Peter
Years ago

Jacobsen official & team arriving next 2 days

Boti is confirming Jacobsen signing now official, 36ers roster now complete and all players will be arriving over next few days.

The 36ers are young and may be inconsistent at times but should be very fast & fun to watch particularly in the open court. I'm still concerned they will get bullied in a half court game, although Randle may get a chance to be even better with some high quality shooters now there to open up the lanes for him

Hopefully Jacobsen gets a chance to bang bodies against the Knights, Marics, Bairstows and isn't in foul trouble by quarter time each week because he is the new kid on the block, because there isnt a lot of depth at that spot. I'm quietly confident he will be the workhorse we need and we will compete well this year. If anything, there should be a lot of highlights.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/sun-devil-eric-the-big-joins-adelaide-36ers-as-final-piece-of-201617-nbl-puzzle/news-story/7b5c5608f18f3bc0cae733bd430c9c63

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/eric-makes-three/

Topic #39668 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

I think the team is going to gel pretty well considering the fact the guys are all similar in age and will have a lot in common off court, and the guys already signed last year have been friends previously, add in the new guys who have some relationship in the past for the most part with the previous seasons players (minus new imports).

Our athletic ability is going to open up the court along with our shooting ability, which together is going to be hard for a lot of teams to defend. If we are shooting well, then we should offensively be one of the stronger teams. Our only issue could be defence, but I think we will be fine despite a potential lack of size.

Could this be our most entertaining team in the past decade or 2?

Reply #592417 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Oh the team will definitely be entertaining. I think they'll also be very competitive. We wont know just how competitive until we see them all on court. But it is worth paying admission.

Reply #592418 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the 6's have done a reasonable job on a limited budget. Remains to be seen how competitive they'll be, the league has certainly changed with MU and Sydney splashing around a lot of cash.

Reply #592419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Strange that it's not only Perth and NZ this season.
Maybe not the same snorefest as recent seasons.

Reply #592420 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Adelaide will be the most exciting team to watch. But I'm not sure how competitive they will be against the "powerhouses".

Interestingly Beal has been working out with 2kFerguson in the US - so probably giving in the low down on the league.

Reply #592440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can have your entertainment value, im really at a point where competing for titles is a thing im more interested in. Sick of being a massive under dog in any big time matchup, going to be a long season, if you're keen on winning and all.

Reply #592454 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

With Randle we will be in the finals mix however we need DJ to be his usual scoring self before he left for Europe to be contenders though.

Reply #592480 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Every match in the league will be worth watching this season.. soooo good.

Reply #592484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Randle will have so much of an impact as last season. I really hope he does and the 6ers get on a roll but I don't think that team is made to win this season. Which is a shame, because it's been a damn long time since Adelaide fans have been more than teased with some flash in the pan wins. Team has no true veteran leadership, and can see the young guys tubing out to joey and his yelling approach when things don't go to plan night in night out. Overall will be a great season lots of talent in the league!

Reply #592487 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

To the anon above, can guarantee you that Majok won't be tuning out any yelling from Joey. He's quite comfortable with that environment and coaching style.

I'm excited. The Sixers don't have the budget to sign big names like other teams, and we have a roster that can grow together.

Put our mind back ten years to the end of the Smyth era. Losing with a old team. It's the worst of both worlds, poor results and no hope for the future. We have hope for the future and can get results now.

You can't always been favourites on paper each year but A+ for recruitment based on the presumed budget.

Reply #592498 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The 36ers will be spending the least on their roster this season for sure. However the amount we will be able to spend will go up each year with luxury tax payments being made to the 36ers, Hawks and 'Pans. Melbourne Utd and Perth are lookin like being almost 500k over the $1.1m soft cap each and it is likely Sydney will be over too. The future is bright for the 36ers. This type of recruiting is smart for lower spending team.

Reply #592507 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

we have to actually keep the players for 3,4,5,6 years... That's almost an impossibility

Reply #592508 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Flash in the pan teams? We've been competitive now for a few seasons and made a finals appearance. Hardly flash in the pan.

