ME
Years ago

Eric Jacobsen signs with Adelaide

A Boti Nagy article today confirms the signing of Eric Jacobsen for the Adelaide 36ers.

Here is a highlights video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVEtFb0DvU

He looks like he has a bit of athleticism and a lot of moves inside. I light the signing.

Topic #39646 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Looks his game suits the NBL nicely.

Reply #591849 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like what Adelaide are doing - obviously don't have the $$$ to compete for the big names (or multiple big names, because I'm sure Randle costs a pretty penny), but bringing in a good young core. Jacobsen seems like he'd be a good priced import, and maybe one of those guys that will stick around if he performs OK at this level.

Reply #591851 | Report this post

7 time champs  
Years ago

Two very young imports and overall a young team.

Reply #591852 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Looks like a solid signing, should play his role nicely.

Reply #591853 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Meh, nothing special about him. He never averaged more than 8 pts and 6 rebs in college, and he only managed 3.4 & 2 in 9.1 mins at Las Vegas. Won't likely translate to much in NBL, will likely put up similar numbers to Hodgson. But cheap 3rd import I guess

Reply #591856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very young team. This will be an interesting season, with so many young keen ballers to coach, they will listen and believe everything Joey tells them. He will have to coach out of his skin to get the desired results this season, not a lot of veteran style leadership out there. Will be fast paced team though. But again don't expect a lot of communication amongst the boys, DJ would be the elder statesmen now, and he is quiet as a mouse.

Reply #591858 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Maybe bring back Ebi for some leadership? hahahah

Reply #591859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was with Joey in the States, can only hope.

Reply #591861 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

definitely going to games and buying courtside seats - saw him play v Arizona and liked his game. Cant wait !

Reply #591867 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Surely they could've done better than this guy. I understand we didn't need a star or anything with Randle being there to bear the scoring load but someone who at least could initiate something on his own and the last thing we needed is another inexperienced player when our whole roster is 25 or under except DJ and Randle.

To me this signing looks like they have jumped at the first player they saw and haven't done their due diligence with other guys at the summer league. Another guy that was suggested on here, Jarrid Famous would've been perfect. Experienced player, similar salary demands, dominant big man at NBL level with his frame.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I'm not excited about this to say the least.

Reply #591889 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wonder who will Captain such a young team.
(Media and public invited to meet Randle at airport arriving 10am)

Reply #591891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would've been pretty busy at summer league, too busy it seems to actually recruit correctly. Tom I'm with you, this guy doesn't seem to be able too create at all.

Reply #591892 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Import big men dont come cheap and cheap import big men dont come world changing. If he plays a role he will be fine but dont expect him to set the league on fire.

Reply #591893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going by the "Highlights" reel, it would appear that Jacobsen is a close to the basket type of player, similar to the role Anthony Petrie played in previous seasons, just a bit bigger and heavier. He replaces Petrie's role in the team as Deng, although the same height, is a lot lighter.

The main scoring will come from Randle, Ferguson, Johnson, etc so he doesn't need to score big, just be the inside presence, compete for offensive rebounds and pick up the close in baskets when the defence is drawn out covering the perimeter players.

Reply #591896 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Count me in as another a bit concerned by this signing. I was of the thought with such a young team the import PF was going to be a bit of a veteran not a college kid. I know they're hard to get for the right money but watching this guy's highlights reel he looks pretty limited.

Looks like his ceiling might be as a Will Hudson type when we probably needed an Ekene Ibekwe/Mickell Gladness type instead.

Reply #591902 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is great signing if he can produce what Petrie brought to the table, but I think that is unlikely. I think he is more likely to be a player at the level of a BJ Anthony (albeit he does not appear to be that active on the boards).

Reply #591903 | Report this post

Je  
Years ago

Certainly one of the more interesting rosters in the league. One thing that stands out to me, even with the signing of Jacobsen, is that they'll probably be the 'skinniest' team in the league. Some good length and athleticism, but I'll be interested to see how their bigs deal with the likes of Jawai, Knight, Bairstow, Wesley etc.

Reply #591909 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

XY, i think you can have higher hopes than that.

Check out this summer league write up. It's one of a couple I've found that seem to talk him up a bit:

http://www.fearthesword.com/2016/7/12/12160146/cavs-summer-league-grades-after-first-three-games

Interesting that Diamon Simpson; a guy a few of us on here (myself included) wouldn't of been unhappy with was given a bit of kicking with a D rating. Jacobsen got an A-.

