton and the imports to come.

... They should have high ambitions this season

Reply #588578 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

As part of the deal securing his return, Jawai will assume the role of ambassador for the Cairns Taipans Indigenous Health and Wellbeing Initiative, an expansion of the club's existing Sea Swift Taipans Indigenous Programme, in conjunction with the Queensland Government.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/bamagas-nathan-jawai-to-return-to-cairns-taipans/news-story/f8f39b0c94f07e7d3b86d89b7ca88989

So reading between the lines Cairns secured funding from the government for this? Was this a reason Cairns was able to afford him??

Reply #588608 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Certainly looks like it. Good luck to him but makes a bit more sense now given what he was on at the Wildcats and the Taipans not exactly swimming in money.

Reply #588621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754