Baller
Years ago

Beal not re-signing with Wildcats

Rumors around basketball circles (1 close to the Cats camp)Beal not re-signing.

Topic #39563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's well known.

Reply #590234 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Id be interested to know why??

Reply #590235 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Best news I heard all day, done his job time to move on and give Clint Steindl a red jersey

Reply #590238 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I wanted him at Adelaide for ages, I don't understand why the wildcats wouldn't re-sign a proven star now that they can get 3 imports. I really hope he gets another gig in the NBL.

Reply #590251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems a strange decision if initiated by Perth. He's not perfect but carried a huge offensive workload the past couple of years. Durable player and can be counted on in big games. Seemed to really like it here too and generally a fan favorite. Not to mention his ability to play point guard is a big bonus given Martin's injuries. What gives?

Reply #590260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess is $. Beal's been on a pretty solid contract for the last few years and Perth probably wanted to give him a pay cut. Beal wouldn't go for it, so they part ways. Win-win for both sides though, Beal will get his money somewhere else (maybe Adelaide) and Perth will have more money for the big splash in imports they're planning for next season.

Reply #590270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be asking too much? Strikes me as a serviceable type - good second import - but perhaps either Perth have loads more to spend on getting better or think he's asking more than he should?

Reply #590274 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Beal's value is in him gaining citizenship.

While a known commodity, and thus lower risk - the wildcats need a trio of imports. So a younger, newer model with the same specs might be available.

Additionally, if the Wildcats sign a new PF/C and a new swingman, then Beals position may require slightly different specs to what Beal posses, so the Wildcats need to keep that flexibility in the off-season.

There is also the alleged off-court stuff too, which by the sound of things is becoming harder to manage - but that's just rumours.

It's still too early to completely rule Beal out, but it's looking less likely that he will return.

Reply #590278 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Sad to see him leave if true. Finals MVP, 40 point game.. the dunk off the Redhage behind the back, Dolla Bills from the ceiling.. etc.

Looks like 3 new imports it is..

Reply #590281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal apparently was less than thankful to the fans in the function after winning the GF. That sort of stuff gets you shown the door at the Cats.

Reply #590282 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Less than thankful to the fans?

C'mon mate. Beal has always been a great guy to fans & anyone alike.

Sure both camps have their reasons.

Reply #590285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you were at the function?

Reply #590286 | Report this post

7 time champs  
Years ago

Great player, goes missing at times. Especially against the qld teams. Great bloke, interesting that they don't retain him and next season play as a local.

Reply #590288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't mind him leaving. He has been a solid player as the second fiddle type import. But I definitely think there are import players available for less money that can do similar if not better than Beal.

A decent 3 point shooter but nothing spectacular at 35% and his field goal is 36%. Very solid, but not elite at anything.

Reply #590289 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Ricky Grace available? Local too...

Reply #590291 | Report this post

blitz101  
Years ago

Check out the Twitter nblinfo someone not happy with him

Reply #590293 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure I would really want him at the 36ers he's very inconsistent or consistently inconsistent and think you can get more out of an import.

I suppose it will depend on what he's willing to play for but he's not the kind of player you would want to spend too much on.

Reply #590297 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And of course the dimwits can't miss any opportunity to talk crap about the Wildcats, past and present.

The notion of Beal not returning is nothing new. The Cats admitted as much months ago. They were always looking for 2 new imports, 3 if Jawai didn't return, on the expectation that Prather would pursue his NBA dream, and Beal was a fall-back.
As I have said in another thread, I'm a bit worried about the Cats looking for 3 new imports in the summer League around which to build their team. Even if they find 3 gems, its basically rebuilding from scratch.

Beal has been an excellent player for us, but as an import he's probably only just above average, and if you consider that Perth don't exactly go shopping in the bargain basement, you'd have to say there are better imports available. (Although finding the right one can be a bit of a gamble.)
One of Beal's strengths is his ability to run plays when Martin is off or injured. However they have shown last Season that Kenny & Wroe can fill the PG void when required.
Beal had a few really off games, and his 3 point shooting is volume driven. Theoretically he would be better in a team where he was really needed at point, and theoretically the Cats would be better off with a dedicated SG, who hit the 3's at a higher %.

Ultimately Perth were always going to wait until they scoped the Summer League talent, and acknowledged the risk that Beal could sign elsewhere.

