Aussie
Years ago

Boomers v Pac 12 live today on FOX Sports 3

7:30pm EST on Fox Sports 3.

Delly will be playing. Can't wait. Go Aussie Boomers!

Topic #39623 | Report this topic

Flip  
Years ago

Is there a live stream anywhere?

Reply #591418 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-network-live/

Boomers up 22-13 at quarter time.

Reply #591419 | Report this post

Je  
Years ago

A better showing from the Boomers so far. Better intensity.

As for Maric ... yikes. Looks to have about a one inch vertical and can't finish over college kids. There's gotta be a better back-up for Bogut ...

Reply #591420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy...

Reply #591421 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maric looks a little... uhh... "lacking in match fitness"?

Reply #591422 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Oz Centres not in Boomers better suited to Olympic basketball than Maric:

Jervis
Ogilvy
Khazzouh
Maker
Suzy Batkovic
etc
etc

Reply #591423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just cannot see why everyone raves about Motum - massively overrated IMO and never looks overly fit

Reply #591424 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff would have been a better choice than motum

Reply #591425 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Jawai Vs Maric....

Reply #591426 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Oz Centres not in Boomers better suited to Olympic basketball than Maric:

Jervis
Ogilvy
Khazzouh
Maker
Suzy Batkovic
etc
et"

I lost it at Suzy Batkovic! HAHAHAHA.
Seriously, though, Maric is a spud. He has literally no special skill other than being tall.

"I just cannot see why everyone raves about Motum - massively overrated IMO and never looks overly fit "

I have never called someone on screen a moron nearly as much as I have for Brock Motum. He is just such an unco gumby. He doesn't have the excuse of being out of game shape because he just finished his Lithuanian season. I'd drop him and reinstate Newley. Newley can play the four defensively better than Brock Motum can tie his own shoes.

-

Overall, it was a better showing. It seems like they just wanted to run through sets and never gave the game a red hot go. They played almost every set until 8 seconds left on the clock. Obviously they were working on some stuff with that. The start was good, but then it seemed that the All Stars got a few too many easy looks and Australia lost a few too many sitters. Our rim defense needs to improve if we want to be in anyones medal calculations. I know we were playing a training style game, but you need to stop people at the ring. We really need Bogut back and I hope to hear he is doing some practice very soon.

Reply #591427 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Maric has passed his used by date sadly. Ogilvy would of been great!

Reply #591428 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Jawai must have been unwrapping Big Macs on court to not get the gig over Maric.

Reply #591429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would people consider jois as a good replacement for motum even though he doesn't have range on his shot.

Reply #591430 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

I think it was Anstey on commentary that said it should have been Jawai not Maric.

Reply #591431 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I'd drop him and reinstate Newley. Newley can play the four defensively better than Brock Motum can tie his own shoes."

Newley missed out on selection.

Reply #591433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I think it was Anstey on commentary that said it should have been Jawai not Maric."

It's a shame really a couple of bungled selections by Lemanis. Newley should've been picked over Martin and Jawai or even Ogilvy should've been picked over Maric.

Maric stunk it up at London and assuming Bogut doesn't get up Jawai would've at least given us a different look needing to be guarded down low and I'm sure Ogilvy would've contributed something. Maric can't even jump anymore.

Reply #591434 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Maric is one of those guys whose never had a good Boomers game but keeps getting a singlet somehow. It's looking silly to have 4 small guards now and not get a third swingman instead. I thought Martin for Newley would be a decent move but it is not looking that way.

Even though we were running sets and not taking things too seriously, we had some trouble with their speed and athleticism. Brad Newley would have evened that up just a little.

Reply #591435 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Just watching the 2014 World Cup game, Aus v Lithuania. We seemed to be so focused and we were just swarming them from every angle. Our lack of strong inside defender didn't seem to matter because we were running them ragged before they even got there. And we were doing that without Patty Mills and obviously without Andrew Bogut.

Is that kind of effort something we could replicate consistently at the Olympics and what will it take to get us from where we are now to that? If we played that way at the Olympics every game we would be a genuine shot at a medal. But if we play similar to have we did tonight, even with the improvements and the obvious running through of sets, we might not beat China.

Reply #591437 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Maric still keeps hanging around off the back of that big game he had against Jordan in the opening game of the 2010 WC. Since then it's been a steep decline. He was terrible in London and didn't get picked for the 2014 WC.

Reply #591438 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

What has Lemanis been smoking.

The only player on his list that rebounds the ball above the rim is Baynes and Bogut.

