Statman
Years ago

Bogut V Cambage - bad blood?

So noticed on Twitter late yesterday Bogut tweeting an apology/retraction of sorts to an earlier tweet he'd made regarding police in Vic, nothing of note there until Cambage pops up with "better late than never :)" which Bogey clearly wasnt happy with.
He responded pretty swiftly with a dig at Canbage about skipping trainings for music festival and she then bit back as well. Is there any previous history between these 2 or is Cambage just universally not popular? Or is bogut just being a dick? (Prob a bit of both I guess)

Either way prob not a good look 2 weeks out from an Olympics having a public spat between 2 players!

Topic #39661 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Nobody seems to actually like Cambage a great deal in the basketball world. She seems to have a closer friendship with Briggs on Twitter than anyone in the Opals or Boomers squad, from a distant observation.

Glad to see Bogut call her out though. Lad

Reply #592287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who doesn't Cambage have bad blood with?

Reply #592288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agreed.... She seems to have a massive chip on her shoulder about everyone and everything

Reply #592289 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Funny thing though about this... Toadfish is involved. Bogut to star in next season of Neighbours?

Reply #592290 | Report this post

fatguy  
Years ago

think you are looking to deep

Boggy wrote a tweet, Cambage responded immaturely, Bogut responded so he would not be seen "Taking an L"
Its how 99% of people react when someone says something stupid to dis you

Reply #592291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elizabeth CambageVerified account
‏@ecambage
@andrewbogut @fomoaus HA! If you're looking for truth and honesty maybe you should ask @basketballaus why I sat out last year

... Because she didn't show up to camp ...

Reply #592292 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cambage is a tool. She is now trying to throw Basketball Australia under the bus for her decision to go to a music festival. THis is just like how she turned a teammate in black face into a public scandal rather than deal with the issue in-house. And then there was the full WNBA seasons she's lost due to her inability to cope with life. She is a loose cannon.

As for Briggs, he is just another one who talks smack about white people 24/7 but will have a massive cry if anyone who is white returns the favor. Her friendship with him says just about everything we need to know about her.

I don't care if she can dunk, or if she is one of Australia's 12 best female basketball players, Basketball Australia would be best served cutting ties with her at the end of this Olympics. They surely have other big girls and don't need Liz blowing up or having random panic attacks on them all the time.

Reply #592293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd seeing a player counting down until their Olympic stint is -over-.

Elizabeth Cambage ‏@ecambage
gotta keep reminding myself only 27 days left of playing the good girl

Reply #592294 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And after that I suppose she intends on taking public swipes at teammates and ending up in random places she shouldn't be while training is on?

Reply #592295 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

Race and colour or ancestral heritage has nothing to do with some people's views on Liz, including mine.

She appears to be still immature in her view and self-importance at times. She seems to have developed an entitled view to her life from being feted and fawned upon, much of that coming from being gifted in a sport that she just doesn't like very much but plays to make money and be semi-famous..

She just another Kyrgios , older, and less honest (or self aware) about her ambivalence to the sport.

Reply #592297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly sure Bogut was being entirely insincere in his 'apology/retraction', given that there aren't a lot of cases of police shooting people in Melbourne. Don't think nuance or context is particularly important to Bogut when commenting on social issues, and he definitely doesn't strike me as the apologizing/reflective type to be honest ...

Reply #592298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how does Aaron Bruce connect with any of this?

Reply #592300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage has stated she is going to take a break from basketball after the Olympics. I reckon it might end up a permanent break.

Reply #592301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're both knobs, but for entirely different reasons.

Cambage is a spoilt brat who blames everyone else for her issues and has shown no interest in being a team player.

Bogut thinks he is across all current affairs issues but doesn't have the capacity to understand anything complex. His crusade against political correctness is moronic.

Reply #592302 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, both players are known to put their feet in it on social media and both contributed to this mess. (Was pretty obvious to me that Bogut's "highly regret that tweet" was pure sarcasm)

Reply #592303 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exactly they're both idiots. Cambage is just a modern day version of Bogut who could forget his disrespectful comments about Longley before he had even played in the NBA and his lack of commitment to the Boomers from 2008-2015 when he was in his prime.