As for the other stuff. Sure, I'd like all our players to be the male equivalent of Mother Theresa. If you find any such players, let me know.

Reply #590313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's talking crap about the wildcats Dazz?

All I can see is pretty decent discussion.

Reply #590315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One of Beal's strengths is his ability to run plays"

He can handle the ball. Run a play? Not sure that is one of his strengths.

Reply #590317 | Report this post

7 time champs  
Years ago

Ennis and Prather made him look a better, when Daniels was here Beal never stepped up when he had to. When his on he is up there as a great.

Reply #590319 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Who's talking crap about the wildcats Dazz?

All I can see is pretty decent discussion.
Thankfully Isaac has deleted the post in question. :-)

Reply #590326 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"One of Beal's strengths is his ability to run plays"

He can handle the ball. Run a play? Not sure that is one of his strengths.
So why don't you quote what I actually said?
"One of Beal's strengths is his ability to run plays when Martin is off or injured."
When you have a SG, who can also run the point at times, that's an advantage. In the past, with no viable backup PG (we had U'u) we needed that. With Kenny & Wroe, not so much.

Reply #590328 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

One of Beal's weaknesses was how he handled being double teamed off the pick and roll. He never seemed to improve during his stay in Perth.

And in 2014 Perth was rebuilding (7 new players plus head coach I think?), and won a championship so if they need to 'rebuild' again for 2017 I'm sure they'll be fine

Reply #590329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud.

I would take Dolla above Steindl anyday.

Dolla offers more speed and IQ than Steindl. Steindl maybe a better shot but does not make up for what Dolla has above him.

Reply #590337 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Why is everyone panicking about them picking up 3 summer league players?

There is no rush to finalize anything at this time of year other than your aussie/local contingent. Of which they have pretty much done (Martin/Kenny/Hire/Wagstaff/Knight).

Storm in a tea cup.

Reply #590344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Beal was a better defender than Kenny. As good as Kenny is, he lacks lateral quickness. Generally I think Beal is a better athlete.

He has become streaky though. I think he was influential in some really key games, and earned his money overall.

I think Perth overall has suffered at times with reliability of points production from their back court. If Martin is not going to score, they really need to receive points and spacing from their SG, on a consistent basis.

Reply #590360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To those saying that Beal should be let go because he's shown he's only good at being a "2nd option", well, what's wrong with that? As you know, when building a winning team you need guys who can fit into roles. If the Cats are chasing "studs" at the NBA Summer League they could theoretically get two and still keep Beal. I think he's great in that role. Regarding getting a "younger model", Beal is not that old yet and as others have mentioned knows this league, this city, this franchise's culture and may get Aussie citizenship. I think the Cats better have a really good option if they're going to let him go (assuming he wants to stay).

Reply #590362 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I loved watching Beal play (especially when it didn't look like he could miss if he tried), but like many have said in other posts, he is very inconsistent. Would have loved to see him stick around but unfortunately the days of Grace, Crawford are over, our imports aren't willing to stick around if there is an opportunity elsewhere and the Cats aren't willing to pay them overs to keep them if they want to go.
New imports=New excitement and opportunities, looking forward to 2016/17.

Reply #590363 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think Beal would be a good fit up in Brisbane (wonder if Jervis is trying to get him up there) and I think Holt would be a terrific option coming off the bench.

Something like...

Gladness/Brandt
Knight/Wagstaff
Stud import/Steindl/Hire
Import/Holt
Martin/Kenny

That's a lineup that will be highly competitive within the group with all bench players capable of starting but success will be dependant on how good the imports are and if their shots drop... Still a good defensive and rebounding side

Reply #590376 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I thought Beal was a better defender than Kenny. As good as Kenny is, he lacks lateral quickness. Generally I think Beal is a better athlete.
Why would you compare the two?
Kenny is a bench player, a backup PG who will only see serious minutes if Martin is injured. A role he's well suited to.
Beal is an import, and a starting SG.

Reply #590652 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

To those saying that Beal should be let go because he's shown he's only good at being a "2nd option", well, what's wrong with that? As you know, when building a winning team you need guys who can fit into roles.
Not sure anybody has said that, or anything close.
Nobody is disputing that Beal is a good player, but there are undoubtedly better players out there, and that is who Perth will be trying to find. If they can land a better player they will.

Reply #590653 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A Proud
Which Holt do you mean?

Reply #590654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754