Cram
Years ago

Delly gets 38.4m / 4 yr deal with Bucks

Great deal for Delly. I thought this was the upper end of what he could land so great work.

Cavs likely won't be able to match. Bucks will end up with two Aussies.

Topic #39577 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Cavs won't match. Lebron had already congratulated him. Cavs roster is thinning out now slowly. Could this cause issues for them?

Reply #590489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've let two blokes who barely saw the court go. No, this won't cause problems. Kay Felders better than delly anyway

Reply #590490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess this confirms Giannis is playing PG this year

Reply #590491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that shuts up those who say he shouldn't be in the NBA..... With a pay check like that , he's literally laughing all the way to the bank.... Good for him

Reply #590492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10% of the Bucks salary cap spent on a third string point guard.

Reply #590493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With OJ Mayo out the needed a back up gaurd, and had to overpay to get someone to consider Milwaukee?

Reply #590495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With talk of him getting 13-15, has he jumped on the first offer he received or was there no chance of anyone actually offering him that? Strange to me he would sign anything so soon with multiple teams interested in him

Reply #590497 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think 13 wwould have been a major stretch. Jeremy Lin for 12m/yr.

Reply #590498 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I also think Delly would have been happy to get his deal asap so he can focus on the boomers.

Reply #590499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Thon in the Boomers squad? Surprised if he couldn't find a spot now he's gone 10th, if an NBA squad sees potential in him would you think he could replace bogut?

Reply #590500 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

his too raw just now 2020 thon is lock

Reply #590503 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Good on him, for interests sake what would Mills be on?

Reply #590504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I'd read it right, this is mills last season of a 3 year $13,000,000 contract.

Reply #590505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought Thon would want to get some game time against players above high school level before he starts an NBA season

Reply #590507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly now has a choice of whom he can throw Lobs to. All 4.

Reply #590509 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They've let two blokes who barely saw the court go."

Who are the two? Dellavedova played almost 25mpg last regular season.

Reply #590510 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Is Thon in the Boomers squad? Surprised if he couldn't find a spot now he's gone 10th, if an NBA squad sees potential in him would you think he could replace bogut?"

Exum was the 5th pick in 2014 and was well off the mark internationally. NBA teams draft players on what they'll become more so than what they are, whereas the Boomers need guys who can perform at the highest level in their team environment right now.

Reply #590511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how many minutes (and DNPs) did they get in the important part of the season? Cavs were never matching when they signed Mo for $2m and drafted Felder.

Good point about Exum.

Reply #590512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy money for Delly. Good luck to him but but no way is he worth that.

Reply #590513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I genuinely hate him and want to see him fail but it's not that bad when you think Lin got 12. 11 points 3 assists to dellys 7 points 4.5 assists. Both tons more than they would have got last season but looking at what other players are getting its alright

Reply #590514 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"And how many minutes (and DNPs) did they get in the important part of the season?"

No question Delly's minutes dropped away in the playoffs, but your comment that he barely hit the court wasn't accurate, he played over 2000 minutes.

He was a contributor right through the regular season and in the playoffs up until the Finals and then dropped out of their plans, just as Bogut did for GSW last year.

Reply #590516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was accurate referring to the playoffs, which I possibly should have mentioned I was referring to. He "contributed" 4/3/1 in the playoffs and shot 25% from 3. Why did he fall out of the rotation? Was it something to do with his -55 in something like 40 minutes?

Reply #590517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dropped out of their plans for the future. 9 days for Cleveland to match and it only took Lebron an hour to wish him luck at his new team

Reply #590518 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The issue for Cavs is the fact they will need to sign players who are free agents, which when they are already at cap is going to be hard to find possibly. There's an article I read today about it, I just can't remember where at the moment.

Reply #590519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Veteran minimum contracts don't count towards the cap I THINK, Cavs will have no problem signing players to those. But you're right, they're currently at $74 million without Lebrons contract ($24 I think) and without signing their draft picks with the cap at $94 million. They've used the mini exception which means they have another worth around $5 which won't be enough for JR.

I think all that's right, more than happy to be corrected

Reply #590520 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

JR will sign for 5. He tested the market last year and it backfired. Doubt he's gonna risk it again

Reply #590522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's worth half what Delly is you think?

Reply #590523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was wrong. Cavs can sign outside free agents up to $3.4m a season. Can resign their own guys for whatever they want.

"ESPN Cleveland: Windhorst: The #Cavs can only pay an outside free agent, 3.4 million. They can pay JR Smith what ever they agree on."