Motum and Bairstow are the same player - power forwards with no ups, limited offensive moves. Only one of the two should have made the team.

How is Newley not in this team and why did Maric play in this weeks games instead of Nate. Maric is built like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

There is no shot blocking, except for Bogut, who won't be able to play big minutes if he makes it to the line. If Baynes gets into foul trouble we are completely screwed.

Looking at our pool, this team will be lucky to make it to the elimination rounds let alone win a medal.

After watching the game tonight I have already emotionally checked out! Basketball Australia may as well start interviewing for the next Boomers coach.

Reply #591439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most talented pool we've ever had with the worst coach we've ever had.

So sad.

Reply #591440 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am certainly not seeing the method to his madness on court yet. I have held onto that Lithuania game like a piece of hope. We had basically the same team then and we played really well. I have been hoping that is what the end result will be on a regular basis.

And I know tonight was a training run, they were working on things etc, but they failed to impress me in any way. And my friend told me they work working on all these different things, not to worry, but you'd think you would see at least a few stand out plays or passages of play, and we didn't.

I hope for the best but I really don't know what to make of what we have so far. I feel like we need to drop Motum for Newley or Blanchfield and drop Maric for Jawai.

Reply #591441 | Report this post

Anon101  
Years ago

Hey guys I know this is probs the wrong thread but does anyone know where Luke Nevill went? I swear the dudes vanished lol

Reply #591443 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

ME, We've already picked the team, Newley missed out on selection for Rio.

BASKETBALL: The 12 players tasked with bringing home Australia's first Olympic men’s basketball medal have been finalised for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Despite injury Andrew Bogut has been given until the last minute to prove his fitness and play at his third Olympic Games alongside five other players with Olympic experience.

David Andersen will become one of only eight Australian men to compete at four Olympic Games in Rio, Patty Mills and Joe Ingles are off to their third Games while newly crowned NBA champion Matthew Dellavedova and Aron Baynes return after helping the side to 7th at the London 2012 Games.

Chris Goulding, Ryan Broekhoff, Cameron Bairstow, Brock Motum, Kevin Lisch and Damian Martin will make their Olympic debut as the side looks to climb onto the Rio podium.

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/news/basketball-men-believe-they-can-win-first-medal-at-rio-olympics

Reply #591444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Luke Nevill's playing in Taiwan.

Reply #591446 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I realize that, but they can make changes up until the 5th of August.

Does anyone have an idea of the Boomers schedule from hereon?

Reply #591447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What might have been...

Delly/Exum
Mills/Lisch/Newley
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons/Anderson/Maker
Bogut/Baynes

Reply #591450 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Matches against Brazil, Argentina, Lithuania and possibly Spain. After watching the post match press conference I understand that Lemanis has picked a team that can move laterally and play extended, disruptive defense for 40 minutes but you have 12 players and the lack of any forwards or guards that play above the rim is a glaring weakness. Coach Montegomery stated in his press conference our obvious area of weakness is athleticism. Newley would have given this group athleticism and Jawai would have provided shot blocking and both are players that can create their own shot. Maric, Motum and Bairstow really cannot, they have to take what comes their own way.

Really what we have is a squad with no Plan B. If the trapping defense isn't working Lemanis doesn't have a different look on his bench. If we are not getting the shots out our offence we have very little options. It really seems like he has selected the players based upon which had made the most progress in playing the game the way he wants to play totally at the expense of any flexibility. Spot 11 & 12 should be players that give you another look to throw out there.

An injury that brings Newley into this squad would be a god send but an injury that brings Maric into the squad will be the reverse.

Teamwork and effort keep you in games but talent wins you games. There are going to be some hard lessons learnt in Rio

Reply #591451 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I watched the game again and I realize I may have been overly critical of the performance.

It was a quantum leap away from the travesty served up in game 1. That is the first and most noticeable thing upon rewatching. Also, defensive intensity was fairly good.

The guards like Lisch, Mills, Broekhoff rewarded sets with scores. Yet our secondary bigs like Maric, Bairstow and Motum were missing sitters. Those three players are perhaps our weakest links, and I pray they're hidden behind Bogut, Anderson and Baynes when the Olympics roll around.

Australia did a better job dealing with Pac 12's athleticism. And to be fair, these young kids are going to be more athletic than a lot of the teams we come across at the Olympics bar the USA. In fact, we are likely to be quicker than many Euro teams. Our lack of athleticism may not bite us in the ass too hard. And if we do get Bogut, it will go a long way to deterring those shots.

