Dazz
Years ago

Are these NBL changes sustainable?

Sustainability.
That one word that has always threatened the NBL.
We've seen a couple of teams lurch from season to season, and now Townsville has folded.

I've always argued that an NBL franchise needs backers with deep pockets, to at least carry the team when things get rough.

I know that many people will extol the virtues of adding so much talent to the NBL, bringing back ex-Europe-based Aussies, and a better class of imports. But is that enough?
To me, the Golden age of NBL was when your best imports were earning $50k. The league was plenty exciting back then.

So the question is, will all this extra spending result in greater revenue?
More bums on seats, or increased tv or sponsorship revenue?
Looking at the Wildcats, its hard to foresee any increase. So maybe that brings them back to the pack a little, which can only be a good thing. But what of the other teams.

Now the problem with this discussion, is that it invariably brings out those who consider themselves the "Basketball Purists." Firstly those who claim that they want to see a higher calibre of Boomers and Imports playing. Fine, but are you now going to contribute more money to the NBL?
Secondly those claim that fans just want to watch "exciting basketball." There's no denying that a large portion of fans just want to see their team win. So unbalancing the league is not a good thing, nomatter how exciting. Besides, who's to say that $1.5M make the game look any better than $1M?
The ultimate irony for those wanting "excitement", considering the sourcing of many of our players, is that the extra money may well see a net increase in defensive ability.

I'd love to see the championships spread around. Getting Cairns and Wollongong back into the finals and winning would be a boon for the league, as would even Adelaide and potential returnees. But all I see with these changes is the opportunity for Sydney and MU to buy championships.
And yes, Perth certainly has the pockets to respond in kind, there's no doubt our recent wins cost a fair bit of coin.
But my question remains, is this sustainable?

Topic #39692 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The current approach all hinges on getting a TV audience big enough to send money back to the clubs. It's a risky plan but they're making progress on two fronts at least - presenting it well, and boosting the talent levels.

But if not enough people watch, then it's going to make for an expensive experiment. I'd guess Larry is throwing away a lot of money on this.

Taking a road more dependent on the stronger fans and less on the whims of TV networks or general public would've been the approach I took.

Reply #592826 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I agree. Television ratings are the life blood of any sport

Reply #592830 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I was going to make a big post analysing the first year of the LK era and all various aspects of the NBL. I still might do it, but it'd be quite time consuming.

I'll say this though:

The NBL a touch over 12 months ago had about 3 "sponsors" - a TV network who didn't even want to be there (Ten), a physical basketball sponsor (Spalding) and a clothing provider (ISC). It had Adelaide on the edge of financial issues, it had Wollongong and Townsville both in genuine financial trouble.

NBL had a very consistent history of mismanagement, teams folding, no marketing plan, whatever reach it had was seriously underutilised.

What happens? Nobody wants to show that on TV and nobody wants to sponsor it and nobody wants to invest because it's a crappy unpopular product that not enough people care about (save for the player talent which was adequate and small core base of supporters). If you've got money and you're a business person - why would you put money into that product? You wouldn't. Hence the issues.

Effectivey, it becomes an unsustainable product in its virtual entirety and a catch-22 for attempting a circuit breaker and trying to improve it.

But then, LK comes along, believes there's potential, pours money in and *takes control* so that at least he can attempt to make the most out of his investment and its not subject to the incompetence of others.

This is where the ripple effect starts to come in. It seems clear that LK has focused on pouring money into ensuring.. at least short term:
1. Financial stability for the core capital city teams
2. Introduction of a major market (Brisbane)
3. A fully fledged marketing plan including TV ads, radio, newspaper, billboards, community outreach programs
4. Luring greater and international talent to Australia that might draw crowds - improving NBL's coverage and legitimacy.

Given this, it gives sponsors reason to put money into a surging and currently undervalued product with a confidence of stability and good management for at least 2-3 years.

LK, for his efforts appears to be making short term sponsorship deals with the intent on continuing partnerships to ensure he maximises the value of contracts - effectively backing his ability to improve each year, while sponsors see it as security that they can back out if things don't go so well. Suddenly it becomes an attractive risk/investment for businesses.

Now we've got Chemist Warehouse, Telstra, Swisse, Virgin, Ladbrokes, Westpac, AHG, Europcar, Hoyts, helloworld to go along with suppliers mitchell & ness, wilson, champion, mcdavid/shock doctor, alcatel and LK's own newsmodo & cmsaustralasia. Those are some well known brands, and that gives added confidence to the product knowing these businesses are willing to associate themselves with the NBL.

Then ofcourse, when you've got stability, marketing, sponsors willing to invest in the product (not necessarily purely monetarily), it gives broadcasters a reason to want the product as well - so now we've got Fox Sports, and had Channel 9. This has a ripple effect of giving added value to the sponsors - this is a good version of catch-22, broadcaster confidence means more sponsors, more sponsors means broadcaster confidence.

When you've got increased cashflow, sponsors and broadcasting you see greater ability to reach more people and get them immersed into the product, greater crowds etc. This makes it easier for teams to have bigger crowds, greater marketing reach and more sponsors, allows for better players which again draws more sponsorship and crowd (another happy catch-22) which in turn gives more stability, potential and confidence, giving reason for people to invest into teams as owners. This is where we see a bit more stability in Adelaide and Illawarra because they're more capable of finding more owners/investors and more sponsors.

This is what really does create the sustainability. The overall plan and idea is a good one, and it's a direction that does espouse confidence.

