Mystro
Years ago

Breakers sign Import PG Ben Woodside

NZ have signed their first import, American PG Ben Woodside who has played alongside Kirk Penney in Spain and Turkey. The 31yo graduated from North Dakota State and has played throughout Europe during his career.

Topic #39564 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

He came highly recommended by Penney and ticks the "experienced leader" box.
Apparently is a very good outside shooter who is a very good passer who thrives with great shooters around him.
Sounds like a good fit.

NZ are said to be well advanced in scouting the second import spot which is likely to be a PF and have one local spot to fill.

Woodside / Ili
Webster / Penney
Abercrombie / ? / Delany
Vukona / Import TBA
Pledger / Loe

Reply #590267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Going by his college stats, he shoots the three and has a decent FT%. Listed as 5'11" which suggests he might be shorter on arrival.

Reply #590268 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Looks like a true pass first point guard with a decent three point shot. Athletically nothing special, but looks to have the IQ to out think players.

Doesn't immediately look like a threatening import, but it will all depend on how he gels with the team and is able to maximize others strengths.

Reply #590273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College stats would be from what, 12 years ago? Nothing more recent you could find?

Reply #590279 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

With decent shooters like Webster, Penney, Abercrombie and Loe he should thrive.
Ili is an athletic backup who will learn a lot from Woodside in regards to running the team and can come on and push the pace.
I'm liking the balance of this roster.

Reply #590280 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Has maintained a career in some quality Euro leagues. That's always an impressive resume to come to the NBL with.

Reply #590287 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Probably a decent pick up, but not of the pedigree that the rest of the league is chasing.

Reply #590305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/gamecent/p/pid/6046393/playerview.html

Reply #590314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ me

Career average 4.8 assists per game, looks to be a PG which they needed.

But can also shoot the three.

Reply #590316 | Report this post

Master Debator  
Years ago

This guy is a great basketball player he is better than the Beal's of the league so take that what its worth guy can play.

Reply #590336 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

PG who can carry an offense, has a solid outside jumper and shoots a good FT%?

As long as he can play passable defense, I'm in. Especially given his height. I wonder how much less salary he took compared to Jackson.

Reply #590342 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/ben-woodside-1.html
http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Turk_Telekom_Ankara/196?Page=3

Woodside doesn't seem to be a scorer at all, which could work well.

One broader issue I'm a little concerned about from the signing - the Breakers relied on DraftExpress to find US imports, but Woodside came from a Kirk Penney referral. Not sure how I feel about that - DX were the business at finding quality Americans over the last few years.

Reply #590346 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Simply scary if he plays like kirk think he can. If they can shore up that back up big and stay healthy theyll be hot favourites. A friend coached Loe at SL and he will be a perfect backup for Pledgehammer. I'd even bring back Jackson if he's available but they've spent some serious coin to get to this stage so they might have to downgrade on that front. Either way, i cant see anyone beating them if healthy due to their talent and friendships. Bringing in a PG Kirk vouches for just ices the cake. He wouldnt suggest him otherwise.

My Hawks are screwed....

Reply #590351 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

So Chris Harriman gave Loe a good rap Smith.

Reply #590364 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Reading between the lines, didn't mention that he plays defebce and he can't get to the rim... But still sounds a world better than the PG from a few years back that struggled to run the team.

Would they try and get Ibekwe?

I can't work out the comments about not being able to afford Charles Jackson, they lose Cedric, Te Rangi and Wesley and gain Loe, Woodside and Penney, with a higher salary cap.

Reply #590375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A higher salary cap doesn't give you more money.

Reply #590378 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

What Paul said, Dillon Boucher and Paul Henare have said that the higher Salary Cap doesn't give them necessarily more money to spend on the squad.
With Abercrombie, Webster and Pledger all locked into decent contracts to keep them in NZ guys like Ced Jackson and Tai Wesley who were looking for more money were never going to be able to be retained. TeRangi wasn't on much so that contract is neither here nor there and don't forget there is another mouth to feed this season with 11 contracted players.

Ili, Webster, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pledger, Loe and Delany have all come through NZ's DP program which is impressive.

Reply #590381 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I understand that Mystro but my point was more that you'd imagine who has left and who's arrived would be far greater for the leaving, but what you're saying is that money has gone to Webster and the like and not into getting a Charles Jackson back ?

Reply #590487 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Charles Jackson like any young Import who has proven themselves over the course of a season will want more money especially as the Breakers would have got him at a steal much like Ibekwe the season before.
Rob Loe wouldn't have left Europe for a pittance so it's hard to know if their Salaries are similar or if Loe cost more as a 6'10" local who can shoot the 3, I would imagine so.

Alex Pledger just signed a long term contract that was a significant upgrade over his previous contract.

Reuban TeRangi wouldn't have been on anymore money than the money that is left to pay the last spot. He wanted an upgraded contract despite provided little more than some D and was allowed to leave for Brisbane.
It would be a similar story for Everard Bartlett.

Ced Jackson would have been on a reasonable contract yes but so will Kirk Penney who has come into the fold.
Add Pledgers increased contract and buy in two reasonable imports and Delany and the money is quickly drying up.

Lost:
Ced Jackson
Charles Jackson
Tai Wesley
Reuban TeRangi
Everard Bartlett

Gained:
Kirk Penney
Rob Loe
Ben Woodside
Import TBA
Local TBA
Finn Delany

Reply #590502 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed, I would estimate they are already over $1 million with the nine players they've signed. With that you'd think it will be another young import (or pinching a bargain like Ibekwe) and a young Kiwi, or hopefully Dion Prewster, who certainly showed he belongs in the NBL.

Reply #590506 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I would love to see:

Ben Woodside / Shea Ili
Corey Webster / Dion Prewster
Tom Abercrombie / Kirk Penney / Finn Delany
Mika Vukona / Young Import PF out of College
Alex Pledger / Rob Loe

Experienced:
Woodside
Penney
Webster
Abercrombie
Vukona
Pledger

Youth:
Ili
Prewster
Loe
Delany

Pretty good balance across the board.

Reply #590525 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Thank you Mystro for the explanation mate, you done very well explaining it

Reply #590571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754