Anonymous
Years ago

Boti rumor: newley doesn't makes Olympics team

Martin in

Topic #39605 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newly Twitter says he flew to from Melbourne to Adelaide today. Seeing as the boomers warm up game is in Melbourne on Tuesday that may indicate he's not playing. Although he could fly back tomorrow I suppose

Reply #590998 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Heard the same. Newley and Gibson out, Martin in.

Reply #590999 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Also hearing from others that Jawai is out, and Maric is the first replacement for Bogut.

Reply #591001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well ofcourse Gibson is out, he is horrible. Martin in for newely is a tough one. Martin is a great defender at NBL level but is the definition of a liability offensively. Haven't brad play for years so not sure what he has left in the tank.

Reply #591005 | Report this post

7 time champs  
Years ago

Finally, if true damo will be an Olympian. Deserves a shot at it and been through a lot to have the chance.

Reply #591006 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That is a big shock. Martin in for Newley makes almost no sense but then again this is Lemanis we're talking about.

I would've had jawai on reserve for Bogut instead of Maric but Jawai is very overweight and maybe Maric looks in decent shape.

Reply #591007 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

The final 13 is:

Delly
Mills
Baynes
Bairstow
Ingles

Lisch
Goulding
Andersen
Motum
Broekhoff

Maric
Martin

Bogut (if fit)

Reply #591010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon maker should be in this boomers squad

Reply #591011 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Delly/Lisch
Mills/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff/Newley
Andersen/Motum/Bairstow
Bogut/Baynes

Jawai sub for Bogut

That would've been my team.

Damian Martin is just a waste of a roster spot with Mills, Delly & Lisch all being dominant ball handling guards.

Reply #591012 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

That isn't the team though

Reply #591014 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Fingers crossed for Martin. He might not be the greatest offensively, but is defensive awesomeness can change the tide of a game. Definitely deserves a spot!

Reply #591016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mario's not a great shooter but he would be the second best true point guard on the team.

Liability on offence? Please...

Reply #591019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Marto

Reply #591020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly/Martin
Mills/Lisch/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff
Anderson/Bairstow/Motum
Bogut/Baynes

Hopefully..

Reply #591021 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Imagine unleashing Martin and Delly on court at the same time!!!

Reply #591023 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well it'd be great defensively, Train, but probably couldn't create offense that way.

"Delly/Martin
Mills/Lisch/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff
Anderson/Bairstow/Motum
Bogut/Baynes

Hopefully.."

That is the team that is going to Rio, yes. Maric is apparently 13th man.

As saddened as I am about the loss of Newley and Jawai, they were necessary omissions made to give the team a unified play style.

Nate Jawai would probably have no use in a team that plays a full court game. You'd be infinitely better off with a more mobile player like Bairstow or Motum in that situation.

As for Newley, there is nothing that he brings that can't be found in Ingles, Broekhoff or Goulding. It isn't a cut that I relish, but it is one I understand.

Damien Martin is the Cinderella story of this Boomers selection; he has been so close to so many Olympic squads without ever being able to pull on the jersey. I am elated that he has got his chance.

Opposition point guards will be in perpetual despair when they see that our bench point guard is perhaps a better defender than our starter. With Martin heading the defense of our bench team, I imagine the pace of the game will rarely slow.

Then there is Kevin Lisch's and Chris Goulding's inclusion. Both are guys who can create their own shots. But they will only be of use of Lemanis actually dares to use them. When Patty is on the bench, either Lisch or Goulding should be on the court.

"Mario's not a great shooter but he would be the second best true point guard on the team.

Liability on offence? Please... "

That is true. Plus Martin knows his strengths and weaknesses. It is not as though he is going to throw up junk. The affects of his shooting will be mitigated.

"Thon maker should be in this boomers squad"

Can someone take the keyboard away from the kids?

Reply #591026 | Report this post

Waston  
Years ago

Newley should be in instead of Martin for when they need an extra offensive weapon.

Martin would only bring you defense which Delly, Mills, and Lisch will have that covered plus they all can score.

As far as Jawai or Maric i would take a fit in shape Maric. Jawai for some reason just cant get below the 150kgs weight and he only knows why.. its a shame because the Boomers could used his inside presence.