Chris Goulding warrants some more minutes at Rio because he has atleast a baseline level of athleticism. If we can't drop one of Motum or Bairstow and can't pick up Newley, Goulding should be the recipient of more minutes.

I also think we should play Broekhoff a lot at the 4.

Reply #591452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the positivity and the talk that we are going to Rio to win gold. Can someone tell me how we get past France in Game 1 tho ?? Parker, Batum, Gobert, De Colo, Diaw, Lauvergne, Huertel, Pietrus ......

Reply #591454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really want to be positive about this BUT sorry Lemanis in my humble opinion Has bot got the right game plan and back up player support for the NBA group and their talents.

A medal ??? Tell them their dreaming !

Reply #591456 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Such a desultory performance by goulding

Reply #591457 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

As an assistant coach you would imagine Gleeson had some push for Martins inclusion....wondering about Jawai's exclusion?
Must admit it looked a bit bland in the Motum/Bairstow area, should have been the part of the game they dominated against those kids??

Reply #591461 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I love the positivity and the talk that we are going to Rio to win gold. Can someone tell me how we get past France in Game 1 tho ?? Parker, Batum, Gobert, De Colo, Diaw, Lauvergne, Huertel, Pietrus ......"

Games aren't won on paper. I just watched France vs Phillipines and France was very lucky to escape that game. They certainly didn't look any more impressive than the Boomers did last night and they were further along in preparations.

"I really want to be positive about this BUT sorry Lemanis in my humble opinion Has bot got the right game plan and back up player support for the NBA group and their talents.

A medal ??? Tell them their dreaming !"

To be fair, they're still working on their game plan. We really won't know what they'll play like til August 6. They'd be keeping their cards to their chest at the moment because people are scouting them.

I also watched Serbia and Puerto Rico. They weren't much better than we were last night, either. I think we were maybe expecting the Boomers team to dominate more than really watching what was happening

Reply #591467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers have selected the Wrong players, simple as that.Motum. Bairstow, Maric, martin are not good enough.
I would have picked guys like Thon maker, bolden,
Humphries, majok deng instead. They cant do much
worse and will give the boomers athleticism, rebounding and rim protection which have been sorely missed.

Also the coaching has been pathetic, get a new coach,
for god's sake.

Reply #591499 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I get really sick of that argument. What has bolden, deng, or half of those names done to justify selection. People like you watch a few mixtapes and think you know how it will translate in the big leagues.

Reply #591500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding was awful. Our boy Delly maybe even worse.

As for the bigs (except Baynes) - my god

Reply #591501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Me, stick with un-athletic, un-coordinated, slow laterally moving big men like motum, maric, Bairstow who offer no rebounding, defense and rim protection. ~~~ if the boomers want to finish outside the top 8, that is the to go !

Reply #591502 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It is pretty unlikely that the Boomers will finish outside the top 8.

Having said that, you can't assume that young players, who have those physical attributes, will rise to the occasion. They also don't have the bodies of men to compete with men. They will be there in four years. It is not their time now.

As for how Delly played, did you not see his assists?

Do you not understand that this would be each player's first game in months? It's Dellys first game in a month. It's Patty's first for a few. Bairstow has barely player for two seasons. Let them find their feet before judging too harshly.

And by the way, if you want to see what these players could do, you should watch the 2014 game Boomers vs Lithuania at the World Cup.

Reply #591508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply was awful, embarrassed by college players

Reply #591515 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Beating the team by 30 is hardly being embarassed by college players. I will say it was a slightly underwhelming warm up series, but I get the feeling you don't know all the intangibles that come into playing well and all the background stuff that impacts on that.

Reply #591519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I heard on the American broadcast that one of the PAC-12 players, Matisse Thybulle, spent a part of his childhood in Australia and may have dual citizenship? Even considering all the young Australian talent coming through, he looks like a pretty decent prospect and worth an inquiry from BA ...

Reply #591568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thybulle is too small. 6'5 small forward...

We got 6'10 Simmons, 6'7 white, 6'7 adel, maybe 6'10 bolden, 6'8 Cooks, 6'8 McVeigh, 6'8 Pinder. Lots of guys for the future...
Plus 6'7 broekhoff is still mid 20's...

Reply #591569 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There will be qualification years where the qualifying games will be played during the NBA season, meaning we lose those top guys. I think he would be worth pursuing.

Reply #591576 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/2Rg-FiBCDHY

Some Australian highlights from the game

Reply #591637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754