Zodiac
Years ago

Lithuania vs Boomers tonight

The Boomers next warm up game is against Lithuania starting 1am EST July 31.

Topic #39685 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It will be on the same channel that attempted to show the game the first time around. And it will be 12:30 am Adelaide time.

Reply #592675 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Here's that link http://www.lrt.lt/mediateka/tiesiogiai/lrt-televizija

Reply #592678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, it's working, but it's not showing the basketball :(

Reply #592706 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Live stats
http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/CBB/305673/index_en_AU.html

Reply #592707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like the World Cup in 2014, offense has absolutely no purpose and no team identity. God I hate you lemanis wasting away the most talented pool we've ever had, someone in Basketball Australia needs to get fired for hiring this clown

Reply #592708 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

Alright finally!
I didn't realise you needed to login to post.
Heres a link to a working stream. Took me a while to find one.

http://www.sportas.lt/naujiena/209880/pasiruosimas-rio-lietuva-australija-gyvai

Its half time now though. So just ads and crap playing

Reply #592709 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Terrible first half. They're struggling to defend pick and roll and to get out to three point shooters. Ingles offense has bailed them out a few times while Mills makes stupid decisions with the ball and everyone else seems lethargic and lazy. It is a godsend we're in this game right now. We can't afford to play like this in the Olympics, and the real issues right now are the effort areas. If they started to bust their asses I have no doubt they could close the gap. But it just seems the hunger isn't there right now.

Reply #592710 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Also can't afford sluggish starts in the Olympics. The game does look like they're not putting much effort into it. But they don't have much time left before they have to play with Olympic level intensity. Lemanis needs to stop being so relaxed and actually get in their faces.

Reply #592711 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

There are a few suspect calls but we won't have any favours at rio. We need to be able to play through it and still find the win. Were still not looking like a team. need to find some consistency and rhythm.

Reply #592712 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's been woeful. This game has justified everything haters have been saying. They're unable to even do the simple things right. Too many small guards that are abused in the post too easy. Intensity is simply not there. The Boomers should be ashamed of this game right now. If they continue to play like this they might not even make the quarter finals. It is time to find the fire. All the trips to Uluru wont mean a thing if they can't box out and do the simple things.

Reply #592713 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

What happened to the Bangers free throws. He's not making any. I hope he's not taking lessons from Drummond.

Reply #592714 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He's just a clown. He does more stupid crap than anything of worth. Bogut cant come back quick enough

Reply #592715 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

Calm down big fella. He's been playing some pretty good D. Not having a good offensive night but no one is shooting too well. Maybe its those frilly nets that are throwing them off. lol

Reply #592716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll say this much. If bogut is healthy he'll be huge for this team (as obvious as it sounds). No one can defend pick n roll, bogut will be huge in that area. And offense his smarts and size will hopefully start to give some meaning and stability to this absolute mess lemanis has concocted

Reply #592717 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well my beef shouldn't be with him, it should be with the coach. We have a bunch of small guards who cant trouble three point shooters.

Reply #592718 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

that was a little woeful. We're a team that are still finding themselves. It may be too late to make a real run at a medal. Other teams look set, like they know what to run and who to hit for the shot. Were still trying to come together. Hopefully they can work it out.
I loved that they got Goulding going at the end. he is one Player who can really blow a game open. Mills could probably shoot a little more, and Slow Mo Joe does what he does every time on the floor. I love his game.
Cant wait to see bogut back in the line up. Some decent passes from a big man can change so much.
All our other bigs although strong inside are a little undersized. Maybe Anderson needs a few more touches. The dude has some moves inside with that shot.

I hope we can get it together because at this point we have the potential but it will remain unrealised if Lemanis can't get the team working as a unit.

Reply #592719 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Also happy about Goulding. He deserves minutes as one of the few guys on the team with the audacity to throw away the script and try something.

Reply #592720 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think Lemanis is a very good coach. None of those fairy godmothers are. Someone needs to get a bit aggressive when the team is playing like this is Sunday social league.

The Boomers lacked energy. They were flat. It felt like the Lithuanians had an answer to everything they threw at them. And part of me thinks Australia didn't actually try to get out of first gear. That is a bad habit to get into so close to the tournament. You need to play every game from hereon like it means something.

As far as I could see, we allowed too many open threes. We had no answer to the pick and roll. We struggled to box out for rebounds. We couldn't hit open shots, and Patty Mills made some idiotic decisions with the ball in his hands. If we could have connected on a respectable amount of our open shots we probably would have won despite all the defensive leaks in the boat.

Ingles and Goulding were actually the only shining lights in this. I believe Goulding hit all of his shots, and showed that he isn't going to be overawed by the competition, whereas almost everyone else looks like they were living groundhog day since Friday morning's blow out.

