Anonymous
Years ago

Casey Prather unlikely to return to the Wildcats

Reported today in Perth that Casey Prather will be chasing his NBA dream so is unlikely to return.The wildcats will also assess other imports before deciding on Beal

Topic #39463 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Beal has been consistent and is a known commodity. Just sign him.

Reply #588607 | Report this post

blitz1984  
Years ago

Beal wants to much coin I've heard he has 2 championship rings so he'll go to the highest bidder

Reply #588610 | Report this post

fSTOS  
Years ago

Beal and consistent should never be used in the same sentence.

Reply #588616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess it's a wait and see approach with Prather. If he doesn't make the NBA, perhaps then he'd consider coming back?

"Greg Hire and Shawn Redhage are set to remain with the club, but Perth has ruled out chasing the likes of established Australians Cam Bairstow and Brock Motum."

Sounds like we will spend big on imports as our strategy.

Reply #588617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothings changed then

Reply #588618 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

As I said earlier, Prather will get an summer league gig and Perth can afford to wait for the outcome before deciding. Ennis will most probably stay in the NBA as well.

Right now Perth has lost Jervis, Jawai and maybe even Prather. It will be interesting how they go in replacing those key guys. I guess Brandt will replace Jervis.

Reply #588626 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And in other "breaking news"...

The sky is blue, and Santa Claus is fictitious.

It's been known since day one that Prather was chasing his NBA dream. NOTHING has changed.
He will try for an NBA Summer-League gig, and then try to leverage that into an NBA contract. Naturally we wish him every success. If it doesn't pan out, we'd love to have him back.

That's the thing with chasing quality imports. We could do what other teams do and sign crabs nobody else wants. Or you chase quality like Ennis and Prather. (Even DD was a good player, just not quite the right fit at that time.)

Same with Beal, nothing new there. He's a very good NBL player, but for an import not fantastic. We'll look and see what's available, and he'll be looking at his options as well.

Really the only thing that has changed is Jawai, but even that was somehow foreshadowed when Marvin said some time back that they would use their 3rd import slot to replace him if he didn't return.

That said, I would not be surprised if there is a still a twist, when the final signings are announced.

It IS frustrating as a fan that so much is still undecided. It also means the coming season could be a real gamble if we have 3 new imports. They could be 3 guns, or 3 dogs.

Reply #588627 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on as always Dazz, the Wildcats don't waste their time signing crabs like Childress, Jackson, Warrick, Randle, Wilbekin, Clarke, Ibekwe, Wilkinson, McRae etc like other teams have in recent years. We're so lucky to have Perth maintaining standards for the rest of the league with players like Deandre Daniels. ;-)

Reply #588628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wildcats site:

The Perth Wildcats can reveal that it intends to sign three import players following a recruitment trip to the United States this July.

Championship centre Nate Jawai has signed a contract with his hometown club the Cairns Taipans and will not be returning to Perth.

This decision means the Wildcats will attend NBA Summer Leagues in Orland, Utah and Vegas with the intention of finding an import centre to fill the role occupied by Jawai in the 2015/16 season.

2016 club MVP Casey Prather has also informed the club that he is focused on achieving his dream of playing in the NBA, and is unlikely to return.

Reply #588634 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"The Perth Wildcats ... would like to retain ... Jermaine Beal, but won't make a final decision until after the NBA Summer Leagues."

also from yesterday's article on the Wildcats' site.^

Reply #588653 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Martin/Kenny
*Beal/Holt
Import/Hire
Knight/Waggstaff/Import
Import/Brandt

*Naturalized

Reply #588656 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Paul
"Spot on as always Dazz, the Wildcats don't waste their time signing crabs like Childress, Jackson, Warrick, Randle, Wilbekin, Clarke, Ibekwe, Wilkinson, McRae etc"

I think you mean Crabdress, Jacrabson, Warricrab, Crabdle, Wilcrabekin, Crabke, Icrabwe, Wilcrabinson, McCrab, etc

;)

Reply #588698 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Where did I say that any of those players were crabs?
(Have you been smoking something again?)

