Zodiac
Years ago

Bogut says 'highly unlikely' for Rio

"I'm not great at maths, but six to eight weeks minimum is what I've been told, so it is very unlikely at this point, to be honest," Bogut told reporters in Cleveland ahead of the Warriors' game six clash with the Cavaliers.

"We are going to re-evaluate it in a month and if a miracle happens and it feels great in a month and I can get back on the court, we'll see. But as of now, it's not looking good."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-17/andrew-bogut-hoping-for-rio-2016-miracle/7519068

Topic #39513 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

at least he's still committed /s

Reply #589403 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

^ R u serious? If it's a 6-8 week injury and the Olympics are in 7 weeks he will statistically be a 50:50 chance, not "highly unlikely".

Reply #589409 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's 6-8 until he can return, but whether he'd be able to step straight in and play well at the intensity of Olympic competition adds another layer to it.

Reply #589414 | Report this post

Master Debator  
Years ago

Why risk it not worth it

Reply #589416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely not worth it. Hate to say it guys but the Olympics is a dying breed of sports competition. Bogut will do what's best for his health as he should.

Reply #589463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is aron baynes better than bogut anyway

Reply #589468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can be as committed as he wants, however 6-8 weeks means no training, minimal gym stuff and no match fitness. No game and no Olympics.

Reply #589469 | Report this post

Timmy  
Years ago

Exactly. When they say 6-8 weeks they don't mean he's going to be back in peak condition in that time. He'd be well underdone and risk re-injuring himself to rush back to the Olympics. He'd have zero game fitness and as someone else said, have minimal gym/strength anyway. It's a shame but what can you do.

Reply #589471 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He said he will reconsider it in a month. In that time I hope they move ahead without changing their offence and defence to assume he will be there. If he recovers quickly it is a bonus, but it shouldn't factor into coaching plans in the meantime.

Reply #589480 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Gym strength isn't necessarily true. If he's injured his leg he can still do upper body weights. The real issue would be recovery at his age, and chance of reinjuring it if he stepped straight back into an Olympic level game. Hopefully he can play, but if not it's understandable

Reply #589482 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I would think that the next big injury would see him retire, so I expect the Warriors to put some real pressure on him to recover fully and play next season rather than run risks at Rio when not fully healed.

While I appreciate his dedication to the Boomers, I would prefer him to make the decision to stay away so that the Boomers can plan around his absence. There would be nothing worse for players and coach than having to spend time preparing for two scenarios; they'll have enough trouble getting ready as it is.

Reply #589484 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Agreed with Hoopie. They should plan without him and if they get him it is a bonus.

Reply #589502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754