As entertaining as it might be to watch two drunks going at it out the front of the pub they both just crave attention so ignore them and keep walking.

Reply #592305 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

* 2008-2014

Reply #592306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He spent a fair bit of that time with some significant injuries so not sure how was either in his prime, or showed a lack of commitment to the Boomers.

Reply #592312 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's pretty clear where his priorities have been (i.e. not with the Boomers), but it's also hard to hold that against him considering the NBA $$$ at stake for him. Can't say I would have done any different in his shoes.

Reply #592314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

name one situation where Bogut hasn't played because hasn't been committed Zodiac??
But agree, both of these players are ass clowns.

Reply #592316 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Can't say he hasn't been commited as a result of injury. Bit harsh to say the least.

As for his apology, I don't think he would make it unless it had some sincerity to it. He was apologising more so for his lack of knowledge about the issue and his comment made earlier as a result. Then Liz had to pop up to make sure she seems relevant and important.

ME as for Briggs your comments couldn't be further from the truth.

Reply #592336 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

His "apology" was

"highly regret that tweet. Did some research and shocked at the number of police shooting ppl in Melb. Apologies."

Come on. Clearly sarcastic.

Reply #592341 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Haha yeah true. Tad disappointing but odd to delete the original post then make a sarcastic response. Or he just tweeted an apology without thinking

Reply #592347 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Don't care much for either, but Bogut's tweets over the last few months finally got the better of me. I unfollowed him a while back. Knob.

Reply #592351 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His tweet was inflammatory and unnecessary. Hers were on the right track. Out of context, the counting down tweet seems bad, but in context she's experiencing pushback against being vocal on topics that transcend basketball. She can seem petulant otherwise, but not out of line here.

Reply #592356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dude is Croatian. No way in hell was he admitting he got something wrong!

Reply #592359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon,

Bogut didn't play a single game for the Boomers in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014. He wasn't injured for 6 straight years I remember but if you choose to remember different cool bananas.

Reply #592361 | Report this post

eyeshutopen  
Years ago

Liz cares only about herself although jumps on any left wing cause in the most high profile way possible in order to get likes on social media.

She is very unlikable, fake and immature.

Bogut is just a sarcastic troll who posts in a similar way to a lot of us on twitter, reddit or hoops.com.au. Only difference is that he is a multi millionaire with a larger platform. I respect that he doesn't apologise, delete tweets or worry about being liked.

I don't understand what the Aaron Bruce reference was although perhaps he was also at that music festival with Liz and could share what she got up to while there although I have no idea why he brought Aaron's name into the convo.

Reply #592363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut didn't play a single game for the Boomers in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014. He wasn't injured for 6 straight years I remember but if you choose to remember different cool bananas."

No he wasn't but when Boomers commitments came around, he was most likely either injured or recovering from an injury where he chose to rehab rather than play for the Boomers. What did you expect him to?

Reply #592366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"She is very unlikable..."

"I respect that he doesn't...worry about being liked."

Oh.

Reply #592367 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You do know there is a difference between the 2 right?

She's fake and arrogant, but wants you to like her.

He just doesn't care if you do or not.

Reply #592368 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

She was out of line to an extent. She didn't need to say anything at the time, as it had been finished, but wanted to bring attention to herself and get another 3 retweets.

She is constantly trying to jump on any opportunity to get some more notoriety. I don't see too many tweets from her that involve her actually being involved with the communities, instead they always seem to be commentary from afar.

Reply #592372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you have a following, why not use that to further a cause you believe deserves support? In this case, it's BLM and I back that as deserving support. I imagine it would be a cause much closer to her personally than me too.

Reply #592381 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

When it comes to black lives matter movement, I suggest people look at the police shooting statistics by race, violent crime by race, and resisting arrest by race before deciding that the movement is valid or otherwise. The stats do not support their stance.

Reply #592382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

24 and she acts like an 16 year old, Bogut just calls it how it is

Reply #592390 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm a Cambage lover.
For me , she can do no wrong.
She can only do righter...

Reply #592398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, you provide those stats and tell us what they mean. Can guarantee you have already misinterpreted them.

