Baller#3
Years ago

Memorial Drive upgrade could be more

The liberals have pledged $10 million to the redevelopment, which envisages a new memorial drive arena. Problem is it seems like it will be a tennis only stadium... Is this a waste? I feel like in this day it's best to have a world class stadium that can cater for all indoor sporting events, rather then a great single sport stadium. A multi use stadium in this location would do wonders for the economy and would be a million times easier to access them the dome and whatever ETSA park is called now.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2016/06/28/memorial-drive-redevelopment-vision-unveiled-in-adelaide

Topic #39560 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Are there enough events available for Adeliade to have a tennis tournament again with works class players?

Are they trying to get a Davis Cup tie?

Reply #590155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's also the upgrade of Her Majesty's Theatre which will pick-up overflow from the Festival Theatre.

I wouldn't have thought that $10m would be anywhere near enough to make it an all-weather area that suited basketball, but the concept video looks very good - enclosed space, modern design, etc.

Reply #590159 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Even if it does cater to basketball. The 36ers probably wouldn't move since the owners actually own Titanium Arena, and are in a good position to actually make money for once.

Reply #590160 | Report this post

grovermister  
Years ago

the bigger drawing teams could play there

i.e. 36ers vs perth or melb

if the team is playing well then why not move to a bigger venue for the show case games and finals

would be great for the state and competition

and also i belive this is another tick in the box for a potential commonwealth games bid

win/win for everyone

Reply #590163 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

believe the current plan does not have a roof - tennis sa / aust want a roof.

I have no problem with all these community sports bodies getting upgrades. Creates employment and gives our next generation good facilities.

Reply #590172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the current $10m is to redevelop the outdoor courts and not the main arena. The main arena would cost an extra $190m which will probably come at the next State Election. If the arena is built the 36ers would most likely be playing all their games there as otherwise I don't think they'd build it for only tennis (probably only need it for a week a year, or maybe an extra weekend if it hosts a Davis Cup tie) and only 5 games of basketball and netball there a year.

Reply #590227 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

It mentions netball and basketball in the article. What size stadium can we expect? 10,000+ seats? A lot of 36ers fans would come out of hiding to attend the city stadium and I think with Netball Australia evolving so much they would push it as well.

What I don't understand is they are only pledging 10M. Of it will cost hundreds of millions what is he 10M for?

Reply #590253 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If it were up to me I'd aim for 15,000 seats, no point under doing it. But importantly have the ability for it be reduced to 10,000 for smaller events such as 6er games.

Reply #590275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754