Dazz
Years ago

Josh Smith???

A Mate suggested to me that the Cats are looking at somebody called Josh Smith.
(To be clear, this is simply your typical "someone told me they read something." He has no connected to the Cats, so its purely a rumour.)

Of course "Josh Smith" must be the modern equivalent Of John.
I did a quick google.
There's one who plays for the Rockets, he's a bout 30.
Then there's this dude:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Smith_%28basketball%29
Am I reading this right?
"Listed weight 350 lb (159 kg)"

I mean I know they may gnat somebody to contain Jawai, but are our courts even rated for that?

Topic #39648 | Report this topic

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Well it aint going to be the 12-year NBA veteran Josh Smith, but yes, it could very well be Joshua Smith from Georgetown.

Reply #591958 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Or could be another one altogether I guess...

But shouldn't that dude be playing NFL or somesuch?
159kg?

Reply #591961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "159" kg Joshua Smith has lost reportedly (and looked) about 30 kgs when he was playing summer league. For someone clearly still a massive man he had some mobility about him.

Reply #591962 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

he dropped over 50 lbs http://sports.yahoo.com/news/joshua-smith-going-from-obese-mode-to-beast-mode-170718348.html

Reply #591963 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Well he fits the Jawai mild for sure. Big body and banger.

http://youtu.be/zYWTk79Z4vw

Reply #591964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man he looks a little slow but he sure is big around the waist. I dont know if he could cope with the tougher defence in the NBL. I think Id pass.

Footage from Jan 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e4iN3pYZxY

Reply #591965 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

That was an interesting read about his weight drop.

I mean it makes sense he could be on the cats radar.

The Wildcats will get him for cheap and promise to give him access to everything he needs to lose weight.

They will give him the spiel about how it's not just about what he can do for the cats, but what the cats organisation can do for him. World class trainers/facilities etc.

It would be a great PR story for everyone involved.

Wildcats would love it too with healthway and the healthy eating message they could promote.

Reply #591966 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

He really does have a soft touch.

He's dropped 50 pounds since May 2016. So he'd be quite smaller than he is in the D-League highlights.

I would think with that article being published on July 9, that if he was looking overseas it might have mentioned it.

It would be a gamble on how he manages his weight, but he could be a good bargin player that pays off big dividends.

Hell offer him weight target bonuses if you need to.

Reply #591967 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looks like a poor man's Jawai from that NBDL footage, which I guess is exactly what Perth would've been looking for.

Reply #591969 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

please no he is shit!!

Reply #591970 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It would be a gamble, but i think Brandt has shown he can play some big time minutes in the past.

Reply #591971 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wouldn't get too worked up either way.
This was just something a mate said to me, and I don't even know if its the right "Josh SMith."

Its really just that when I googled him, I thought it was an interested read.
Crikey, according to that article, when he started training he was 383 pounds (that's 174kg) and he took 11.5 minutes to run the mile.

I am now suspecting this may well have been a joke. My mate insists he heard it from someone, but I'd say this started with somebody sarcastically suggesting this was the kind of heavy-weight we would chase after Jawai.

But apparently he's now down to around 327 lbs. Thats good progress.
Supposedly he was going to play for the Bucks in the Summer League? Anyone know how he did?

Reply #591973 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Whats Ibekwe doing ? or Charles Jackson

Reply #591974 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ibekwe has signed somewhere in Europe.

As for this Josh Smith guy, I'd hope not. The NBL is a fast paced league and he will get run off of the floor here. I realize that Jawai contributes well in his minutes, but you wouldn't pay an import for the same role.

Reply #591975 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^jawai was on import money wasn't he?

Reply #591977 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

wasnt Jawai on 250K ++

Reply #591978 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

anyway id hardly think Perth would go for another overweight unfit talent again for that money. Probably the reason Jawai left Perth for Cairns

Reply #591979 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jawai was on gun local money, which in most cases is more than import money. The myth that imports get the biggest dollars is a carry over from the 80s, early 90s when the NBL was a semi pro league without much local talent.

Reply #591980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean "was" a semipro league?

Reply #591981 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Jawai is still likely to be a better player and bring more of an X factor in his minutes than this Josh Smith character.

Reply #591982 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Watched him at summerleague he is way slower than jawai dont like his game at all!

Reply #591986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He averaged about 6 points 6 rebounds for the bucks in about 15 mins in the summer league. Most of the scouting pieces I have read said that NBA team were impressed and his output was above expected but they still had concerns about him maintaining his weight and not slipping off again.

Coming to Perth might give him that opportunity to prove he can go a full season in shape. I think he would be better than Jawaii. Less injury prone also

Reply #591987 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I would rule this guy out if it wasn't for his weight issues.

It seems like a bargin deal for the Wildcats and chance to show what their program can do for players.

I was hoping for a mini-dwight howard type of player like Willie Reed (Unfortunately he just signed with the heat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtXrZ9mdsxw

After reading that recent article where Matt Neilson was quoted as saying players were out of their price range - it makes me think that this Smith guy might actually be on their radar.

Reply #591991 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dazz - Who's your mate and how did he get Joshua Smith's name as a potential import?

For what it's worth, Joshua Smith played in the same summer league team (RGV Vipers) in 2015/16 with Jaron Johnson.

And a tweet I made last wee just got retweeted and quoated by a sports journo that covers the RBV Vipers.

Dennis Silva (@densilva2) says

"RGV Vipers center could find himself reuniting with '15-16 Vipers teammate Jaron Johnson in Perth of NBL."

And quoted my tweet:

"Joshua Smith from Georgetown and who played with the Bucks in the summer league is being linked to the Wildcats"

Which I made after reading this post.

So this could just be the blind leading the blind. Or perhaps there's more substance than this.

The fact that Jaron and Smith were on the same Summer League team seems much more than a coincidence.

I love this time of year - it's always fun to try and work out who's being targeted by clubs.

Reply #592110 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Sorry not summer league. D-league is what I meant.

Reply #592111 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I will turn 50 this year.
I have a phone that I use to make calls.
I don't have a Twitter account, but I do understand the basics of how it works. I think.
I also comprehend the basic concept of a Hashtag.

So I have done a little more digging (aka "asked my mate.")

So basically my mate got this on his Twitter "feed".
Someone he knows "re-tweeted" an article about Josh Smith losing 50 pounds, accompanied with a comment that he was being "linked" to the Wildcats.

So yeah, not much to that.

Reply #592115 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So I have done a little more digging (aka "asked my mate.")

So basically my mate got this on his Twitter "feed".
Someone he knows "re-tweeted" an article about Josh Smith losing 50 pounds, accompanied with a comment that he was being "linked" to the Wildcats.

So yeah, not much to that.

Is your mate RMQ?

Reply #592118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so it must be true

Reply #592119 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Your mate is quoting me and I used your OP to create my tweet. See how that doesn't make sense?

So where did ur mate get the original idea from. What ur saying sound like he's referencing my tweet.

I only know Dazz from this forum.

Reply #592135 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh, as I said from the start, it was only a rumour.

About the only thing further investigation has revealed is that at some point somebody was talking about the SAME "Josh Smith" ie the dude who shed 50 pounds.

NB: To the best of my knowledge, neither I nor my friends know RMQ.

Reply #592150 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's funny, I've been looking at the Summer League stats. (As supposedly that is where we have found our new Centre.)
This guy doesn't look too bad.

He played 5 games. Didn't score many points, but monstered the boards.
(and even managed 6 steals, that's good hands for a giant.)

Interesting to see what the Cats have gone for? Whether they have chased offence or defence.
(Knowing the Cats, defence and rim-protection would be important.)

Reply #592757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754