Reply #592401 | Report this post

Hmm  
Years ago

Bogut is just an older version of Liz, he's always been an arrogant knob and as someone said before, fairly unlikeable. I agree with what has been written about Liz too. Immature, social climbing and definitely reminds me of Kyrgios. She's talented and was pretty much born to play basketball, but doesn't appreciate it or have any understanding of how grateful she should be to be in the position she is in.
Unfortunately Twitter has enabled those who shouldn't have a public opinion to be granted a voice.

Reply #592416 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Her following is about 28k I believe. She should be getting far more, but she overloads her Twitter with her thoughts. Maybe she should calm them down a bit and focus on her career. If she did that her followers would increase and then she would have my eyes and ears paying attention to her, but it seems she isn't able to comprehend this. Look at the following many other female athletes in her position have in comparison, and it's not going to take long to work out why hers is so far below them.

Not saying she isn't backing a good cause, but how she goes about it doesn't serve it any justice half the time. She's passive aggressive at best a lot of the time, and doesn't handle herself in a mature fashion.

Simply put, if she shut up and focused the past few years on being the best she can be on court, and took some sound social media marketing advice, she would be able to share her views to a much larger audience, and possibly ins more mature way that would get better attention and create better dialogue. Instead she gives people the perception that she is merely an angry woman with a chip on her shoulder that wants the spotlight on her and doesn't care about anything or anyone else.

ME, you look like a moron quoting the stats. You might want to get a better understanding of the matter before commenting further.

Reply #592421 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Also, look at her Twitter following and then how many actually share her posts. As scribe once said, not many if any!

Reply #592424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone hasn't worked out ME is a moron is a concern in itself

Reply #592428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually ME is correct with his stats remark, more lives are lost by shootings from people of the same race as opposed to the white V black theory, and more shooting by police occur because of resisting arrest by means of shooting back at police trying to do their job...... Are the police trigger happy? you bet your backside they are.... But when those they are chasing have a 99.5 % chance of being armed and will use their "constitutional" right to fire at will, then can you blame them.

Regardless it should be All lives matter.

Cambage should focus on her Olympics challenge and not even be on a social network tweeting such crap as how many days she has left to be a "good girl" these athletes are supposed to be role models the younger generation can look up too, not just literally because she's gigantic in size. Lead by example should be any athletes motto, someone needs to put her on the right track though I fear she actually thinks she is.

Reply #592433 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3709931/Olympics-Basketball-Cambage-makes-stand-diverse-Australia.html

Liz is one of australia's highest paid athletes , ( which was very important to note in the interview) and she states "I feel like the whole of Australia should be ashamed for what happened with Adam Goodes" The whole of Oz ehh.. Liz, including those of us who supported him totally, including all of us in the indigenous community ?

"If I don't call (racism) out, who's going to do it?" Cambage, who won bronze with Australia's 'Opals' at London, said in an interview with Reuters.

Yes Liz , there only you between us and racism.

Although initially reluctant to take it seriously, her natural talent was obvious to coaches and she was offered a scholarship to the Australian Institute of Sport, the national training centre for elite athletes in Canberra, when just 15.

She has since become one of the world's most sought-after players and her lucrative five-month deal to join a Shanghai team last year put her among Australia's highest-paid athletes.

Cambage will represent Australia with pride at Rio, however, and will be important for the Opals' hopes of capturing an elusive gold after medalling at the last five Olympics.

"Everyone goes to the Games with their eyes on the prize which is a gold medal," she said. "Just to be at the Olympics is an achievement but to be able to walk home with a medal is indescribable, really."

Liz, I can stretch my credulity and believe that you mean well, but who can really tell from outside your head if its altruism for others or self-absorbed "look at me" immaturity that really motivates you.

With Patty Mills , I know its his deep feeling for where he and especially his mum came from, and both his parent's people - but you ? I have never heard you say or do anything on behalf of refugees, nigerian or otherwise. But then like so many people who have spent time with you, I'm not listening very hard anymore. So its clearly my fault. Sorry..

Reply #592434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Actually ME is correct with his stats remark, more lives are lost by shootings from people of the same race as opposed to the white V black theory, and more shooting by police occur because of resisting arrest by means of shooting back at police trying to do their job...... Are the police trigger happy? you bet your backside they are.... But when those they are chasing have a 99.5 % chance of being armed and will use their "constitutional" right to fire at will, then can you blame them.