Reply #590526 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

It's great deal for Delly and the Bucks.
When you compare it to Solomon Hill's Deal with Pelicans (4 yrs - 48mil)
2016 stats - Avg 4.2 pts - 1.0 ast - 2.8 rebs

l think the Bucks got a bargain!!!

Reply #590531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'm hating it less and less. Definitely deserved more than Ish Smith who got 6. Won't be primary ball handler, just out there to defend the point guard for Giannis and hit the open 3

Reply #590534 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Delly gets paid more than Simmons lol

Reply #590536 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Signing Ish Smith for $6mill was a great move by Detroit. Much better value imo than over-paying for Delly. That said, great to see him cash in as well, Bucks should be a good fit for him.

Reply #590538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #590514
re: Delly gets 38.4m / 4 yr deal with Bucks
I genuinely hate him and want to see him fail but it's not that bad when you think Lin got 12. 11 points 3 assists to dellys 7 points 4.5 assists. Both tons more than they would have got last season but looking at what other players are getting its alright

Jealousy is truely a curse lol, at every turn when people have put this guy down, he's turned around and proved them all wrong, and no doubt he will do it again to all those who say he's not worth it.

Hell, you haters could only dream of making earnings like that.

I say good luck to him, they obviously see his worth, and really that's all that matters.

Reply #590541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay dickhead.

Reply #590542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might learn how to be an actual point gaurd from Jason Kidd

Reply #590543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's anonymous having a go at people not liking certain players, I'm sure you've clapped each and every game for each player, not just your favourites. I also hate Lebron, want to jump off dellys dick and defend him too?

Reply #590544 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

Delly has played in the last two consecutive Finals series, has a championship ring and has just signed a contract that will set him up for life.

Great example of someone working hard to extract everything he can out of his physical abilities - well done to him.

Reply #590545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Love was always the go to for that "getting the most out of natural ability" aka best white player award, I reckon we have a new winner for the next few years

Reply #590546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now needs to show everyone he can do it without the superteam LeBron created. He's gonna get a lot more attention on offense and not left alone because there will be noone to double team, and the caliber of players around him has dropped off quite a bit so racking up assists could be harder. Good luck to him

Reply #590547 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Superteam"? Aside from LeBron, Kyrie and Thompson the Cavs were incredibly ordinary!

Reply #590551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won the championship? No chance delly improves his stats on a team who's best player is probably khris Middleton

Reply #590552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it delly who put himself in hospital after having to play proper starter minutes for two games last finals? Bucks could have saved money by giving him two 10 day contracts, he'll be dead by game 10

Reply #590554 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Solid paycheck for him.
Where does MCW's contract sit?
With Giannis likely starting PG, and MCW playing solid minutes, Delly is probably a 3rd stringer on this team?
Or does Mayo getting suspended bring Delly forward in the queue, with MCW playing SG?

Reply #590555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly will play SG but defend the opposition PG
Perfect situation
Doesn't have to be primary ball handler
Can do what he does best: play a little D and hit the occasional 3

Reply #590556 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Milwaukee seems to be opting for length in their starting 5, and shooting on the bench (with Mirza and Delly). Considering Delly's replacing Jarryd Bayless (who took a similar contract with Philly), Delly's an upgrade.

Reply #590557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bayless was a better 3 point shooter, dellys a better defender. I wouldn't say a massive upgrade but an upgrade none the less

Reply #590559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Bucks have signaled their interest in Dellavedova for some time. They sent scouts to Cleveland during the playoffs to evaluate Dellavedova, and coach Jason Kidd attended a Finals game."

So they actually saw his finals performances and still wanted him???

Reply #590564 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Deserves every cent, well done young bloke!

#dellymanialivesinmillwalkie

Reply #590585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Austin rivers just got $35m over 3 years. I no longer hate Dellys contract. $10-12m seems to be going rate for average back up gaurds

Reply #590587 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

That $3.4 million dollar contract the Cavs can use is an exception, so it can only be used once. Then all they can use is the veterans minimum. There are other exceptions out there, not sure if the Cavs possess any of them.

Reply #590588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ my bad, cheers for clearing that up

Reply #590589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Millwalkie"

Reply #590594 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

When they say Giannis is playing PG that is on offense.
They are still going to play a PG type player to defend the other teams PG.
So it they trade Carter-Williams, Delly will be the starting PG.
Towards the end of the season they started Bayless even though Giannis was bringing the ball up and initiating the offense.

Delly is a good playing for this style, plays well without the ball but can take over the PG load when Giannis is resting.
He plays good D, although I think he has issues with the very quick players.

Reply #590606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754