Reply #591028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding and Lisch can provide the extra scoring.

Reply #591035 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Can't wait to hear Lisch talk about Australian pride. Will be like watching Casey Frank do the haka!

Reply #591036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why did the Boomers take all of these guys to the Rock the other day if they aren't to be in the team then simply cut them and don't fly them around the country wasting money.

Reply #591037 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"So why did the Boomers take all of these guys to the Rock the other day if they aren't to be in the team then simply cut them and don't fly them around the country wasting money."

The players got together and organized that. They paid it out of their own money. Basketball Australia was in no way involved in the trip. The only official involvement from anyone was the NBPA putting in to have a basketball court installed.

"Can't wait to hear Lisch talk about Australian pride. Will be like watching Casey Frank do the haka!"

Could be said for any of the naturalized players we've ever had.

"Newley should be in instead of Martin for when they need an extra offensive weapon.

Martin would only bring you defense which Delly, Mills, and Lisch will have that covered plus they all can score.

As far as Jawai or Maric i would take a fit in shape Maric. Jawai for some reason just cant get below the 150kgs weight and he only knows why.. its a shame because the Boomers could used his inside presence. "

Newley isn't really an offensive weapon anymore, if you haven't noticed. Newley is a poor man's Ingles without much of a jump shot. We have offensive firepower if the coach gives Lisch and Goulding minutes.

Martin just means that our defense on opposition point guards can be swarming and unrelenting. He is probably the best defender on the team. I know who I'd choose out of them all to defend a Tony Parker or Kyrie Irving.

Reply #591040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to pick a balanced team, no point having guys that do the same thing, need someone that can get hot shooting and someone that can shut someone down. Need a big that can draw a double team and someone that can hit from the outside, that's why Jawai and Martin should make it in my opinion. Sure Jawai is out of shape but he's hardly going to play a full game and who better to bring off the bench in terms of leadership and toughness to shut down a scorer.
And unfortunately for Newley, Ingles brings most of what he can offer, but Newley relied on his athleticism whereas Ingles is a bit more crafty.
And please get rid of Anderson and go with a young guy, we might be lucky to finish top 6 but we should be aiming for the future and again, just my opinion, but I'd rather have a younger guy take his spot unless Bogut misses out, even then Bogut will be more valuable injured than Anderson 100%.

Reply #591044 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

By the way, Croatia, Serbia and France are now in the Olympics. Not sure which of these are now in our pool.

Reply #591045 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

We get Serbia and France I believe. First two games. Tony Parker is in some great form so Marto might get a chance to show he can defend a world star. I'll be at that game!

It looks as if Delly and Mills may play a lot together in the back court, meaning that Ingles, Broekhoff and Goulding at the wing positions there wasn't as much need for an extra swingman as there was when two of that group were starting.

Well done to Martin. Great to see that hard work rewarded

Reply #591046 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Damo's greatest strength on offence is that his defender doesn't box him out and he pulls down offensive boards at a rate not expected of a point guard, imagine if his hustle gets us extra opportunities ... I think he is an inspired choice.

Gotta wonder how Gibbo will react to being dropped from an Olympics by his club coach!

Reply #591047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Newley is primarily a defensive force who also turns broken plays into points at the offensive end. His skill set is quite unique amongst our wings. If this selection is true, I guess Lemanis decided he only had room for one primarily defensive player in the team.

I would have loved to have seen Damo and Noodles together in the press, but I guess there are only 12 spots and a whole lot of good players to fill them.

Tough on Gibbo too after seven years of solid service to the Boomers, but I think Linch being naturalised was also going to be the end for him.

Reply #591049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin for Newley makes absolutely no sense whatever way you look at it. Now the team only has. 2 legitimate wings and a log jam of undersized guards. Newley was the perfect role player off the bench who knows his role. God dammit lemanis, hope you have fun splitting the guard minutes when delly and mills take the majority of it anyway.

Reply #591057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Newley was the perfect role player off the bench who knows his role."

So true. All the other players are terrible role players who don't know their roles.

Reply #591058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't really see Martin playing meaningful minutes in the Olympics. He’s too limited offensively.

