Luuuc
Years ago

Wildcats sign Jaron Johnson

From members email:

Perth Wildcats sign American Jaron Johnson

Perth Wildcats fans can prepare for an aerial assault this season, with the signing of high-flyer Jaron Johnson.

The highly athletic American will join Casey Prather on the wings in 2016/17, after agreeing to a one-year deal with the reigning NBL Champions.

Johnson is shooting guard who stands at 198cm and weighs 93kg.

His wingspan is 203cm and his maximum vertical leap an incredible 95cm.

He's ready to rock Perth Arena.

"I’m very excited and thankful for the opportunity to be heading down under to play basketball," said Johnson.

“I know the Perth Wildcats are a championship organisation and I want to be a part of that success.

“I think I’ll be able to bring some highlights on the offensive end, but on defence I’ll be working hard, doing whatever it takes for my new teammates.”

Jaron Johnson has spent two years playing in the NBA Development League for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, averaging 16.7 points per game at 45.5 per cent from the field.

The 24-year-old is an offensive threat from deep, making just under 40 per cent of three-pointers attempted.

He also pulls down 4.9 rebounds per game and gives off 2.4 assists.

Most recently, he played for both the Indiana Pacers and the NBA D-League Select team at the NBA Summer League.

He played eight games throughout the tournaments, including a 17-point, 8-rebound effort in just 21 minutes of court time against the Houston Rockets.

“He’s exciting. He’s athletic and extremely aggressive - which I really loved with watching him play.”

Perth Wildcats assistant coach Matt Nielsen watched him play at the NBA Summer League this month.

“He also shoots the ball very well, he makes good decisions, he’s good with the ball in his hand. I was impressed with his shooting, especially when you see someone so athletic, you usually have lesser expectations, but he shoots the ball really well,” said Nielsen.

“I’m expecting he and Casey (Prather) to compliment each other. They’re both going to get their opportunities to create for themselves, each other and for the team. Their length and speed is going to cause match-up problems for a lot of people.

“We’ll definitely have some highlight reels, that’s for sure.”

Jaron Johnson attended Louisiana Tech, where in his senior season he had 18 starts, averaging 9.1 points per game.

His hometown is Tyler in Texas, where he attended John Tyler High School.

Johnson becomes the second import player signed to the Perth Wildcats 2016/17 roster.

The Wildcats have three vacant roster positions to fill prior the season commencing in October.

Topic #39649 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Interesting. So I guess Beal is definitely leaving then.

Reply #591995 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

this guy can seriously dunk!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kLYtIMdGo

Reply #591996 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Perth CBD = Lob City...

Reply #591997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, the wildcats are super smart with their import choice. They absolutely go after guys that maybe average 2-3 points less in D leagues and NBA Summer league if they can bring some athleticism and highlights to the jungle.

The average fan values highlights over production by a mile. This is not to say this dude won't be a legit product. Just a comment on their recruiting. I'm impressed!

Reply #591998 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

shooting just under 40 from 3 isnt just an athlete can shoot it

Reply #591999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt - still a great import choice. But we no doubt have a preference to highlight producing imports over perhaps more accomplished products.

The cats article says he will replace Beal and play the SG spot. Same height as Prather, if this guy is a good defender the Martin, Prather Johnson back court will be a nightmare defensively.

Reply #592000 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Loving this 3 imports idea.. Still got a boss Center to come.

Reply #592001 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Looks like the Wildcats would have sold him on the promise to develop his three point shot and give him the opportunity to shoot the three - as that is what he'll need to do as Beal's replacement.

Great signing.

Athletic, aggressive and a strong finisher. If he makes threes when necessary he's the total package.

Reply #592002 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Thank you Dolla Beal

http://www.wildcats.com.au/featured-news/perth-wildcats-thank-jermaine-beal/

Reply #592004 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Facebook page going crazy!!

Reply #592005 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The casuals... they love the 'Dunk Shots' but the imports...

Reply #592008 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Man, I'm gonna miss Dolla! I hope we don't regret this...

Reply #592010 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Am I the only disappointed by this?

