Wilson Sting
Years ago

Taipans release Cam Tragardh

http://www.taipans.com/featured-news/taipans-release-cameron-tragardh/

Didn't see this one coming; Taipans have some big plans if they can afford to release him and pay him out.

I suspect those plans include re-signing Burston on a cheaper contract.

Topic #39562 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Must be something in the works. Imagine if they scored Bairstow!

Reply #590197 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

On the surface this seems like an odd move. Over the past two seasons he never seemed a good fit in Fearne's system though.

Would really like to see him come home to Brisbane, but don't think that will happen this season with the roster as it is.

Reply #590199 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

won best 6th man 2 season ago, so I didn't think he had a problem fitting in. Even if defence isn't his greatest asset.

without knowing the facts of what/how/why it happened it's hard to say anything except that he gave the orange his all on and off the court, and the Orange Army has to appreciate that.

Everything but the man bun will be missed.

Reply #590200 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

The man-bun was his undoing !

Reply #590201 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Wasn't he playing state league this season with the Marlins, or is he injured again?

Reply #590202 | Report this post

miracle.touch  
Years ago

He came back from an ankle injury last weekend for the Marlins. 19pts but not too many other stats to speak of.

Reply #590203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be just about done surely. Had even less lift than ever last season, and that hair, made Greg Hire seem fahsionable.

Reply #590204 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I wouldn't have thought the Taipans would have the money to cut someone, pay them out and then sign someone else (particularly to a big contract). Unless they're not paying him out in full??

Reply #590215 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A shame, one of the real characters of the league.

Reply #590230 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Certainly a big surprise coming from a team like Cairns, Perth, sure... Is it still the norm that the "financial obligations" would extend to Cairns paying him out only if he doesn't get another deal up to what he had with them? Like others, I can't see them splashing the cash around to just cut someone willy nilly...

Still a few options though, maybe heading back to the Hawks?

Seems like a genuinely nice guy, man bun aside, so it's a shame to see this happen...

Reply #590231 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So there is a chance they can re-sign Burston to lesser contract but not re-sign Trigger to the lesser contract himself?

This feels somewhat wrong like Trigger didn't get along with Jawai or McCarron or something because it just came out of the blue

Reply #590237 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Neither Wortho or Jawaii will come off the bench so what's the play here? Paying out(when your not flush)a crowd favourite early for say a young college kid may not end well.

Reply #590256 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is Wortho's last season so he might be willing to come off of the bench but with the signing of Jawai your need for Burston over Tragardh becomes much much greater.

Reply #590307 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

More than likely, Trigger was released purely for the need to gain athleticism in the post. None of Jawai, Loughton, Wotho or Trigger are athletic, and Wortho is the only half-way decent perimeter defender of the lot of them.

The reason it was Trigger and not Loughton would probably come down to the fact that Loughton has two years left on his contract, and Trigger just had this year. There may have been basketball related reasons, too!

The Snakes will be looking to sign (or are already on the verge of signing) an athletic 4 or 5 man. I can't see why they would do this otherwise.

I have very good intel that prior to signing Jawai, the club was looking at TWO "really good" Australian players. They are still looking for a point guard, a small forward and a power player, so it's possible it could be Bairstow. I doubt it, unless they have found a strong sponsor in a local economy that's pretty weak at the moment.

He will probably be replaced by a college grad from the US, I think. I doubt Burston will be back, unfortunately. He still has a lot of upside, too.

Reply #590339 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

But where's the money coming from?

Reply #590341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't the TWO really good Australians be - Jawai and Mccaron?

Reply #590348 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The plot thickens with Adelaide releasing Lucas Walker.

Reply #590350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would expect McCarron to be a back-up at this stage of his career. Lots of potential though.

Reply #590358 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

@snooch, i hear (silent) local investors who dont want to be named???

Reply #590388 | Report this post

Clare  
Years ago

3 imports will be announced very soon.

Reply #590394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I doubt it, unless they have found a strong sponsor in a local economy...
There's a Tragardh joke in this somewhere!

Reply #590396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word I'm hearing is that

1. The Taipans/ Marlins were VERY unhappy about his recent conduct whilst injured (trouncing about the country filling social media feeds with pics of him drinking& living it up), and

2. he & Loughton are butting heads to the point where one of them had to go. As pointed out by Freethrows, Trigger probably drew the short straw due to the shorter contract & lesser payout figure.

Personally, I would have preferred to keep Trigger over Loughton as I think the latter has no more to offer at NBL level.

As for the 50% payout, probably best not to comment unless you've read the contract terms.

Reply #590452 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Why? This is a forum where people discuss stuff, and discussing why he only got 50% of his contract paid out is valid.

Ultimately he's agreed to it, so it's moot anyway, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

Reply #590457 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

50% payout the contract terms. Nothing to see here.

Reply #590460 | Report this post

Waston  
Years ago

Was there a comment made by the team captain or did he back Fearne's decision to release Tragardh?

Reply #590463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@590452

1. he did the same thing at the tigers, team on the road, he was at the st kilda festival with 2 beers in his hand and he was out with a ankle injury

good dude sometimes, but can be a bad seed.

Reply #590467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754