Regardless it should be All lives matter."

Thanks Mr Trump.

Reply #592437 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't have Twitter

#thereforeIdon'thaveproblems

Reply #592446 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Anonymous is Trump.

I just can't wait for the day to be counted down. I hope she says she never plays for Australia again, then tries to give her teammates shit, and then all the dirty laundry about her they've kept secret comes out slowly.

Reply #592460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that's what the Bruce reference was about?

Reply #592472 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ME, you look like a moron quoting the stats. You might want to get a better understanding of the matter before commenting further."

So stats are wrong, Liz Cambage's "blame all white people" inference is correct?

"ME, you provide those stats and tell us what they mean. Can guarantee you have already misinterpreted them. "

Simply put, blacks account for 53% of violent criminals in the United States, and whites are shot by police, unarmed and otherwise, almost twice as much. You can search that up and find out for yourself. When you consider how often they're involved in violent crime, you can see how black people are shot at rates disproportionate to the 13 percent of the population that they are - look up crimes by race and find just how many criminal facets they dominate. You also might want to consider why the whites who are shot never seem to make the news despite government stats showing that there are twice as many cases of them. But oh, sorry, I had better find some convoluted reason to blame whitey for police being more involved with black people, who cause disproportionately more crime and live in communities that are heavily more violent. Oh, I know - Slavery.

Black lives matter is a farce. If black lives truly mattered to Black Lives Matter they'd work on changing the fact that the most common cause of death for African Americans aged 15-40 is homicide, and the vast majority of those homicides are black on black.

Please enlighten me as to what I have misinterpreted? Maybe do as I suggested and look at the statistics.

"I just can't wait for the day to be counted down. I hope she says she never plays for Australia again, then tries to give her teammates shit, and then all the dirty laundry about her they've kept secret comes out slowly. "

She's a loose cannon. There will be plenty of stories.

"With Patty Mills , I know its his deep feeling for where he and especially his mum came from, and both his parent's people - but you ? I have never heard you say or do anything on behalf of refugees, nigerian or otherwise. But then like so many people who have spent time with you, I'm not listening very hard anymore. So its clearly my fault. Sorry.."

Patty Mills also doesn't shame large groups of people. He can talk about issues in the indigenous community without finger pointing and blaming. He doesn't spend his time calling people racist with little cause. This is why people can get behind a Patty Mills cause but roll their eyes at an Adam Goodes or Liz Cambage. When you tell the public they're part of a problem, they will not like you. When you embrace to public as Patty has done, people are more helpful and sympathetic to the cause.

Reply #592473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has violent crime got to do with anything when a number of the recent high profile cases do not involve a black person committing anything close to a violent crime? Selling loose cigarettes, having a busted tail light, running away from a cop, or lying on the ground with your hands in the air, are not reasons to shoot them but that's what happened.

Reply #592492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When you're tell the public they are part of the problem, they will not like you."

What if the public IS part of the problem? They can never be called out because people won't like it?

Reply #592494 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"What has violent crime got to do with anything when a number of the recent high profile cases do not involve a black person committing anything close to a violent crime? Selling loose cigarettes, having a busted tail light, running away from a cop, or lying on the ground with your hands in the air, are not reasons to shoot them but that's what happened. "

Resisting arrest, resisting arrest, and oh... resisting arrest. Police work is life or death. They don't have the time to figure out whether or not you are going to quickdraw a gun. A few of those cases there is evidence to suggest the victim was reaching for a gun. I am not saying these things are justified or that the shootings should have happened, but it does not happen disproportionately to blacks rather than whites when police have to deal with blacks more as I've outlined.

""When you're tell the public they are part of the problem, they will not like you."

What if the public IS part of the problem? They can never be called out because people won't like it?"

In the case of Black Lives Matter, it is debatable if the problem is even what she thinks it is. The problem certainly is not disproportionate slaying of black people when all things are considered. The problem might be heavy handed police who are reckless, but that is not a racial consideration when it happens to twice as many whites. BLM might as well be a domestic terrorism organization. They shut down public functions to spout their nonsense to people who aren't even involved in their "problem" (eg a gay pride rally) and they call for the death of cops, and hypocritically celebrate the death of a black cop, whose life suddenly doesn't matter. It is yet another 2016 victimhood movement that has been fueled by bias media propaganda.

