Isaac
Years ago

36ers pass on Lucas Walker

Given the 36ers have signed Drmic and Deng, and intend to suit three imports, they've passed on forward Lucas Walker.

They have two spots left, both for imports.

"I'd sincerely like to thank the 36ers fans for welcoming and accepting me last season," he tweeted today.

“I really enjoyed my short time in Adelaide and the home crowd atmosphere is arguably the best I’ve experienced in my career.

“The club has decided to move in a different direction and I won’t be returning for another season.

“I understand and accept this part of professional sports.

“Thank you for your support. Waxy”

Boti has the story here

Hope he finds a gig somewhere. Good athlete to have in the league.

Topic #39566 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Even if he isn't signed somewhere at the start of the season he will only be 1 injury away from a spot.

Hoping he finds a spot in the league from the beginning though, as Isaac said - good athlete to have in the league.

Reply #590321 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No mention of TF......

Reply #590322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumours the 36ers had interest in Daniel Alexander from the combine.

Currently playing in the WA SBL.

Reply #590325 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I asked Boti about Terrance Ferguson today. He just said "patience".

By that I can surmise that the deal is either done, or still being worked out. Either way it is not dead in the water.

Reply #590330 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cheers ME!

Reply #590333 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

TF is currently at the Steph Curry Select Camp sponsored by Under Armour.

Reply #590335 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Is it a coincidence the Taipans have just released Trigger?

Reply #590343 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Boti: " To date the 36ers only have formally signed one import "

TF skeptics should think about those choice of words a bit. Could be made to look silly here, but you wouldnt think Boti would use the word " formally" if he wasn't aware of atleast one other uncomfirmed signing.

Reply #590349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Alexander looks like a decent cheap import option

if he can average somewhere around say half of the numbers he is putting up in WA SBL of 28 pts, 12 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and good fg and 3pt %, if that can translate to like 12 points 6 rebounds in the NBL he could be a nice replacement for petrie and would likely be cheap

Would be good for the concept of the combine if a few players get signed from there

Given Joey has signed players from his teams in Vegas and seems to go for the players he has atleast seen in person fairly often, i wouldnt be surprised if he gave Alexander a shot

Reply #590352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have never had issues looking silly on here, lets not take this forum to seriously. Ive been asking about TF, its natural for fans to ask.

As for Walker, great to have let him go, nice guy, great flash in the pan abilities and athletism but wasnt very good at putting it altogether for long enough. Didnt he win some generic award with the 36ers? Then got cut...

Reply #590353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Alexander going to be fat enough for him to look at? Sorry was just having a joke with some mates about how bad Ebi was and its all came flooding back for a second. Never heard of this guy, dont really follow local leagues, but 28 in the WA league seems decent enough surely.

Reply #590354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having seen Alexander play his game would easily transfer to the NBL. Very solid mid range and 3pt game. Not super strong in the post but holds his own.

Might struggle with the speed of some three's and the strength of some 4's.

Reply #590356 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can't see us signing this Alexander guy when we'll already be signing a cheapy in Ferguson.

The 3rd import needs to be an absolute superstar for us to even be a playoff contender.

Reply #590359 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

TF skeptics should think about those choice of words a bit. Could be made to look silly here

I haven't read anyone who's a sceptic on here.

Nobody is going to look silly for pointing out there's been no news lately and no official comment, so without inside information, it's perfectly reasonable to say "it's not confirmed yet, let's not count our chickens before they hatch". Certainly nobody has said that it won't happen, it's just let's not act as if it has happened when we don't actually know that is has.

Obviously the Boti information and the ESPN information is helpful and I have faith it will occur but it still has to actually occur.

Reply #590369 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

KET, I meant I might be the one to seem silly.

Well there was skepticism. I just tried to ease it.

And of course it's sensible and wise not to jump the gun. Never said it wasn't.

Reply #590372 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why do people think ferguson will be cheap? Id imagine he would get 100k at minimum, and probably closer to 150+

Reply #590373 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-30-terrance-ferguson-arizona-australia-basketball/

Here's an interesting article....this kid is going to come into a very physical league and try to 'show out'. No doubtingbhIs obvious talent but will be a roller coaster start as a pro given the current state of the sixers finances as joeys penchant for throwing under performing imports on the scrap heap without hesitation!

Hope it works out for him though! Could be a revelation that keeps the blue chip Aussie talent in the NBL instead of heading to the USA as a pathway to the NBA.

Reply #590374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I wouldn't think Ferguson to be cheap.

Is it a coincidence the Taipans have just released Trigger?
Something off-court, but either more to it or I think Cairns were maybe keen to use it as an excuse to offload him.

Three imports then the loss of a team is going to be very rough for a few players. The extra roster spot is inevitably going to be used on a cheap project player.

Reply #590386 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Timing of these announcements is all around NBL contracts running until 30 June.

Reply #590392 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Why do people think ferguson will be cheap? Id imagine he would get 100k at minimum, and probably closer to 150+"

He's a high school kid it's not like he could command big money in Europe. I would think $100k should be the absolute maximum.

Reply #590406 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

haha, the kid is going to put bums in seats. Provide exposure for both the NBL & Adelaide in USA markets with sports news and online writers following him regularly.
Opposing team fans will come check him out (similar to James Ennis).
Not to mention this isn't a scrub teenage prospect. This is a 5 star recruit that was being courted by most the top colleges in the USA and projected top 10 draft pick. The money is obviously very good to have contributed in convincing him to pass up the collegiate career/pathway.

This is a very worthwhile investment by Adelaide.

Reply #590416 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's a high school kid it's not like he could command big money in Europe. I would think $100k should be the absolute maximum.
Brandon Jennings was a high school kid. This guy appears to be in at least that vicinity, from my reading of it.

Reply #590420 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"The money is obviously very good to have contributed in convincing him to pass up the collegiate career/pathway."

More like he couldn't handle college and this becomes plan B. I cant see Lisch/Martin etc just handing this kid the keys. He'll get chewed up and spat out,watch this space.

Reply #590425 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Brandon Jennings was a high school kid. This guy appears to be in at least that vicinity, from my reading of it."

Jennings was a lottery pick and was projected to possibly be a Top 5 pick I've only heard Ferguson talked about as a potential first round pick. That is a big difference.

Jennings struggled badly in Italy too. I wouldn't be tying too much up in a high school kid when he's not likely to be a star here.

Reply #590442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thunder Jam, those elite defenders can only cover one of Randle or Ferguson at once.

He looks cocky as hell in the videos so it's going to be entertaining no matter what happens.

Reply #590458 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754