If they need a defensive stopper at the guard spot, Lisch or Delly can be used- and both will obviously give much, much more at the other end than Martin.

Then again, Newley probably wouldn’t have played meaningful minutes either, with Ingles and Broekhoff ahead of him at small forward.

Reply #591065 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Gotta wonder how Gibbo will react to being dropped from an Olympics by his club coach!"

"Tough on Gibbo too after seven years of solid service to the Boomers, but I think Linch being naturalised was also going to be the end for him."

Maybe Gibbo should have thought about being a consistent player in the NBL for the last 3 seasons instead of resting on his laurels. He got a spot in the Boomers squad because of his service to the team; based on performance there was no way he deserved to be in the squad.

Reply #591066 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I suspect Martin is primarily injury insurance in the back court. If one of Delly, Mills or Lisch got injured, we would need him to cover.

We are better able to cover all of the other spots (assuming Maric in for Bogut if he doesn't come up).

I like Newley, but he has been a bit of a passenger in recent Boomers campaigns. In 2014 he shot the ball really poorly: 6.5 ppg at 42%, 30% 48% shooting splits

Reply #591068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Motum play minutes at small forward?

Martin does appear to be injury cover- he may be used if there's a back court injury.

But I don't think they'll use a 3 guard rotation, meaning Ingles and Broekhoff are it at small forward. So an injury there will now leave us with an awkward gap- unless Motum can play there alongside say, Anderson/Bairstow and a big.

Reply #591069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depth chart with Martin:

Bogut/Baynes/Anderson
Anderson/Bairstow/Motum
Ingles/Broekhoff/Motum
Mills/Goulding/Lisch
Delly/Lisch/Mills/Martin

Depth Chart with Newley:

Bogut/Baynes/Anderson
Anderson/Bairstow/Motum
Ingles/Broekhoff/Newley/Motum
Mills/Goulding/Lisch
Delly/Lisch/Mills

Reply #591070 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If they were looking for injury insurance surely they'd pick Adam Gibson who has more offense. This is why I don't think injury insurance is Damien's role on the team. He is there another option to help shut down the Tony Parkers of the world and to play full court defense.

I think he will get his share of minutes.

Reply #591072 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd think Goulding would be more likely to see minutes at the 3 than Motum.

Reply #591073 | Report this post

TonyMontanasCoke  
Years ago

Damo making the team after years of missing out right at the end is a great story.

Teams will likely guard him a little tight early in the tournament as there would be limited scouting on him and he has had the occasional 40% 3pt seasons.

He can be a game changer in limited minutes defensively and its great to see him on the team.

Reply #591074 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Adam Gibson is not really an offensive threat at international level either, that certainly has not been his role on past Boomers teams. In that regard, Gibson and Martin are somewhat interchangeable. Martin is an opportunistic scorer but just doesn't look for it as first, second or even third option.

That little bit of advantage in scoring power that Gibson might provide is probably not that important given that he will be playing alongside Mills/ Goulding/ Broekhoff/ Ingles etc would (whilst it would be a two headed defensive monster, I can't see Delly and Martin on court at the same time).

Reply #591090 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

2015/16 stats:
Gliddon 13.5 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. 38.9% 3pt, 87.5% FT.

Gibson 9.7 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.11 assists per game. 37.5% 3pt, 89.4% FT.

Surely Gliddon is a better defender than Gibson. He's got international guard height and can play both ends at point (if necessary, not needed with Delly, Mills and either Marto or Lisch in the team,) shooting guard and small forward. Why are we even talking about Gibson?

Reply #591176 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Gliddon probably would be the better option.

Reply #591183 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Btw, Rudy Gobert is joining up with France for the Olympics. Things just got slightly harder...

Reply #591185 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Isn't the Newley omission odd, given the possibility that Ingles will have an interrupted beginning to the tournament, due to the possible birth of his child?

I would have thought that factor would weigh heavily in Newley's favour, given it increases the likelihood of needing help on the wing/small forward as compared to needing help at guard.

Reply #591362 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

ie Ingles apparently said if bubs came just before, he'd fly home but if bubs arrival was delayed till mid tournament he'd stay in Rio (Apparently due date was early August from memory- maybe the 2nd- 3/4 days before first game).

Reply #591364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754