As soon as you show people the facts on it, they start to lose their minds.

Reply #592499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of those cases I mentioned involved anyone reaching for a gun. Its not a matter of the police dealing with more black criminals, it is a matter of them being killed for crimes like Driving While Black.

Not just that but as soon as the cops fuck up, they go in to damage control in order to save the skin of their fellow officers. They release the priors for the victim to the media so they can create the "well he wasn't exactly an angel" narrative, which people lap up.

If, and that's a big if, the incident results in charges against the police, then there is decades of history of the justice system letting the black victims and their families down time and time again.

If you have just looked at stats and decided there is no issue, you are completely ignorant to their cause.

Reply #592500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you talk all this shit on reddiit or a site that isn't for discussing how much of a beast Thon "old man" maker is gonna be

Reply #592502 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Resisting arrest, resisting arrest, and oh... resisting arrest.
Yes, being black is an excellent way to get charged with resisting arrest.

It's often the only charge, and since you can't arrest someone for resisting until they actually resist...

Police work is life or death.
Yes, it is. It's a fairly dangerous occupation (although not in the top 10-20, in terms of deaths per capita), and hundreds or thousands of officers are killed every year in car accidents.

What if the public IS part of the problem? They can never be called out because people won't like it?
Exactly. It's perfectly fine for these minorities to have their causes and things, as long as they behave. But if they get all uppity obviously you have to put them in their place, or we might have to, y'know, actually change things, or feel uncomfortable or something. And really, who has time for that?

BLM might as well be a domestic terrorism organization.
Yes, a touch under 33% of the BLM movement is a domestic terrorism organisation.

In that it's mostly domestic, but neither terrorism nor an organisation.

that is not a racial consideration when it happens to twice as many whites.
I don't think you know what 'twice as many' means.

There's also the consideration of the sort of thing that gets you shot, which is markedly different. Look at the Bundy ranch standoff, where a bunch of white people pointed guns at police and none of them were shot at. Look at the police shooting a black guy because they thought the white guy next to him had a gun (it was a toy truck). Or the police ordering a black guy to present their licence and registration, then shouting 'gun!' when he predictably reached into his car, and shooting him.

Reply #592504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Her following is about 28k I believe. She should be getting far more, but she overloads her Twitter with her thoughts.
This is just unbelievable.

It's her Twitter account, she's allowed to use it however she sees fit, and prioritise whatever she wants.

The rest of the criticism of her on here is that she demands attention to much. Exactly what is she supposed to do, then? If she's honest and open she gets criticised for saying unpopular things, if she tries to get/act/be popular she's criticised for being 'fake' or demanding attention.

Regardless it should be All lives matter.
Do you interrupt breast cancer awareness events/campaigns to complain that all cancers should matter?

Because that would actually be a better use of your time; breast cancer is funded hugely disproportionately to other cancers. Nobody is going around killing police officers en masse.

Cambage should focus on her Olympics challenge and not even be on a social network tweeting such crap as how many days she has left to be a "good girl" these athletes are supposed to be role models the younger generation can look up too,
According to whom? When did being good at a sport give anyone an obligation to be a role model to thousands of people they don't know and have never met?

"I feel like the whole of Australia should be ashamed for what happened with Adam Goodes" The whole of Oz ehh.. Liz, including those of us who supported him totally, including all of us in the indigenous community ?
I definitely feel like that is a fair interpretation of what she said.

Simply put, blacks account for 53% of violent criminals people convicted of violent crimes in the United States
Fixed that for you.

You also might want to consider why the whites who are shot never seem to make the news despite government stats showing that there are twice as many cases of them.
Couldn't possible be the police's tendency to actually make sure there's justification before shooting white people, could it? No, must be some massive media conspiracy instead, that makes much more sense.

If black lives truly mattered to Black Lives Matter they'd work on changing the fact that the most common cause of death for African Americans aged 15-40 is homicide, and the vast majority of those homicides are black on black.
Yes, and obviously centuries of oppression have absolutely nothing to do with that whatsoever.

Reply #592505 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Yes, and obviously centuries of oppression have absolutely nothing to do with that whatsoever."

