not surprised
Years ago

head coaches moving

A few coaches on the move next season for the Womens ABL, anyone heard anything? At least one vacancy exists at Forestville and possibly Southern Tigers, South, and Centrals. Any truth to this?

Topic #3961 | Report this topic

gertrude  
Years ago

i believe billy hopkins is taking up an assistant's role with the brisbane bullets.....good luck billy!!

Reply #46120 | Report this post

Bench Warmer  
Years ago

No truth about the southern women they announced at their last home game after game function that Noel will be there next year. Don't know about the others.

Reply #46127 | Report this post

Noel is one of the true gentlemen in south australian basketball and southern would be foolish to let him go anywhere, keep up the good work big fella

Reply #46147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

issac,

is there a reason why you are deleting the replys about Glenn

Reply #46149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you have confirmation from Glenn that it's true?

Reply #46153 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

It would be a Mistake for Glen to Leave Centrals ... he has done well with what has got to work with.. Which everyone Knows isnt alot ... They are Inproving .. I think Glen is the Right guy for the Job ..

Reply #46154 | Report this post

BabaLouie  
Years ago

Looks like the truth is blind.

Reply #46171 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

babalouie ... what More could he Have done with the team he had .... Changing of coachs isnt gonna Make any diffrence if they play with the same team as this year ..

Reply #46176 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

babalouie ... what More could he Have done with the team he had .... Changing of coachs isnt gonna Make any diffrence if they play with the same team as this year ..

Reply #46177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Eastern I heard arumor that there coach is not doing it again next year? Can someone from up at Eastern comferm this. It would be a same if it was true as they made finals for the first time.

Reply #46180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals womens coach IS leavin, along with alot of there top players (if u can call them that but we will for the purpose of the excercise)

Reply #46193 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I hear Glen is applying for other jobs. It is a shame if he leaves Centrals but I do understand.

Reply #46202 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

yes good luck to billy, his dedication to the game is second to none and I am sure he will do SA proud up there.

Reply #46248 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

There is an ex-ABA ex-WNBL coach back in SA. Wonder which club will work out who it is, and secure his services for next year.

Reply #46251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you mean Nathon Jones he has been back for some time now. He is busy with work I believe thats why he's not coaching.

Reply #46253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard West might be looking for two ABA coaches

Reply #46258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nup I think bubalouie hit the nail on the head. centrals werent going anywhere with glen. yes the team made some improvement but they still went without a win for yet another year. its pretty obviously that the only way centrals will break its losing cycle is to recruit good players and glen proved he couldnt do that. as for the top players at central leaving this isnt true. some are leaving but they are far from being the teams top players. and find it hard to believe these girls will get minutes at any other club

Reply #46261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know which girls are going to be leaving

Reply #46263 | Report this post

Litte Trevor  
Years ago

(#46261) your an idiot. Centrals are on the right track developing their juniors (14 Girls are doing okay, arn't they?). If you buy a senior team ala Woodville (Rees, Elder, KB) then everyone will jump on your for not developing your juniors.

Yes, centrals are struggling, but at least Glen is being pro-active by building from the bottom up, which is a long-term solution.

Yes, i did mean Nathan Jones. It hasn't been 12 months since he's been back tho has it?

It would be a shame for such a great basketball mind to not be involved in the SA (BASA or otherwise) program.

Reply #46270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any1 know who forestville will be getting for head coach? who will be coaching centrals seeing as glen has left. and what about south?

Reply #46272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also forgot to ask in my post above, are those 3 clubs (in forestville, centrals and south) accepting applications for their head coaching positions?

Reply #46273 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Little trev, Centrals are not going that well in 14s. I beleive they lost to South last week. Glen doesn't have much do with that. I think he should move on to a cub that will appreciate his work.

Reply #46283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little trevor you idiot I wasnt implying that centrals women buy a team. that option has already been explored and no matter what you offer players they wont go to centrals with the state the club is in. what I am implying is that centrals gets a coach who will attract some core players to work around.

Reply #46289 | Report this post

easy solution  
Years ago

I would assume Sharon Simons would get the Forestville job, she has filled in for Dean all year and certainly has basketball knowledge. Why would South get rid of a coach that has made it to the finals and sat top or second for most of the year? If Glenn was so fantastic why did he leave and why did they still lose every game even after paying for an import. Not that flash if you ask me. Centrals need a coach who will attract players.

Reply #46296 | Report this post

enigma  
Years ago

Isnt it great that everyone has an opinion on what centrals need. All talk no action

Reply #46298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and what actions would you take enigma??

Reply #46301 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

(#46289) - which came first the chicken or the egg?

A coach of that calibre (to 'attract' players) would obviously be highly sought after. Therefore, why would they go to a club with no players? Its a catch 22, but at least someone at Centrals is working with the 14 girls. (12's are bottom, 14's 5th, 16's bottom).

its gotta start somewhere, and i dont think you'll be able to find a coach who will accept a job without players, and hope to attract some without paying them.