It is easy to say that Australia is being shown up for lacking length and athleticism, but this is largely the same team that obliterated Lithuania at the world cup. The only big difference in personnel is Brad Newley. I am hopeful that the Boomers were trying out specific plays and that this wasn't a genuine game played solely to get a win. If winning was the first priority in this game then there is much to fear for this team. They should probably stop talking about medals and concentrate on the simple things like, I don't know, bothering to box out rebounders?

The Boomers had a great second half against Argentina where they actually busted their asses. If they're going to get anywhere, they have to play like that second half in every single game. They can't have these sleepwalking spells against top teams or they will get smashed. The Boomers must hang their hats on all of the effort areas if they want to do something unexpected this year, and right now, I am just not seeing it. And I am not sure that just bringing Andrew Bogut in can fix that.

Andrej Lemanis, Boomers, get your shit together.

Reply #592721 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah it was certainly disappointing. For mine the decision to leave out Newley is telling. Martin just seems superfluous where as Newley would give us a bigger wing. I'd like to see Broekhoff and Ingles spend some time on the floor together either in a small ball line up or at the 2 and 3 but without other big wings this is a bit risky.

Was hard to tell what they were trying to do defensively. We gave up open 3s as well as easy dunks and offensive rebounds. Not really much went well.

Baynes got himself into some great positions and then couldn't finish.

No doubt this team has talent. It's just hard to see them putting it all together in time, especially considering the two most important games are up first.

Reply #592723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this just proving the Vickerman really was behind the brains of NZ and that there really was a tanking last time round. Should have learnt from last time, there was enoughh chatter to change the coaching up so perhaps the not so expert fans were right. Agree on the Newly thing and much more... Disappointing... Knew it wasn't good when I woke to an undereporting of the loss. Deliberately didn't watch due to frustration from the first announcement of the coaching group to now, just knew it was not going to be pretty..

Reply #592726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This forum needs a "MutE" button.

Reply #592730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So telling the truth makes you a hater these days

We have zero chance of doing anything these Olympics

MEs 1000 word rebuttal coming in 3, 2, 1...

Reply #592731 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Y'all know it's a pre-Olympic warm-up game, right?

Priority 1: Don't get injured.
Priority 2: Don't give your future opponents too much to scout.
Priority 3: Don't get injured.
Priority 4: Try out things that may or may not work, better to find out now than in the actual tournament.
Priority 5: Don't get injured.

Notice that 'win' isn't actually on that list.

Reply #592733 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not going to bother with a long rebuttal. But Wortho did Tweet this:

"The Boomers won't be showing all there stuff at the moment. The pre Olympic Games are a little cat and mouse. These results mean nothing"

As he has been there and done that, he would surely know. Having said that, after watching the game it is hard to know exactly what things they were trying out and tinkering with. Whatever it was, none of it worked.

Reply #592734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MEs alternate account located

If that was true why did they come back from 20+ against Argentina instead of giving the end of bench guys playing time?

Reply #592735 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Interesting to see Boti apparently talking down the Boomers' Olympic prospects after the loss to Brazil. It'll be interesting to read what he has to say after this loss against Lithuania. In saying this, I note that he's been attempting to moderate expectations for the last couple of months, criticising the use of the 'best Australian team ever' in several of his blogs.

Leading up to the 2014 World Cup, the Boomers beat France by 2 and a week later lost by 23. It's hard to read pre-tournament results, given teams are often settling and adjusting their line-ups and game plans.

That said, the Boomers have been unable to keep anyone below 18 points for a quarter and have had at least one quarter in every game where they themselves scored 12 or less. That doesn't reflect well on reasons for the Newley omission.

We now expect that Bogut will come into the team, most likely into the starting line-up. When he does, that'll probably help somewhat on defence, straight away. However, the Boomers won't have any playing time with Bogut in the line-up before the Olympic tournament. That may affect how quickly the team can improve its match play and results.

I suspect France will be happy they have Australia first up at the Olympics. I also suspect there'll be no risk of talk about Australia tanking at this tournament!

Reply #592736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the boomers have been a bit over hyped because they have a lot of NBA players but they are all role player types. Whereas Spain and France might have a similar volume of NBA players but theirs are stars like Parker gasol batum et al

Reply #592737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gobert too

Reply #592738 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"MEs alternate account located

If that was true why did they come back from 20+ against Argentina instead of giving the end of bench guys playing time?"

Could have been trying out different things in different games. They didn't seem to put the cue in the rack for Argentina but they did very early against the other teams even with similar deficits. It is worth noting that the Boomers rarely used their full court press in these warm ups and that's meant to be their trademark.

