Joe Ingles
Kevin Lisch
Damian Martin
Patty Mills
Brock Motum

Topic #39608 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team may have issues initiating and creating offense although they look strong defensively with martin's inclusion

Reply #591076 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Last chance for a few on this roster, at Olympics anyway, however it is a reasonable team with plenty of options I think.

Good mix of experience, NBA quality and solid defence with that Euro and Aussie play as well as the NBA input should give us confidence against anyone.

That's the key for me, let's not worry about who we play so much as go out there and play our game the best we can and take them on no matter who we play...

Reply #591077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly strong defensive team, might struggle to score a bit though. A line up with Martin and Delly in would be hell for opposing 1/2 guards. Small though.. I realise Martin is 12th man and won't see any legit minutes.

They must be assuming Bogut is going to be healthy enough to play.

Who starts?

Reply #591080 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Pretty light on for length on the wings.

If Broekhoff or Ingles even just roll an ankle and need to miss a game or two, are we going to get 6'4" Goulding/Delly to guard their SF? Or are we going to try and get Motum to do that?

Mills 6'0" 185 (2 1)
Martin 6'1" 203 (1 2)
Lisch 6'2" 194 (2 1)
Dellavedova 6'4" 198 (1 2)
Goulding 6'4" 203 (2)
Broekhoff 6'7" 215 (3 2)
Ingles 6'8" 226 (3 2 4?)
Bairstow 6'9" 250 (4 5?)
Motum 6'10" 245 (4 5? 3?)
Baynes 6'10" 260 (5 4)
Andersen 6'11" 245 (4 5)
(Maric) 6'11" 275 (5)
Bogut 7'0" 260 (5)

Reply #591083 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You'd assume Delly, Patty, Ingles, Baynes and Bogut start.
Looks like a pretty strong team. Good to see we've gone away from the Jawai types.
Quite a few NBL guys in there too, which is unusual.
Don't think we will medal, but we'd have to be a chance for top 5.

Reply #591084 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Great team selection,good to see Martin gets his chance,no Jawai or Gibson,Just hope Bogut is fit for the Games.

Reply #591088 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hendo, I think Baynes and Bogut play significant minutes on court together we will be a bit top heavy/slow. If fully fit, Bogut might start and play 15-20 minutes, with Baynes playing clutch minutes and finishing out games?

Andersen/Motum probably still complement either of those guys better from a team balance perspective, particularly if it seems we want to play an up tempo game.

Reply #591092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team will be lucky to finush in the too 5. Apart
from Mills, delly, bogut, baynes, ingles, the rest are just mediocre players.

We need to bring in the dynamic trio of simmons, exum and thon maker, who will give the boomers a real chance of getting an olympics silver medal.
It is too late now, they have chosen a very wrong team.

Reply #591094 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

IMO I don't think Bogut will be there, keep in mind it will be a contract year from him this season too now with Dallas.

Newley being left out for Martin really upsets the balance of the team. Newley isn't the player he was but he and Goulding can bail us out offensively when as always happens we run into superior and better coached teams. Martin can't help in that regard and his ball pressure won't be a factor at this level.

I really think there must've been some sort of falling out between player and coach at the camp as Newley's always been a loyal servant to the national team and adding another undersized ball handler at his expense is head scratching.

The talk is Maric will be in for Bogut but after Jawai who would've given us a unique look I would've preferred Ogilvy but he too appears to be on the Lemanis shit list.

Reply #591095 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"This team will be lucky to finush in the too 5. Apart
from Mills, delly, bogut, baynes, ingles, the rest are just mediocre players.

We need to bring in the dynamic trio of simmons, exum and thon maker, who will give the boomers a real chance of getting an olympics silver medal.
It is too late now, they have chosen a very wrong team."

Another who wants to switch grown-ass men for kids in nappies.

As for mediocre players, who do you think is on the benches of most international teams? We're still going to have fringe NBA players on our bench. Plus it isn't what you got, but how you use it. There's never been a basketball game won on paper.

Reply #591098 | Report this post

lorenzo  
Years ago

That's what troubles me is how this team is going to gel Offencively.

I don't know if they have been working on any system that will generate on offence for us.

I don't believe there is any star firepower so you would think being organised would be the key for success.

Or are we just going to rely on pushing up the floor and broken play.
Can't see that bothering Serbia or USA.

Reply #591106 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Good squad. I would have taken Newley over Goulding simply because he is multi dimensional and is a proven winner at an international level.

Drawing Serbia and France isn't great for our medal chances but stoked for Damo.