Reply #46305 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Centrals Didnt Buy An import ... I think you will Find she came as more of a fava to Glen ... she was a Former Player coached By Glen ..... Glen did as well as he could with the team he had ...Phil Jackson wouldnt have got those girls winning games .... The Fact is they need to Recruit players ... Which wont be Easy ... before u see any inprovement ... A new coach isnt going to change that..

Reply #46306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville didn't buy KB it came about because the coach appointed went to take a coaching job in malaysia

the boys won their first 3 games before KB even took over they did pretty well pre season too so why is it that they bought a side

they were sitting pretty well on the premiership table before elder arrived and rees didn't play as big a role as alot expect.

so don't shoot yourself in the foot with inane and incorrect assessment of something you clearly know nothing about.

Reply #46308 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

Woodville won the title - Fact
Woodville pay key personell - Fact

I never said they wouldn't have won without those players, but the facts remain.

The point i was making about Woodville (if you actually read what i wrote, instead of jumping to defend the green), was that they have coped a fair bit of slack for the junior program, while paying senior players. That was my point, nothing to do with either program by itself.

Reply #46309 | Report this post

disbelief  
Years ago

The Truth - I thought there was a BASA requirement to pay imports a minimum salary per week, and a return airfare ticket? Am I mistaken?

Reply #46313 | Report this post

creative  
Years ago

Any idea who is going to take the West men's head coaching position?

Reply #46325 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

dion grieger

Reply #46326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Al Green? Didn't he leave the South Women to go back to West?

Reply #46328 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Fact - Centrals pay their imports

Fact - Centrals pay their imports with funds from their junior programme

Fact - Centrals coach is American born

Fact - Little Trevor is a nob

Reply #46329 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

Fact - Every team pay their players/imports

Fact - Every team pay their players/imports from funding from the senior program

Fact - there are a lot of knobs on this forum

Reply #46332 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

I really dont kno bout the BASA rules... But i kno she was playing as a fava to Glen it wasnt the Team shinning record that got her to come to Australia

Reply #46333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lippy,

there is not one club in this State that makes the $40k+ that it takes to run their senior program from Senior funds. All clubs spunds income generated from their junior subs to run their senior teams.

Oh and $40k+ is correct

$15+ Mens cap
$10+ Woimens cap
plus coaches Salaries, Court Hire, tape, uniforms etc.

Reply #46334 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Fact - little red frogs from the canteen make you play better position defense

Fact - never trust a red headed woman who wears black underwear

Reply #46335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, whats wrong with readheaded women????

Reply #46340 | Report this post

disbelief  
Years ago

I would play as a favour too, if a) I was getting paid
and b) I got to come to Australia for a paid holiday, not a bad gig for someone who averaged around 10 points and 10 turnovers.
and she only had to play 9 games!

Reply #46348 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Fact - Money can buy you a championship. See Woodville men.

Fact - Redheads rock!

Fact - every person writing Fact before everything they write is not funny anymore.

Reply #46349 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

False - every person writing Fact before everything they write is still kinda funny.

Reply #46352 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

TRUE OR FALSE - Can anyone who posted a "Fact" post actually prove their fact???

Reply #46353 | Report this post

I think if Glen stayed at Centrals he would attract better players.

Before this season no one knew who he was but he has proved to be a guy with a lot of passion and smarts about the game.

He seems like a quality coach.

It would be a very enticing opportunity for disgruntled players to pack up at their current club and go to a club that would treat them like gold, and with a coach that knew what he was doing. Plus, it would have massive benefits for basketball in S.A. Centrals would get off the bottom, everyone would treat you like a hero, it would be good.

If I were Glen, I would find out who is not happy and get on the phone.

Reply #46363 | Report this post

BabaLouie  
Years ago

Glenn is prolly the best womens coach in SA basketball. He just doesn't need to be distraced by anything else. Like JDO work. The juniors' game has improved but the membership has declined under his tutelage.

Reply #46386 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Disbelief - As I understand it, to get a VISA to play out here, an import needs to be paid around $560/week + accomodation.

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Reply #46389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There may be ways around this, including jobs on the side?

Reply #46390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has the junior program for centrals improved.

Reply #46393 | Report this post

BabaLouie  
Years ago

meant DISTRACTED not distaced

Reply #46398 | Report this post

b squared  
Years ago

i believe that glenn is canadian, not american

Reply #46435 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

In regard to post (#46348) Centrals never gave Larkin a paid holiday here she paid for herself to come over etc. Some people might not believe it but she came over as a favour and also for the experience

Reply #46451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes Glenn is canadian, but acts like an american!

Reply #46457 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

I'm hearing that Glenn may be a Rocket or Sabre next year.

Reply #46582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paintbrush anyone?

Reply #46643 | Report this post

enigma  
Years ago

How did Glen "improve the Juniors program"

Reply #47722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754