So centuries of oppression is their excuse for shooting eachother at rates that are the envy of many warzones?

"Couldn't possible be the police's tendency to actually make sure there's justification before shooting white people, could it? No, must be some massive media conspiracy instead, that makes much more sense."

There have been justification for at least some of the police shootings that BLM moans about. Michael Brown, for instance, was shot for lunging a cop. I suppose he has centuries of oppression to blame for that, though?

" Simply put, blacks account for 53% of violent criminals people convicted of violent crimes in the United States

Fixed that for you."

Are you assuming a conspiracy to incarcerate black people for crimes they didn't commit? Maybe look back at the rates that blacks are killing themselves and eachother and consider it again.

" BLM might as well be a domestic terrorism organization.

Yes, a touch under 33% of the BLM movement is a domestic terrorism organisation.

In that it's mostly domestic, but neither terrorism nor an organisation."

Calling for death of cops, the snipering incident. Sure, it isn't a set organization but there is a certain amount of "by any means necessary" about the group that should be a concern, and would be instantly denounced if they were white.

Reply #592506 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So centuries of oppression is their excuse for shooting eachother at rates that are the envy of many warzones?
Centuries of oppression has negatively impacted their social and economic status, which affects the options open to them.

There have been justification for at least some of the police shootings that BLM moans about.
"At least some of".

I mean, if you don't see the problem with even your version of events here, there's something very wrong with you.

You know how many unjustified police shootings there should be? Zero. And yet even you, BLM skeptic, can't bring yourself to claim it's even as little as half of them.

Michael Brown, for instance, was shot for lunging a cop because the shooter said he lunged at him.
Fixed that for you.

Are you assuming a conspiracy to incarcerate black people for crimes they didn't commit?
I'm assuming racial biases that lead black people to be charged and convicted in situations where white people would be shown leniency, as well as harsher sentencing in the case of black convicts. Except 'assuming' is the wrong word, because there's plenty of evidence for it.

Calling for death of cops, the snipering incident.
Yes, and white people are a terrorism organisation because of the Oklahoma City bombing.

Reply #592509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm more interested in her little 'Ask BA why I really sat out last year' tidbit. Does she really think there's a broader BA conspiracy to silence her voice, rather than the mere issue of Lizzie skipping camp to attend a festival?

She's taking a break from the sport after the Olympics. Her Chinese team has already signed another foreign player in her place. I reckon we have about a month before Lizzie goes off on a rant, social media or otherwise, about BA.

Reply #592511 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Not going to bother explaining the aspects of socio economics, government policies, and more to you ME, as you're obviously a complete muppet as you've shown via your comments. Also, there is nothing debatable about the BLM movements necessity in America and the way police do their jobs, especially in majority black communities. I'd explain some first hand experiences, but you'd just create some excuse.

Kobe, I'm not saying she can't. I'm saying she should think smarter about how she goes about it. Would you rather get your message to 28k or 100k? It's called social media marketing, and marketing in general really. She should maybe talk to Patty about how he tackles the issues and addresses them, and subsequently has far more luck with it. Obviously though, that would require her taking some advice from somebody that isn't herself.

As for her "ask BA" comment, she already has came out and said the reason was due to them not being pleased with her having prior employment as a result of not being told they didn't have dates secured or something? Or is she saying that what she told everyone is a lie and she didn't tell the truth?

When she's taken a break, exiled herself from her national team, and subsequently a lot of professional organisations, will she have the reach to the population she currently and could have? Probably not. Then her words will be even less useful to any possible cause she will want to back. What a muppet

Reply #592513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for her "ask BA" comment, she already has came out and said the reason was due to them not being pleased with her having prior employment as a result of not being told they didn't have dates secured or something? Or is she saying that what she told everyone is a lie and she didn't tell the truth?"

Sure does sound like she's suggesting the real reason was not the reason released to the public...

Reply #592514 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

But didn't she give a reason to the public, and now she's going to retract that and say she lied, then say we should believe her new reason? Then she will get supper bitter when everyone calls her out for lying.

Reply #592515 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

ME, while it's true on purely a statistical basis BLM appears misdirected, it's not based on stats, it's based on incidents that have happened, been recorded, and shown police with blatant disregard towards black lives.