"
Leading up to the 2014 World Cup, the Boomers beat France by 2 and a week later lost by 23. It's hard to read pre-tournament results, given teams are often settling and adjusting their line-ups and game plans.

That said, the Boomers have been unable to keep anyone below 18 points for a quarter and have had at least one quarter in every game where they themselves scored 12 or less. That doesn't reflect well on reasons for the Newley omission.

We now expect that Bogut will come into the team, most likely into the starting line-up. When he does, that'll probably help somewhat on defence, straight away. However, the Boomers won't have any playing time with Bogut in the line-up before the Olympic tournament. That may affect how quickly the team can improve its match play and results.

I suspect France will be happy they have Australia first up at the Olympics. I also suspect there'll be no risk of talk about Australia tanking at this tournament!"

Other results to take note of in the warm ups are Croatia beating France (we know Croatia isn't better than France) and Lithuania beating Spain (same applies).

Reply #592739 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Y'all know it's a pre-Olympic warm-up game, right?

Priority 1: Don't get injured.
Priority 2: Don't give your future opponents too much to scout.
Priority 3: Don't get injured.
Priority 4: Try out things that may or may not work, better to find out now than in the actual tournament.
Priority 5: Don't get injured.

Notice that 'win' isn't actually on that list."

Bingo. But I am sure they'd like to be in winning form coming into Rio. With a game against China to come, hopefully they can shake off some cobwebs and Patty can find his goggles.

Reply #592740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BUT WE HAVE MORE NBA PLAYERS THAN LITHUANIA!! WHY DIDN'T WE BEAT THEM :(

Reply #592742 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lithuania are better than us at basketball, always have been. It's their national sport.

I didn't see the game but followed on live scores and we were never in it. I agree with Wortho in that the end result doesn't matter which by definition is always true in exhibition/friendly/warm up games but what goes on within that game does matter to varying degrees.

Bogut can't come back soon enough we're too soft inside and it seems a bit like Maric's ways are starting to rub off on Baynes. A centre of any note let alone an NBA player should be ashamed of his last two performances.

There is just not enough offence on this team and won't go on about the Lemon-iss decision to leave out Newley but it looks more idiotic by the day. Too much is left to Patty especially when Baynes can't make layups. Glad to see Ingles back and contributing well because Broekhoff just doesn't have enough fire in him. Goulding should be getting more minutes than him he'll jack them up and with his athleticism makes him a less robotic match up.

Motum appears to have gotten injured hopefully nothing serious but we could do with a bit more out of Bairstow and Andersen especially on the boards.

Reply #592744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Bogut can't come back soon enough we're too soft inside and it seems a bit like Maric's ways are starting to rub off on Baynes. A centre of any note let alone an NBA player should be ashamed of his last two performances."

Can't agree more. You can't be missing sitters against good teams. I have wanted to punch him in the last few games but I know if I tried he could crush me with little effort.

"There is just not enough offence on this team and won't go on about the Lemon-iss decision to leave out Newley but it looks more idiotic by the day. Too much is left to Patty especially when Baynes can't make layups. Glad to see Ingles back and contributing well because Broekhoff just doesn't have enough fire in him. Goulding should be getting more minutes than him he'll jack them up and with his athleticism makes him a less robotic match up. "

Totally agreed. Goulding should get atleast 10-15 minutes a game. He's impressed in the minutes he's had.

"Motum appears to have gotten injured hopefully nothing serious but we could do with a bit more out of Bairstow and Andersen especially on the boards."

They appear unable to box out. Now I know that they are trying things out but you'd think Lemanis would still want them to execute the bare basics.

Reply #592746 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exactly "fellas don't worry about boxing out tonight" doesn't strike me as a would be instruction from the coach.

Reply #592747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as the Olympics is over, please get rid of the bloody useless coach. Bring back Brett Brown or Brian Goorjian. Also build the team around youngsters like
Simmons, exum, Thon maker, bolden , adel, humphries, Matur Maker. Then the boomers might medal in 2020 olympics .

Reply #592748 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Bevo has always been the right man for the job.

Reply #592749 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not ready to write off this Olympic campaign just yet - it hasn't even started - but there's definitely some issues about team balance due to some of Lemanis' choices. I am hoping that he has been playing 'cat and mouse' as Wortho said and that the second half against Argentina is closer to what we'll be seeing from the team, rather than the second half to Brazil.

As for new coach and new players, that is inevitable for this team. Lemanis is moving on to Brisbane right after this and I am sure a few of the guys on this team will retire from International basketball. Those who want Ben Simmons and Thon Maker will have their wish in 2019.

Tonight we take on China. I hope we stop pussy footing around and treat this like a real game, seeing as we're less than a week away from Olympic tip off. A breakout game against China could do a lot for this team.

Reply #592750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754