To say you'd rather a competitive team rather than an entertaining team is all good and all, but no team is going to be entertaining and not competitive. After all, nobody is entertained by a perineal loser after all.

KET, apart from Ferguson, how many players do you think we can't kept for 2-3 years at least?

Reply #592512 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Drmic - 3yr deal
Deng - 3yr
Creek - 3yr
Sobey - 2yr

Reply #592516 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide's record over the past three seasons is 49-35 and 32-10 at home, along with GF and SF appearances. That's a little better than a flash in the pan. I suspect it will be tough for them this season with such a young team though.

Reply #592518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes flash on the pan, that record looks nice and all, but Adelaide had no chance in hell of actually winning the title and in fact was brutally humiliated. Last few years have all been an uphill battle.

Reply #592519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps flash in the pan isn't the right term to use here. But in all honesty as a die hard fan I never really felt the 36ers have been making up more than the numbers this past few seasons. Ervin was good but couldn't put together 3 minutes of decent play in Perth, bad import choices in the conplimentary roles etc etc. would just be nice to go into games as clear favourites and be feared, as opposed to be 'well they will be fun' they've been fun, they've had those flashy games with highlights and it doesn't amount to much more than frustration at seasons end.

Reply #592521 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree with that, a good team rather than a great one.

Reply #592522 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You are going to be disappointed more often that not if the only result at season's end that is not a fail is a championship.

Whilst that has to be the goal, only one team can win it (well, two it seems, based on recent years) and everyone else has been looking in from the outside to some extent.

Reply #592523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY, yes you are right to a degree. And all poassionate fans cant all have it their own way come seasons end. BUT Adelaide havent even looked remotely likely for years and years. And it probably starts to wear thin when fans pipe up about how the current coach has never missed the finals blah blah, like mediocre is adequate. The NBL is not a draft based league, there is no need to slowly build a contender over years and years, get the right guys in from the get go. We dont have to have all this youth and play the 76ers card of a slow build up.

Reply #592559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

New Zealand slowly built a contender, it can work, but their circumstances are different to other clubs.

Reply #592566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the Kiwis had a very tight knit nucleus and they bought in the right imports to bend in seamlessly. A team like Adelaide doesnt have that fortune to have the home grown guys want to stay... which almost makes the import choices so much more important. I loved Randle last season, I was absolutely on his nuts, BUT im not as sold now, if the $ amount means the other 2 are mediocre. But it is what it is, Adelaide will be fun to watch and most probably be in contention to make up the numbers in the playoffs for the majority of the season. But thats about it, and thats what has become common place and almost accepted as the norm. Thats a shame, because the 36er fans deserve better, they have seen some truly shit season unfold, and was hoping that with 1 legit import in the bag they wouldve pulled the trigger on one more stud and if need be not utilise the 3rd import.

Reply #592570 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

we haven't even seen the imports yet. one will be a lottery pick in the NBA. How can you already know they are mediocre?

Reply #592572 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Too hard to guess the ladder at seasons end this year..

My pick would be Melbourne, Perth, Syd, the rest to battle it out for 4th.

Reply #592573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave mediocre in the sense that previously neither has been known to put up massive numbers and take over a game. High school doesn't count ;) hopefully something good comes from this seasons imports I'm just doubtful. And have been for while, joey doesn't exactly have the magic touch with import choices that are unknowns previously to signing with Adelaide.

Reply #592608 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Keep in mind too Brandon Jennings really struggled in his first pro season in Italy right out of high school which is why not much should really be expected from Ferguson.

Reply #592610 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

KET, apart from Ferguson, how many players do you think we can't kept for 2-3 years at least?

My argument is we won't keep them for 3-6 years (ie, when they'll be strong and dominant), not 1-2 years.

Why won't we keep them? Either:

1. They'll go to Europe to ply their trade for $$$; or
2. They'll get snapped up by richer NBL teams for $$$

Reply #592660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754