Now, given the stats it's quite possible this also happens to white victims of police shootings and we don't know about it, but with the lack of public evidence that is not the perception, and perception is very important in people's minds.

There is no doubt sad irony in the BLM campaign, with the black murder rate at a staggering 19/100K in the USA, and over 90% of those intraracial. It's a damning stat and shows that is where there is the lowest level of care for black lives.

However, outrage at killings by authority will always be far higher than those by the general public, and so it should be.

They are given the job of protecting the populace and while their job is dangerous, in some of these instances they weren't in danger and effectively murdered innocent people.

Reply #592517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, ME. Here we go.

Black on black crime is an issue, sure. But so is white on white crime. The rate a black person shoots a fellow black person is almost identical to the rate a white person shoots a fellow white person. Citizens shooting citizens is an issue, it's territorial, and we should work to fix it. But, that's a separate issue.

Police shooting individuals, unlawfully - and disproportionately black people - is not just crime; it's oppression. Unfortunately, there will always be murder, and it's always bad: whether it's a black person, white person, Asian, Hispanis, police officer, or coffee vendor being shot. It's bad.

Black people just don't want the government to murder them at a disproportional rate. That's the issue here, ME.

Now, let's please talk about basketball. This rhetoric really doesn't belong on here :)

Reply #592524 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The rate a black person shoots a fellow black person is almost identical to the rate a white person shoots a fellow white person."

If you're talking about the USA, the rate of black-on-black murder is roughly 8x more common than white-on-white murder.

Reply #592528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

The point is, crime is bad, regardless. We all agree on that.

Only one side, however, agrees that oppression is bad. The conservatives want small government, but are ok with the government murdering people... cool

Reply #592535 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The percentage of each total yes, the rate no. Getting the calculator out, black-on-black homicide happens at around nine times the rate of white-on-white in the USA (18 per 100K compared to 2.1 per 100K).

That's where BLM should be at its most relevant, however as I said in my post above, the murder of innocent civilians by authorities is also a massive concern, the publicly recorded incidents in the USA all seem to be black people and that is why the BLM movement has so much support.

ME is right when he says the stats show police shootings per race in the USA roughly correlate with violent crimes committed and arrests made, however this isn't about overall stats, this is about a series of individual shootings which just aren't right.

Reply #592537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Now, let's please talk about basketball. This rhetoric really doesn't belong on here :)"

This thread really isn't about basketball anyway.

Another way to use stats to make a point (or miss it entirely) is the number of blacks who are arrested for petty crimes (eg low level drug use/dealing) which can lead to resisting arrest/being shot at, however the number of whites using/selling drugs at a low level is higher. The fact they are targeted speaks to the ongoing issues about how blacks are treated by the police.

Reply #592556 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Elizabeth Cambage will confront fellow basketball star Andrew Bogut at the Olympics - and has told Fairfax Media she suspects he harbours some kind of issue with her – after an online spat that revisited the Opal's commitment to national duties."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/cambage-to-ask-bogut-what-is-your-issue-with-me-20160729-gqgzdk.html

Reply #592635 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

She's gonna have to ask a lot of other players too then, not just the one who's got enough balls to call her out in public, but I guess only she's allowed to publicly call people out and can't ever be on the receiving end

Reply #592636 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Just read the article. In what world is "better late than never" a way of educating somebody on anything? What world does she live in? Playing the victim and using media to get behind it.

Reply #592637 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Better late than never" was a sarcastic response to a sarcastic apology. These reports all seem to miss the part.

Neither of them help their cause with their tweets though. That's what made that recent exchange so cringeworthy to me - they both came out of it looking sillier IMO.

Reply #592639 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Well that escalated quickly.....to no one's surprise..

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/cambage-to-ask-bogut-what-is-your-issue-with-me-20160729-gqgzdk.html

Reply #592663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont condone much of what she has done in the past or even this SMH article but Bogut is entirely in the wrong here.

Reply #592672 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't think "better late than never" is all that sarcastic. She obviously though it was an actual apology, like the other people involved who shared it and so on

Reply #592680 | Report this post

eyeshutopen  
Years ago

Liz is well on her way to becoming the female version of Heritier Lumumba.

Reply #592683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754