After winning the championship, the Wildcats claimed their focus was on retaining the same team. That hasn't really worked out has it.

Beal had been inconsistent last season, but he also pulled our fat out of the fire on more than one occasion. He won two championships with us, was the finals MVP in 2014, and Cats MVP in 15.

I have always known that the Cats would replace him if a BETTER option presented. I'm just not sure they've done that. I hope to be proven wrong, but at best they have taken a huge gamble.

Who cares if this guy can dunk? We need a SG who can shoot 3's, and this guy managed only 25% at the Summer League.

Reply #592012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares what he shot at summer league. I'm sure there are some guys at summer league who shot 100% in their small court time. Should we sign them?

He shot well in D league over a whole season.

Beal had a good run but it was time to go. He hit some big shots and had the odd big game but he was far too inconsistent.

Reply #592013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal shot 36% from the field and 35% from 3 last year.

Gliddon, Randle, Penney, Abercrombie, Jett all shot better than 45% just for an example. He just wasn't as good as he was in the previous years.

Reply #592014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Dazz...

Reply #592015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is even with good flashy imports "Wildcats basketball" during Bevo and now Gleeson era has been defensive sludgerry which is unwatchable.

Reply #592016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF is sludgerry?

Reply #592018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sludgeball

awful style of basketball to watch

Reply #592020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfected by Goorjian, imitated by Bevo and now Gleeson, just hack the sht out of the opponent and play something more akin to indoor rugby than basketball.

Reply #592021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wah Wah Wah

*Points to all our rings*

Reply #592022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest giving it a better title but the Wildcats took them all...

Reply #592023 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Problem is even with good flashy imports "Wildcats basketball" during Bevo and now Gleeson era has been defensive sludgerry which is unwatchable
Yeah, doesn't get much more boring than this:

Reply #592024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha great sample size one game

and a game where it's beating up on a hapless Kings so they didn't have to "grind" it as badly as they usually do.

Reply #592026 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dazz - wildcats claiming to keep the same roster was just media spin. It was to keep fans like you happy.

The reality was it was always going to be difficult to keep all the same players.

Beal was great. But his time is up.

Give this guy a chance. I think he will surprise you.

Reply #592027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wah Wah Wah

*Points to all our rings*"

lol

Wildcats have two under the boring era of bevo & gleeson. don't include the original four that was back when they were entertaining.

and I'm not denying it doesn't work - Goorjian perfected it and won six rings.

but it's boring especially when it's a pale imitation of Goorj.

Reply #592028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

three rings boring era not two it should read

Reply #592029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your last three posts have been the boring era of Hoops.

Reply #592031 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

God, that game. Damo physically harmed that poor man's *career*.

Reply #592033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yeah - just having a laugh about the rings comment. We don't play the most exciting basketball. But the NBL was an unexciting league for a few years.

Reply #592035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Anon above NBL was boring since going to 40mins and defensive but the Cats were the worst at it.

As a lifelong Wildcats supporter the recent era has been boring basketball. For other supporters to be offended by my opinion and reply snidely or with random video links shows they have issues.

Reply #592036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most boring era of Hoops coincides with the infestation of it by hyper-defensive 'Cats fans.

Reply #592037 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Am I the only disappointed by this?"

Probably not the only one but I'd guess that you're in the minority.
I think that entertainment factor is every bit as important as wins for the Cats this coming season. Only time will tell how well JJ fits in to the team, but I think it's the right decision for the club to go for a guy like this.

Reply #592038 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

True Anon above NBL was boring since going to 40mins and defensive but the Cats were the worst at it.
How does the length of the game affect the entertainment value?

Reply #592040 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, Damo SO Boring he's off to Rio.

If you want to watch games with no defense, stick to College Ball (or highlight reels.)

I'm the opposite. I HATE watching games where teams just swap possession and trade baskets.
You have to assume that at professional level, anyone can score if unopposed. Defense is what separates the pro's from the wannabes.

Reply #592047 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If you want to watch Jaron's last Summer League game, it was on July 11 for the D-league Select Vs Houston. He's wearing no. 19 for the grey team. Comes off the bench.

