Anomious
Years ago

Father / son rule should it apply in NBL

What do you think

Just because you may have played at the NBL level years ago
should your off spring automatically get to play at premier league or NBL level

Doesnt seem right to me i think you should have to earn the right it shouldnt just be given

Especially if they are rubbish at the game

Topic #39497 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

So who specifically are you whingeing about?
Might as well come out and name them, so that at least we have some clue what you are on about.

Reply #589136 | Report this post

Anomious  
Years ago

Its easy to workout
Some young player who is in state under 18 boys currently playing in prem league for CD
Rumored to be moving towards NBL soon

Reply #589137 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No need for specifics, Dazz.
It's pretty obvious that if your dad was an NBL player, you should automatically be entitled to a guaranteed roster spot (I was going to say starting spot, but that is probably debatable) and a guaranteed allocation of minutes per game for at least 2 seasons.
Why is this even a thread? Good luck coming up with any sort of a sensible counter-argument!

Reply #589138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Ricey too ;) Worked well last time.

Reply #589139 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Um the only thing that I can understand about this post is are you saying that lets use Keanu Pinder as an example, his Dad was a champion for the Wildcats, are the league going to do something to make sure that Keanu becomes a Wildcat?

What incentives should be put in place?

Should the Wildcats get some sort of exemptions when trying to get Cody Ellis playing for them thanks to his Dad Mike?

End of the day there is 11 roster spots available per side and that is not enough to be gifting any player a spot judged on who their relatives are!

Reply #589141 | Report this post

Anomious  
Years ago

I dont think anyone should be given a spot because of a parent
it should be awarded on skill and ability
Not blood lines
Should be earned
Thats why basketball will never get any better in this state and country because of nepotisum

I hear a tumor that the red white and blue club up north is full of its parents in positions of power putting their off springs in prem league sides and dumping great players

disgraceful if true

And iwhat makes it worse is when they have no real skills or talent to play at this level is insulting to other clubs

Reply #589143 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The irony, considering the fantastic amount of nepotism and cronyism that exists in juniors, is that who your dad is counts for far less when it comes to the NBL.

Reply #589144 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon OP, you seem to almost be asking a valid question about something which exists in the AFL, not sure how many other sports have a 'Father Son' rule, which could work in the NBL I guess.

But then you destroy the integrity of your attempt by making statements which obviously lead us to presume you have some beef with some kids given what you see as a free ride ahead of others in the sport. You are making it personal!

Sadly, yes there sometimes appears to be decisions made especially at junior level that prove to be either bad decisions at the time or they are revealed as favoritism later, however this is not what a father-son rule is about, nor should it be.

If a kid coming through the ranks in basketball is good enough, they may get an NBL gig, no matter who their father is, but if they are just not going to cut it don't worry because they won't last long in the NBL regardless.

Even in the AFL you have some examples of clubs not taking the father-son option on a player, sometimes this comes back to haunt the club, other times they have made the right decision, but they still have to make a decision based on the potential and skill of that player because everyone in the football department is made accountable if the player is found wanting.

I would be less concerned about whether a father-son rule gives a player a free ride and more concerned about having my kid work hard to get the best out of him/her self, if I were you...

Anyway, father-son rules apply in a draft situation, the NBL doesn't have such a thing, so any club is free to choose who they wish, making the topic kind of a moot point!

Reply #589151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty dumb thread as like Bear points out there is no father son rule in nbl.
Maybe if there was a rule where the club gets an advantage in salary cap or points system etc it might have merit but is the afl the only league that has the father son rule?
And not hard to workout who the kid mentioned here is, either way he'll never make an nbl squad anyway. Where's this rumour he's off to the nbl, he's off to high school in the US apparently.
Ps, if you can't work it out the club is centrals.

Reply #589158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sour grapes mate. Nepotism obviously exists in juniors everywhere and it always will as its mainly a volunteer driven industry. End of the day if a kid isn't good enough for the nbl they won't last more than 2 seasons.

Reply #589159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a kid isn't good enough their parent shouldn't get them into the NBL full stop.
If the kid isn't good enough they shouldn't even get in the NBL yet many do. Let alone last 2 seasons. Yet many do.

Reply #589160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what this whinge is about. As an SA forum member, i have no idea what names people are trying to indirectly mention. Say who and what the issue is or dont post this garbage. In the AFL IF the son is of AFL level, he has the right to play for his fathers team. Its simple as that. In the NBL, perhaps the Melbourne Tigers couldve hoped to get Ben Simmons haha

Reply #589164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Anomious', are you serious? This is a rubbish thread, that you intended to specifically target a player in the junior ranks as well as the family. Grow up, what a ridiculous thing to start.

For a little tip, NO NBL TEAM IS SIGNING A PLAYER IF THEY ARE NOT AT THE LEVEL! the coaches job is on the line also.

Reply #589200 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The only reason the Father-Son rule is even a thing in the AFL is because AFL players get drafted to teams.
There's no draft in the NBL so I don't see any need for a rule whose sole purpose is to tweak the way the draft functions.

Reply #589203 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But that's not the rule Anomious is talking about. They're talking about a rule that mandates an NBL team must sign a player if his father played for them.

Reply #589209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they are poorly implying that someone is getting a run when they might not be up to it. That's on the club in question - their call completely. If the player isn't good enough, the club is only shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe it's worth it. An NBL club running a Chinese player to get attention abroad, or not sacking a draft-pick import to maintain a relationship with NBA scouts - so be it.

If it's for a training position, remember that often many players rule themselves out of that through lack of time. If you're working F/T, you often can't justify being training bait with an NBL club. The development players for an NBL team aren't always the best available young players.

Reply #589691 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, they are poorly implying that someone is getting a run when they might not be up to it. That's on the club in question - their call completely.
If they were implying that, they wouldn't have described it as a 'rule'. Obviously.

Therefore, it must be what I said. There are no other sensible possibilities.

Reply #589713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754