I think if he can offer a bit more defensively, we're going to notice straight away as it's something our bigs have lacked for a while.

Also, im not sure who Joey plans on starting, but i think Deng can seriously challenge to do so if he's as promising as advertised. Should make for healthy competition in the front court anyway.

Reply #591917 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Also, for anyone who's interested here's another SL write up:

"Outside of the two major players, I was impressed with Eric Jacobsen. The 6'10" undrafted rookie from Arizona State scored 6 points and showed nice shooting form from outside, even if he hit just 1-6 from the field. He also was active on the glass, dealing with Lithuanian power forward Egidijus Mockevicius for three quarters and limiting the reigning NCAA rebounding champion to just 4 in 11 minutes. He's a better athlete than he appears and he has the game of a stretch four. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the Charge this fall"

http://www.fearthesword.com/2016/7/9/12136666/cavs-fall-to-nets-in-summer-league

Reply #591919 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Master Chief, I hope you are right, and I will be very pleased if he exceeds expectations. I like the highlight reel from his Senior Year above, but that all means very little until he plays against grown men (9mpg in Vegas doesn't really count).

I assume Joey saw something in those limited minutes, as I don't otherwise know why we would be clamouring to sign him up so swiftly. The opportunity would be there to take another month or so to consider alternatives, and I can't imagine Jacobsen attracting so much interest that he would become priced out of our league.

Unlike you I would not have been impressed recycling a Diamon Simpson signing, but his SL stats are marginally better than Jacobsen on the same team. The article you referenced suggests that Jacobsen has shown some range though, which is something Diamon would never be accused of!

Reply #591925 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

XY, I don't think it's about being right or wrong in this case. No one can say for sure how a college player will go in his first pro year, but something must have struck Joey about him. I don't think this was a budget signing.

I hate to sound trivial but it did seem like a kind of boring signing initially, considering some of the names thrown around lately. But i think Joey has thought about needs and balance first. I think he could be a Will Hudson type, hopefully with a better jump shot.

Reply #591929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watched the youtube highlights. Meh.

Reply #591939 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Seriously for a 3rd import this guy is good. 36ers would of spent most of the bank on Randle. This guy wouldnt be on much coin!

Reply #591944 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

So lemme check...

Johnson/Hodgson
Jacobsen*/Deng
Drmic/Creek
Ferguson*/Teys
Randle*/Sobey/Doyle

Very, very interesting young roster.

Reply #591947 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Where can we find this so called article from Boti Nagy? It's not on his website.

Reply #591955 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Freethrows, it was reported on Adelaide now. Might still be up, otherwise you'll find it in the B ball section.

Reply #591957 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

@Freethrows - a quick google is all that's required http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/arizona-state-bigman-eric-jacobsen-in-adelaide-36ers-sights-for-final-nbl-import-spot/news-story/d42ef332be962138a5fb553981407a84

Reply #591960 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Looks to have some good footwork down low and a nice little jumper to boot. I can see him connecting with Randle for some nice plays.

Reply #591968 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

PyroCross...I think Jacobsen will start at C and DJ at PF to free him up a bit.

Also, Creek starts ahead of Drmic.

Joey didn't just go and watch him, he worked him out against a couple of other players he was looking at...some of them seasoned pro's.

If you watch the tape and read all his reviews you will find he is exactly what we need and an upgrade on Petrie.

The biggest benefit of him is allowing DJ to move to PF and not having to defend the bigger bodies which affected his offensive output last season.

Reply #591989 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the airport , channels 2 , 7 , 9 and 10 news services were there , and a good crowd to meet ' six shooter ' Randle. Seems a good leader for a young team.

A third import to be announced next week , ch10 told us.

Reply #592009 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Thanks, @DaHuzyBru. I wasn't doubting it, just couldn't find the article.

Jacobsen should fit well. I still think the 36ers will struggle for consistency with such an inexperienced line-up.

Reply #592113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide aren't so strapped for cash as so many people think, this roster is a highy skilled one, good recruiting. They have exceptional versatility and talent, they will contend. Age means nothing.

Reply #592158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the Adelaide 36ers campaign team get on the forum and pump the team up. Id say the team is strapped for cash, if not, the second and third imports wouldve been better than what we have. And unknown although interesting and this guy.

Reply #592162 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754