Boomers down 44-29 after a quick start.

Topic #39676 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any other streams? That one doesn't work for me

Reply #592525 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Boomers are getting their asses handed to them.

It is very ugly.

Reply #592526 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Boomers have brought it back to 12 points at three quarter time 64-52 after it twice blew out to a 23 point lead.

Reply #592529 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Final score: Brazil 96-67 Australia

Reply #592530 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, a terrible 29 point loss. We looked incompetent on offense and impotent on defence.

I am glad these games mean nothing. Or were we supposed to be using them to get ready for an Olympics or something?

Baynes played terribly. Not too many others contributed. Mills was ok.

Reply #592531 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The only positive will be the much needed reality check it hopefully gives some posters here.
Other than that: ouch!

Reply #592533 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Getting killed 44-26 on the glass doesn't help. Baynes 6 rebounds, Goulding 4, nobody else with more than 3. Motum with zero in 18 minutes.

Motum and Baynes combining for 13 points on 5 of 20 shots is pretty brutal. Getting to the free throw line looks to be a problem in the 2 games so far.

Reply #592534 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

We have a problem at the 4 spot. I would love to see Broekhoff play there a bit more. I love the spacing of a Delly Mills Ingles Broekhoff Andersen lineup.

Motum isn't the answer at this stage.

Defensively we need to improve a lot - giving up 96 in an international game is not good. Cant keep the ball in front, rotations are slow and we are giving up too many open looks.

BUT its still early stages and the reason they play these practice games is to find out what the issues are and put measures in place to fix them. the positives are that in 2 games now they have come back from big margins so the fight is there.

Reply #592536 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is my take on the 4-spot. I'm not sure if it is right yet, Motum is OK against softer opponents, but anyone physical he doesn't appear up to it, and we do have a pretty physical group.

http://www.fiba.com/news/who-stole-brad-newleys-spot

Reply #592538 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Boomers certainly did not play like they believe their own hype. Brazil played like a team, we played like a bunch of individuals who have never played together.

They played simple but effective pick and rolls we couldn't defend to save ourselves and kicked out to wide open three point shooters whenever we collapsed the defence.

We played one-dimensional and very predicable four out jack up a defended three; pump the ball into the post only to get manhandled into terrible shots; or one on five iso ball when nothing else was working using players who grossly unsuited to it. Funnily we also tried to alley oop to Baynes about four times in the second half which was intercepted three times and where Baynes choked the fourth.

Reply #592539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly do anything this game?

Reply #592542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second very slow start resulting in a big deficit, be nice if that could be corrected

Reply #592545 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Delly hit a couple of threes (on 2-3 shooting) and 5 assists, but had more turnovers than assist from what I saw including a couple of those overly ambitious alley-oops.

Otherwise he was no better or worse than anyone else on the team - that is to say, terrible.

Reply #592553 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was not a slow star! Australia led early!!

Reply #592564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all that talent that wields in the team you have to consider the coaching and leadership on court. The structure for an International is vastly different to the NBL and NZBL..

Reply #592575 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Wow, a terrible 29 point loss. We looked incompetent on offense and impotent on defence.

I am glad these games mean nothing. Or were we supposed to be using them to get ready for an Olympics or something?

Baynes played terribly. Not too many others contributed. Mills was ok."

When Baynes cant manhandle his way to the bucket, he does a whole lot of brain farts. He should never have to make a decision with the ball. I pray Bogut does return because Baynes is not equipped to carry the load on his own inside.

"The only positive will be the much needed reality check it hopefully gives some posters here.
Other than that: ouch!"

I think the reality is that we were heavily beaten ina practice game where our NBA guys played only 20 minutes and where were missing Ingles and Bogut. We were also shown some weaknesses to fix. I can't say that the game was in any way particularly promising, but I wouldn't be denouncing the Boomers based on it. Certainly teams have smashed eachother in warm up games and things have been very different in the real tournament.

"etting killed 44-26 on the glass doesn't help. Baynes 6 rebounds, Goulding 4, nobody else with more than 3. Motum with zero in 18 minutes.

Motum and Baynes combining for 13 points on 5 of 20 shots is pretty brutal. Getting to the free throw line looks to be a problem in the 2 games so far."

You'd think boards would be fine with our line up. And I also think that both Argentina and Brazil got home cooking on calls. When someone like an Ingles takes the ball on the drive he is more likely to be fouled than lumbering Baynes or Motum.

"We played one-dimensional and very predicable four out jack up a defended three; pump the ball into the post only to get manhandled into terrible shots; or one on five iso ball when nothing else was working using players who grossly unsuited to it. Funnily we also tried to alley oop to Baynes about four times in the second half which was intercepted three times and where Baynes choked the fourth."

Delly will soon have to learn that Baynes is no Tristan Thompson.

"This is my take on the 4-spot. I'm not sure if it is right yet, Motum is OK against softer opponents, but anyone physical he doesn't appear up to it, and we do have a pretty physical group.

http://www.fiba.com/news/who-stole-brad-newleys-spot"

The more I see, the more evident it is that Brad Newley should be in this team. We have too many short guards who cant defend post up guys. I was supportive of taking Martin to the Olympics, but now I have seen the fruits of that, what was the point really? He rarely sees minutes and his defense is yet to shut anyone down at this level. I definitely think this team has a place for both Brad Newley, and Cam Gliddon because he's a guard with a little athleticism and length.