From what I've so far...

He's more than just dunks in traffic and threes.

He can create off the dribble and handle the rock. Well be able to create his own shot off the dribble. Quicker, stronger and longer than Beal - but not sure if he's shooting percentage will be as polished.
Stroke looks nice. Will be a match up problem. Legit 6'5 SG.

Reply #592058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a bit torn by this. I think ultimately the cats had to upgrade their roster to win it again and this move is an attempt to do so. But beal was a great player for us, a good team man and a fan favorite so you'd want to be sure about Johnson if you're swinging this move. Won two titles in three years. Whilst beal replaced another favorite in lisch, this one feels different since we're the ones cutting the ties

Reply #592081 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm not hating this yet but I think I'll love it if we can sign Steve Holt and have him coming off the bench, that will give us another promote attest and another ball handler and if Prather gets in foul trouble then JJ can play some SF.

If we can't get Holt and a Gladness type then I want some beast in the post that can help Knoght or Brandt and not that Josh Smith dude

Reply #592092 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We now have TWO imports, and the 3rd is being reserved for a BIG. Hopefully a Centre, buts its always possible they could land a 4 (or even a stretch 4) and move Knight back to the 5.

Unless there's a big Aussie centre waiting to be snapped up, they're not going to use the 3rd import slot on a bench player.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, DKD will most likely be the bench SG. Along with Redhage they are presumably just waiting on finalising that last import spot before inking their deals.

(In fact now that they have announced Prather and JJ, and parted ways with Beal, announcements regarding DKD and Shawn may follow at the opportune moment.)

Reply #592116 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Unless there's a big Aussie centre waiting to be snapped up

Schenscher!

Reply #592120 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Neville?

Reply #592131 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ok, let me re-phrase. LOL
"A Big Aussie centre, of the requisite quality, waiting to be snapped up."
Which would have to mean somebody ex Europe.

The Cats have clearly said that they are chasing an import for the spot, but who knows"

There was always that "rumour" about Motum.

Reply #592149 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Pretty sure this is how the 11 is going to look for the Wildcats:

1 Damian Martin / Jarrod Kenny
2. Jarrin Johnson / Dexter Kendrich-Drew
3. Casey Prather / Greg Hire
4. Matt Night / Jesse Wagstaff / Shawn Redage
5. Import / Angus Brandt

Just watched some more footage on JJ. He's definitely more than just dunks. He has a nice stroke from down town too.

Reply #592228 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Pretty Sure? I'd say exactly sure.

I'd suggest that unless they land their import Centre shortly, they may even announce DKD or Redhage to fill in the dead-space.

Only possible change I would foresee to that, might be if they identify a dynamite athletic stretch 4 as their import, in which case Knight will rotate back to the 5.
Or conceivably if there is another quality (ex Europe) Aussie available.

Reply #592405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they tell us what is happening on face value.

Reply #592406 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Knight has said in the past he prefers the 4 and works best there.. if they don't get a center, it'd be quite surprising.

Reply #592438 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, very surprising, and foolish IMO.
Highly doubt that'll happen. But we never really know the truth.

Reply #592441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Forde our assistant coach is a regular on the State Basketball League podcast. He said the cats will be announcing the signing of a 5 man import within a few days.

Reply #592442 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^U got a link to that podcast?

Reply #592445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://98five.com/player/Podcast/index.php?name=SBL2629161029.mp3

Reply #592451 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

CHurrs

Reply #592457 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Curious to see which way they go, mobile big with soft touch and skills or big bully enforcer like Jawai but with longer lasting battery.

Given their aim of being more athletic, looks like the former. Who knows.

Reply #592461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names floating about in the Twittersphere?

Reply #592503 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think they need to go BIG.

Knight has played the 5 well in the past, but was also injury prone. There's no doubt that he (and the team) benefited from having Jawai.

When you look at some of the size other teams have added, I'm hoping for big.

Be interesting to see if they go for a younger guy out of college, or somebody thats been banging around for a few years.

Reply #592510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754