RMQ
Years ago

Wildcats likely to sign three imports for 16/17

With Jawai officially out of the picture, I think it's safe to assume the Wildcats will be using up 3 import spots.

Given our track record post Lisch (including Daniels) I'm excited at what the Wildcats have brewing.

Martin/Kenny
IMPORT/???
IMPORT/Hire*
knight/Wagstaff/Redhage*
IMPORT/Brandt

*Still no announcement on Hire and Redhage yet but I think they'll both be back.

Topic #39457 | Report this topic

Watto  
Years ago

Prather, Ennis and Dunigan!!

Reply #588454 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I heard on the rumour mill that Perth forked out 250k for Jawai last year. If that's true ypu would imagine that could get you a pretty decent big man on the market.

Reply #588455 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How is it safe to assume? Have they suggested as much? Hawks lost Lisch and look like they're planning 1-2 imports.

Reply #588459 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Isaac,

At a guess, I'd say that because Jawai counted as a Local, Wildcats will have to go to Imports to make up the loss.

Reply #588470 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Based on what has been reported.

It's been said with Jawai they would only utilise two imports. So without Jawai and no solid Aussie replacement odds are they'll go with three.

Reply #588477 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Aleks Maric' Spanish deal expires at the end of the month.....Cats could do alot worse than bringing him back to Australia.

Reply #588486 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I like your thinking there @Matt...

Reply #588487 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It might not be the worst idea in the world to give Brandt more minutes at the 5 spot, IMO. He was pretty damn solid to finish the year in Sydney.

Get a guy like Gladness to fill their inside rotation, and then spend big(ger) on the other two import spots. Any dominant import 5 is most likely already on bigger money somewhere else.

Reply #588489 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Maric wants big dollars and a retirement plan. Perth could provide that to him.

Reply #588552 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Ennis will more then likely get another opportunity in the NBA. He aint coming back.

Reply #588553 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Has Beal been ruled out to return?

Reply #588555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At a guess, I'd say that because Jawai counted as a Local, Wildcats will have to go to Imports to make up the loss.
"have to"? Maric, Motum and Bairstow are local, starting calibre centres.

Reply #588556 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Umm, that's almost exactly what Marvin said. If Jawai did not return, they would use the 3rd import slot.

Reply #588558 | Report this post

Oracle  
Years ago

bring back Luke Nevill

The stat that is not shown is that teams do not go in the key way period when he is on court.

Keep him on the court, coaches kept benching him as they had two centres and had to share... Big men don't like pine, keep them on the floor.

Reply #588561 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well it will either be an import or a high calibre Aussie. I can trust the Wildcats to recruit well.

Reply #588562 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So I'm guessing that either nobody wants Clint Steobdl or they think he doesn't want to be in Perth.

I'd love both him and Steindl and Prather.

I hope that no Jawai doesn't mean we still get Redhage as he should retire.

I'd rather not retain Beal, better players out there and we recruit pretty good players so who do we have for us next.

I'd still be interested in having Maynard in the squad (11th) or at worst training squad as I think he is worth the time putting into him

Reply #588576 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd like

Gladness/Brandt
Knight/Wagstaff
Steindl/Hire
Prather/Holt
Martin/Kenny/Maynard

I think that bench is deep and all have started in this league (except Maynard). So could have a vastly differing starting 5.

My thinking with Prather at SG is more of him defending the quicker guards than leave them to tear Steindl apart.

Holt loved Perth Arena!

Reply #588580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maynard looks like going down an AFL path so that doesn't look likely

Reply #588582 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wildcats have confirmed they will be chasing 3 imports this year including a big guy to replace Jawai. They have also stated that Prather is unlikely to return and that they will wait until after the Summer League to decide on keeping Beal.

Sad to see Prather going, he was coming along nicely.
http://www.wildcats.com.au/featured-news/summer-league-recruiting-plan/

Reply #588602 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I wouldn't rule Prather out, but his return does look unlikely.

Exciting times ahead with three potential gun imports heading our way.

Reply #588603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754