Reply #592580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can not even beat brazil , and many posters
here think we will win a medal in Rio ?
LOL

Reply #592581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was great to see that Broekhoff was still a beast on the boards though!!!!

Reply #592582 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think people think we're a shoe in. They think we have a chance. And we do have a chance despite this terrible game. All types of crazy shit happens in warm up matches. I believe the Boomers in 00 crushed teams in warm ups that went on to beat them. As for "Can't even beat Brazil", do you have any idea how good Brazil actually is?

Anyway, Bogut is 100% set to play at the games, which will be a boost and help plug at least some of the holes found in the warm up series.

http://pickandroll.com.au/sources-bogut-will-play-rio/

Reply #592583 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Funny how you didn't say shit when Broekhoff has 8 boards against Argentina, though...

Reply #592584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be 7 Einstein

Reply #592585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This keeps getting brought up: "we have all this talent so it must be the coach's fault". But do we actually have that much talent? Role players in the NBA, some solid contributors at good European clubs, but very few who are elite shot creators, shot makers, or ball handlers.

Reply #592589 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It is all going to come down to how they come together as a team. They have more talent and are deeper than half of the competition. We're hoping for a bit of luck and some gelling for the other half.

Reply #592590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah just not as much talent or deeper than Brazil....who you have never rated once.

Reply #592591 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

One of the many problems is they have had jack sh#t time to play and train as a team properly.. unlike other countries.

Don't know, maybe the 96 and 2000 played better because they all knew each others tendencies quite well from playing against each other in the NBL.

This team is a bit of a mix, plus injuries.

I reckon the 96 or 2000 Boomers teams could beat this team.

I'm only going from what I've seen and heard in the media, but I always think the time from when the proper team was announced til now seems like a very short time to get ready, especially for something like the Olympics.

Reply #592594 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well I have always been aware how strong they are.

Reply #592595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If 4 point averaging NBA bench player joe ingles is apparently our saviour than we really are in trouble

Reply #592599 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

You obviously don't know a lot about international basketball. Most of the NBA guys on other teams don't average much more than that. If you want to talk about his worth to this team, talk about his averages at world cup and Olympics. Or otherwise just shut the fuck up.

Reply #592601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great advice for yourself fuckwit

Reply #592603 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes it's a warm up game but it's a warm up game for them too. They didn't have Varejao and Barbosa barely played. Brazil aren't a legit medalist and getting destroyed by 30 should send alarm bells ringing. Baynes was very disappointing inside he looked like Aleks Maric today going up all soft and with no lift.

We can't afford to feel our way into the group stage games you have to hit the ground running especially being in such a strong group.

How many warm-up game do we have left two? We need at least 1-2 more than that.

Reply #592611 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah I felt like slapping him a few time when he missed those sitters. Thankfully Bogut is in, and he is a upgrade on Baynes even at 70%.

Reply #592612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, no use papering over the cracks by uttering
some lame excuses ~ Brasil is strong team, other nations have average nba role players like Australia, this warm up game means nothing. These are pathetic excuses. Would love to hear your lame excuses when we got wolloped in the Olympics. The boomers were terrible against Brazil, an average basketball team !

Reply #592633 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This will be the last time I respond to you, so soak it up.

* Brazil IS a strong team.

* It IS a warm up game (ask Boti Nagy how much stock he puts into those)

* Other teams DO only have NBA role players save for Spain (who has one or two aging stars) and France (who were almost beaten by the Philippines and Tall Blacks) and obviously the USA. Name an NBA STAR that doesn't play for one of those three teams.

* As for excuses during the Olympics, there will be none. The Olympics are the time to show and prove. If they don't, I will place blame where it belongs. But I am not going to spend all this time hating on a team that I gladly support just because they might not go as far as I'd like.

I am all for open discussions and people disagreeing, but it seems you want to hate for the sake of it. Rather than cite evidence that suggests our medal hopes of wayward and doing so in an informed way, you'd rather just hammer on with the same ol "Delly sucks" and "NBA role player" crap which proves you don't know anything about the international game. You sound like a right asswipe festering in the misfortune of your countrymen. You really are tall poppy syndrome personified.

Didn't hear a squeak from you after we beat Argentina I noticed. And I also noticed how little you understood about how FIBA rankings work and how they relate to each current team - eg, Argentina being ranked 4th.

Done. Ended. Say what you want, I am not going to play along with your juvenile garbage.

Reply #592643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any replay of the game?

Reply #592646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Joe Ingles hater needs to only look at the 2014 world cup game against Lithuania to see how important he is. He was close to our best player in London also.

Reply #592648 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Don't you have to do something before people can have "tall poppy syndrome" aka being realistic

Reply #592649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy how one game two years ago means he's a valuable star for us
Such low standards

Reply #592650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah his career trajectory since London would indicate that his game has only regressed over the last 2 years.

Reply #592651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm

9 points 3 rebounds 3 assists in 23 minutes in 30 games (13 starts) in euroleague 2014
Since then 4.6/2/1.7 in 18 minutes in 160 games (34 starts) in the NBA with noticeably worse shooting percentages

I guess he has regressed

Reply #592652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you consider his "career trajectory" of coming off the bench in Europe to now sitting on the bench longer in the US to be an improvement

Reply #592653 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754