Isaac
Years ago

Joey Wright on 36ers' Terrance Ferguson signing

"We wanted what the NBA calls a 'three-and-D' guy, a player who can knock down three-pointers and get after it defensively," 36ers coach Joey Wright said.

“Terrance fits the bill perfectly. He has athleticism and length and will be a crowd favourite.”
“I think it (signing Ferguson) does open the floodgates for others.

“Look at the surroundings in Australia.

“If they don’t want to go to college, they can play overseas for a year.

“But it makes sense to send an 18-year-old to Australia.

“We speak the same language, they’ll find the same music, the same TV shows, the same food but in a friendlier and accepting atmosphere.

“Plus our style of play in the NBL is a physical, up-tempo game."
Full story

Topic #39576 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The NBL has had these favorable factors for a while, but only now are American managers recognizing it and Australian teams actually selling the prospect with a bit of confidence.

If Ferguson successfully transitions to the NBA and provides enough in the NBL the floodgates will open. Good times for the NBL, and a great move by the 36ers to make this happen.

Reply #590471 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There will be some serious analysis going about the NBL come 2017 draft when TF is talked about.

This really is great news, especially if ESPN etc. start talking up the credibility of the talent in the league

Reply #590474 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Looks like Javon McRea will be the next import.

Reply #590496 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The NBL has a grown a brain and some balls recently. The real test will be if he does make a successful transition to the NBA. You'd have to think that as Muiday did, a year in China may be worse for your development than a year in college or the NBL, granted it's a financial decision as much as anything.

Reply #590532 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Tom, I would like this signing if true.

Reply #590535 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Agreed that guys looks legit!

Reply #590553 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Tom you said the same thing about Trevis Simpson which didn't happen.

Reply #590562 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Adelaide were in serious talks with Simpson but couldn't come to an agreement financially and when TF came along Joey killed negotiations. The same could happen with McCrea but I like to share the inside stuff that others don't hear about to the rest of the community whether it eventuates or not/

Reply #590565 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Tom, you seemed to be right about Simpson based on what you thought was likely at the time. I'll back your Cred for this.

Reply #590567 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Loving the way the league and the coaches are looking at new ways to bring in talent e.g. combine, U.S. high schoolers..

Just needed a new kind of management not stuck in the 80's, e.g. Sengstocks / Harmisons of the world.

Reply #590615 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Tom - love your intell. Keep it up.

McRea looks solid and is an upgrade over Walker for sure.

That's a very decent trio of imports the 6ers will have!

Reply #590616 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

So what were the medical tests Javon McCrea failed in April to prevent his signing in Belgium?

Reply #590617 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

It's a knee injury that he tried to hide and play through. There's a shortlist of good players for the next import spot that many will be happy with.

Reply #590621 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Any detail of those on the shortlist?

I need something to take my mind off KD... haha

Reply #590623 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Looks like Javon McCrea is playing for the 76ers Summer League team in Utah, first game tomorrow vs Boston.

Reply #590638 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Great intel thanks tom! Excited to see how ben goes tomorrow.

Reply #590640 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Is Ben suiting up tomorrow?

Reply #590646 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Should be playing but I haven't seen anything official from 76ers.

Reply #590647 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sure is!

Reply #590650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754