Really can't fathom how anybody could consider ANY of the players you listed as "crabs nobody else wants"???

Or are you saying there has never been an unsuccessful import in the NBL?

As I said, its a gamble, "They could be 3 guns, or 3 dogs". But at least the Cats TRY to aim for quality.
We don't go scouting the SBL or NZNBL for our imports.

DD was an NBA draftee, not some nobody we found at the local rec centre.

Reply #588700 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We're so lucky to have Perth maintaining standards for the rest of the league
Yes, yes we are.
I'm glad you realise that.

7 championships and 30 consecutive finals appearances don't lie.

Reply #588701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, you specifically said:

We could do what other teams do and sign crabs nobody else wants.
Once upon a time, that was Redhage.

Reply #588709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz68 it's a 3 import rule not 4 lol

Reply #588749 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Anon you need to check the new rules holt would be a non-restricted player.

Reply #588753 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Pete Hansen was from the SBL and became a finals MVP. I'd hope that the Wildcats look at state leagues for imports. It'd be crazy to rule out someone just because of where they play.

Reply #588754 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

I hear what your saying Watto and you would hope if a sbl import was tearing it up in the league they would get a try out or at the very least training fodder.

Reply #588777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz, that generally is the case. Turner and Swing trained with the Cats last year.

Ben Beran a few years back.

Reply #588778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage was never a crab Isaac. Green? was it for NZ is now.

Reply #588779 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Cheers Anon good to see the cats have a all seeing eye then that should not surprise me.

Reply #588785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should be surprised because I don't think they were that clever then.

Reply #588788 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

From a basketball point of view ill take championships over clever anyday.

Reply #588790 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Pete Hansen was from the SBL and became a finals MVP. I'd hope that the Wildcats look at state leagues for imports. It'd be crazy to rule out someone just because of where they play

It should tell you something that you needed to go back a quarter of a century to find an example...

The NBL was still really in its infancy, and whilst we had some fantastic imports in that era, reality is that the NBL then would not have been as attractive to high quality of players we can attract today.

The point is that if you pick up quality young players like Ennis, Prather, MacRae, etc, etc, you know there's a good chance that a season in the NBL will simply be a stepping stone to either another crack at the NBA or Europe. That's the risk you take in chasing quality.
If you want to be safe, and know that your import will be begging for a new contract, you aim for someone at a lower tier.
Someone like Beal is probably somewhere in the middle of those two. NBA is off the table, and he probably won't get a substantially better offer elsewhere. He's an excellent player, but there are undoubtedly better available. (Finding them and convincing the to come to Australia might be the hard part.)

For the record though, I love Dolla, and hope he stays, settles down, and gets naturalised.
But if so, we need to make sure that SF is a gun, and can shoot 3's.

Reply #588795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz68 how does holt qualify as a non-restricted player?

Reply #588802 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Holt's father, Greg, is American, while his mother, Jackie, is Filipino.

Reply #588804 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

As much as I love Prathers game, I doubt very much if he will make an NBA roster. Ennis is struggling to keep his NBA dream alive and he is more polished than Prather. If anything Perth will lose Prather to more lucrative $$ in Europe. Having said that, I'm pretty excited to seeing who Perth's 3 imports will be.

Reply #588807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt can use the Asian excuse. Pathetic.

Reply #588811 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

we need an import that can shoot the 3?

I think getting Clint Steindl helps that a lot and having Holt on the bench is a killer stroke!

We dont need Beal so if say 36ers offer him more $ then getting another gun like Prather that can play 2-3 would be ideal, Prather's issues were his shooting mechanics so obviously for us to get a great import then they will have some flaw whether it is that or inability to defend or balhandling/passing... I trust the Wildcats to find us the right imports but I would love to have an elite shot blocker like Mickell Gladness

Reply #588816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't use that daz68, think you need to re-check the 'rules'

Reply #588819 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754