Trimlet
Years ago

Ball Up Touring Australia

Have anyone seen of heard much about this Ball Up tour?
I read they are touring Australia for a month taking their show to all the major cities.

Wanted to get some feedback on them before I make a decision to see them or not.

Topic #39471 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It is basically just streetball, dude. It is all showboating and no defense. It would be okay for a night out but don't expect anything close to basketball purity.

For $35 a ticket it isn't really too bad.

Reply #588697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have played Hobart and Knox already and it's streetball so if you are a purist font go. See exceptional ball handling, massive dunks and the chance to see a local side compete against the, then get there. Geelong tonight.
The best Aussie streetballer will win a $US300,000 contract too. Tickers from $25 I believe.

Reply #588717 | Report this post

Trimlet  
Years ago

How was the atmosphere and did they get a good turnout to cheer on the local players?

Reply #588728 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

WA players wanting to be apart of it can attend an "Open Run" try out on June 11 at Perth Arena. Try out starts at 1pm.

The best players from that try out will get to play against the ball up crew.

Reply #588740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

saw them in hobart. as mentioned earlier was worthwhile for a night out.

unfortunately i cashed out for the $50 gold seats to end up sitting pretty much mid court on raised seating behind a desk with 2 of the 'officials', the dj chick touring with them and a production guy managing the big screen. at both ends of the court i had blocked vision just outside the arc.

professor strained his groin within the first 2mins and was pretty much the big drawcard for me. bone collector and smith made up for it however while mosquito and AO provided plenty of entertainment.

the tassie boy that made it into the all star game was quite impressive however...keep an eye out for him

Reply #588810 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Question - do they play ball up players vs ball up players? And how do they utilise the locals in the event?

Reply #588828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of the kids in the All Star side were Tassie kids except 2. They acquitted themselves very well.
Unfortunately the All Star side had 2 injuries and were undermanned yet well tested.

Reply #588829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I briefly thought about going to the Perth one but decided not to. Anyone went can advise how it was?

Reply #589121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide picked 3 players for the GF. How does that work

Reply #589124 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Because Adelaide was the closest game and showed the most potential. I just saw that the Bone Collector said on Facebook that they'd just beaten a team "made up of Aussie professional players." I really had to laugh at that. I then also had to comment and set him straight on just how far from our pro league any of them were.

I got free tickets to Ball Up, and I would have been pretty pissed if I actually paid for it. The professor was out due to injury, and the standard of play was okay, but I hardly think these guys are really Americas best streetballers.

Reply #589125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only have played in 5 cities and 4 excluding Perth. Hardly a great idea to pick 3 from Adelaide.
Certainly the standard is a lot lower than I thought. Prof is injured and someone else.
What have the crowds been like?

Reply #589132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was thinking of taking 2 teams of junior boys to watch them in Sydney but based on Prof being injured and the comments of average standard I might be better off doing something else, plus the boys hadn't heard of Ball Up.

Reply #589133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how many minutes he's been playing.
The dunks and skills are awesome. Is there any streetballer in Australia that's worth $US300,000? I seriously doubt it.

Reply #589135 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ball up have been playing teenagers in each state and have only been winning by narrow margins. If anyone on the ball up team is worth 300K, surely some of the kids competing against them are.

But then again, it is all relative. The Professor might be worth something like that but he isn't even good enough to be a development player in the NBL if you rated him on his true basketball ability.

I am sure they will find a kid as good as anyone in Ball Up from Australia. I am sure it will be enough for them to justify the contract. I truly don't think anyone in the Ball Up team is THAT good that they don't have Australian equivalents. I mean they're almost losing to KIDS for god sake. Average age of half of these Aus City teams is about 17-19. The Professor is 32, Bone Collector, AO have to be nearing 30 or more.

Reply #589148 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The thing with the Ball Up guys are - They don't take these games as serious competition if you were in league.

That means they are hitting up the club after games. drinking etc. No ones in bed by 9pm and reviewing tape.

It's a cultural thing as well. Aussies with the talent, skill level and size to make the Ball Up guys work are either committed to state league competitions, can't be bothered or don't want to risk being embarrassed.

So what they get left with is teenages and young 20 year olds that just love the game.

The Ball Up team is all about marketing. So of course they'll exaggerate their accomplishments.

As far as skill level for the Ball Up crew. I think there's clearly two types of players on the team. The Streetball legends like AO and Bone Collector who are well passed the wrong side of 35 now. These guys made a name for themselves over 10 years ago and can still go for their age... but gotta remember AO is like 42 now!

Then you got some young cats out there with Zach LaVine like athleticism, but you don't see much else beyond that. Maybe they got some actual fundamental skills, but you won't see it in the Ball Up environment. Then there is The Mosquito, who's shorter than the professor. He's quick, has a gimmick and is entertaining but his jump shot is ass.

Basically don't expect anything other than entertainment from an exhibition like Ball Up and you'll enjoy the night out.

Reply #589156 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cancelled in Cairns "due to factors affecting previous Ball Up events."

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=441d97fa6c52a61b80eb3e0f5&id=182569e2f0&e=29004e3940

I was holding out for free or cheap last minute tickets but am not upset by it being cancelled.

Reply #589170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Basically don't expect anything other than entertainment"

I wouldn't even expect that.

Reply #589172 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Free would be the only way to see it anyway. With the Professor out there is really few draws to it.

Reply #589176 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Due to factors affecting previous games? Can they be a little more specific?

Reply #589177 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^low attendance. Injured players. No local talent to play against.

Reply #589181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO local talent doesn't say much about the local talent for the future.
The already good players are identified and hopefully there would be some extra talent about. It's street ball, but who cares. Little if any local talent about is a tragedy.

Reply #589184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cancellation of the Cairns visit means another spot available, maybe 3 from adel. So where else will be cancelled?

Reply #589185 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

No local talent doesn't say anything.

It's a lot harder than you think to recruit locals to play against the ball up team.

Contrary to what many people think. The ball up team would match up well against most state league teams if they actually tried. Not saying they would be better, but it would be competitive.

Most local talent capable of playing at that level already have commitments at that level and aren't allowed by their clubs and coaches to play.

What's left are the junior undeveloped and undersized players who are completely out of their depth against paid professionals.

Reply #589188 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sounds like someone wasn't very good at getting people to play.

Reply #589189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754