Reply #591107 | Report this post

lorenzo  
Years ago

France first is better than Serbia first

Reply #591109 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"That's what troubles me is how this team is going to gel Offencively.

I don't know if they have been working on any system that will generate on offence for us.

I don't believe there is any star firepower so you would think being organised would be the key for success.

Can't see that bothering Serbia or USA."

These were certainly problems at the World Cup, but we now have Patty Mills. Patty Mills might not sound like "star firepower" until you consider he was the highest scoring player in the entire London Olympics.

Then we have Kevin Lisch and Goulding coming off the bench. Both of them can put it in the hole, and Aron Baynes averaged 16ppg at the world cup.

This is not a team without scoring options. If Lemanis looks to his bench scorers and gives them minutes the scoreboard will tick over.

"
Can't see that bothering Serbia or USA."

We don't know what the current Serbian team is like. They obviously weren't the best at the Euro qualifiers or they wouldn't have to sneak through on the second chance. Having said that, the pushing up the court worked perfectly fine against Lithuania at the world cup. You'd also assume that they'd be accustomed to such defense as well.

I am not one of those blind optimists who think we can 'expect' to medal, but we're certainly in that conversation, as are most of the top 8. It will take a special effort and for the team to be firing on all cylinders. But why can't it be Australia? Why can't we be this year's unexpected success story? We're as good a chance as we've ever been since 2000. I choose to be hopeful and think that we're in the mix.

Reply #591114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Broekhoff or Ingles even just roll an ankle and need to miss a game or two, are we going to get 6'4" Goulding/Delly to guard their SF? Or are we going to try and get Motum to do that?
They'd only be playing spot minutes, so might be able to get away with it. I imagine those last two spots are insurance anyway.

Reply #591118 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^^I agree, this looks like a very well balanced team at both ends of the court...also i think this team will scrap to the end and have each others back.

Reply #591119 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the Boomers are in trouble if they sustain injuries to any of their eight best players. I am knocking on wood right now.

Reply #591122 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Pretty sure the yanks will finish first in our group.

Reply #591126 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I like this team, it's the most talented line up the Boomers have put on the court in a long, long time (possibly ever?).

We have genuine size, outside shooters, and team first players. A little more athleticism might have been nice, or another guy on the wing who can take people to the basket one on one and create in an international setting. But nonetheless this is a quality team and if they play team first basketball, along with trademark gritty hustle on D- led by Delly- then they are absolutely a medal chance.

I see us finishing 2nd-4th in the pool- we should beat Venezuela and China and lose to US, so the first two games vs France and Serbia will be crucial to our position heading into the quarters.

I’ll have to see a bit more of Motum in Boomers colours before I pass judgement on the Martin selection. I think Martin is injury insurance for the backcourt, my only query would be whether we needed Newley as insurance for Ingles/Broekhoff more than we needed it in the backcourt. And that will depend on whether Motum is capable of covering the 3 spot. But hopefully it’s all academic, and we don’t get any injuries.

Reply #591127 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, hopefully.

As for Motum, I don't love what I have seen of him with the Boomers. He is a bit unco, and seems to fumble the ball a lot. He makes a few nice shots sometimes, but he is like a smaller poor man's Anderson without the Euro cred. He wouldn't be quick enough for small forward.

With any luck Motum will be buried behind Anderson and Bairstow at the four spot.

Reply #591130 | Report this post

lorenzo  
Years ago

His stats were reasonable off the bench in Lithuania.

We really lack that mobile, sweet shooting 4 Guy.

I hope one of these guys can find that shooting form and then also becomes a rebounding machine.

Reply #591137 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

QOUTE ( We need to bring in the dynamic trio of simmons, exum and thon maker, who will give the boomers a real chance of getting an olympics silver medal.
It is too late now, they have chosen a very wrong team.)

Didn't Simmons say he was unavailable ?

Reasonable side, Newley a bit unlucky, but Goulding is probably a better shooter. Surprised with Martin getting a gig, given his lack of scoring. But i guess they are looking for a defender to give Delly a rest from time to time.

Reply #591139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Lisch is not a great defender?

Reply #591140 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Both Simmons, Thon Maker and Exum were unavailable so I don't know why the repeated hollering about them. And of that three, only Simmons should have made this team with Exum straight off of injury and losing a year of basketball, and Thon's need to bulk up to play with the big boys.

Martin and Lisch fit in perfectly for the pressure style they want to play. It is going to be gruelling and I think the Boomers will end up using all 12 players in the campaign.

Reply #591141 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Have some of you forgotten how good a shooter Broekhoff is

Reply #591145 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Stage is set for Broekoff to go off....

Reply #591151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754