Now, the issue then becomes:

1. Is the maximum potential of places like Illawarra and Cairns capable of being sustainable given the increase expenditure of bigger market/bigger money clubs?
- Is the population big enough to have the crowds required to be a successful club in a big city league in 3,4,5,6 years time etc.
- Is there enough sponsorship dollar required to be a successful club in a big city league in 3,4,5,6 years time etc.

Cairns are doing well now, but they might wilt as the talent and player salaries increase, requiring them to do the same just to remain competitive. If you're noncompetitive for a long period, that can take a serious hit to sponsorship dollar and memberships and investor confidence.

What's our end game in this respect? Have 2 more clubs go bust?

2. Is the pace at which we are going sustainable?
The LK era does have a bit of 0-100 in rapid speed effect to it. It's understandable in many respects as outlined above.

It's great that we have a few clubs who can spend big, but if that creates a huge disparity, the weaker clubs may wilt quickly and that hurts the league entirely. It's one thing to see a dead-man walking Townsville fold, it's another to see Illawarra, Cairns & Adelaide fall over quickly. This will occur if we aren't careful about it.

On the other hand, having clubs like Sydney, MU, NZ, Perth investing big in the league and bringing in talent does help the lower clubs.

Over the next year or two, the disparity is acceptable if those big teams are subsidising the lower teams and assisting in lifting the overall standard of the talent. However, that's not a sustainable long term direction and the league will need to ensure each team in the league is capable of...
1. Long term financial stability (we can't have any more teams folding - Townsville has to be the last, there needs to be a line in the sand)
2. Capable of spending similar amounts on players and attracting similar level talent.

In the mean time, Adelaide's approach for lack of big spending is a good one - get young exciting talent who could dominate in the future. This is acceptable this year and maybe next year, but if Adelaide is constantly the team with potential without actually ever having the money to keep players and become successful, it will ultimately struggle and become noncompetitive and unsustainable and it will become a product nobody will confidently invest in. This goes for the other sides too.

Ultimately the big spending approach has real upside to it in terms of cash flow, confidence and increasing sustainability. However, there's a fine line between that, and the over expenditure causing disparity, struggle, instability and the league to wilt over its own weight. It becomes a question of direction, pragmatism and good judgment with a little bit of this, a little bit of that approach.

We can't always hold back to the lowest denominator to become sustainable, that slows any potential or growth and in the end diminishes sustainability. We also can't go 0-100 in seeking growth, increased standards and rapid expenditure because that will lead half of the league over a cliff and ruin sustainability as well.

Reply #592833 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Great post.

We need ALOT more people watching games live on Fox Sports though.

The ratings last year were quite poor. Any broadcaster will only put up with that for so long

Reply #592836 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Marketing, media exposure, grass roots connections, all need to continue to improve at every NBL franchise. At the same time the LK plan and introducing name players coming back from US, Europe and college will keep the fans interest and stability/sustainability can be generated with the current amount of teams.

Once we start to see our media adopt and talk about the NBL as more of a regular and main sport, at least to the level of Netball and Soccer, then we can start talking expansion IMHO, not before...

Reply #592841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, great analysis. Really explains the importance of the LK involvement thus far. Many people are quick to judge and want instant results and don't realise how much better the product has already become.

Personally, I believe the next step is improving the league's digital impact. Highlight packages were much much improved this past year but they could be much better. There MUST be a streaming product of high quality, both on demand and live and accessible on every platform, not just mobile/tablet. The website is good, but not great yet either.

Reply #592843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on was that the short version then?

Reply #592848 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dazz went 300+ words and didn't use all CAPITALS in one word! I say that's some serious progress!

I don't know if it's sustainable tho...

Reply #592849 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There MUST be a streaming product of high quality, both on demand and live and accessible on every platform, not just mobile/tablet.
You can probably have one if, in exchange, you give up the Fox Sports deal.

And all the sponsorship revenue.

And pay for it.

Reply #592850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would happily pay 100+ for a season of a streaming product of high quality.

Reply #592853 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Unless that's in thousands, it's not going to work out.

Reply #592860 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"To me, the Golden age of NBL was when your best imports were earning $50k. The league was plenty exciting back then."

... And then a thing called inflation happened.

"So the question is, will all this extra spending result in greater revenue?
More bums on seats, or increased tv or sponsorship revenue?
Looking at the Wildcats, its hard to foresee any increase. So maybe that brings them back to the pack a little, which can only be a good thing. But what of the other teams."

Pretty sure Wildcats profit around a million a year.

"Now the problem with this discussion, is that it invariably brings out those who consider themselves the "Basketball Purists." Firstly those who claim that they want to see a higher calibre of Boomers and Imports playing. Fine, but are you now going to contribute more money to the NBL?"

Yes, I had planned to. So have a number of people that I know. They saw Jerome back and they saw the Terrance Ferguson mixtapes and they want in.

" But all I see with these changes is the opportunity for Sydney and MU to buy championships.
And yes, Perth certainly has the pockets to respond in kind, there's no doubt our recent wins cost a fair bit of coin.
But my question remains, is this sustainable?"

Yes I think it is. There is a pot made for struggling teams which will come from a percentage of profit and player salaries that the rich teams accrue and spend. It is something of a trickle down affect. This is sustainable for as long as Kestleman wants it to be. Although he's only signed on for 3 years, you can tell by the plans he has that he is open for more. If he wants more they should damn well give it to him.

"The current approach all hinges on getting a TV audience big enough to send money back to the clubs. It's a risky plan but they're making progress on two fronts at least - presenting it well, and boosting the talent levels.

But if not enough people watch, then it's going to make for an expensive experiment. I'd guess Larry is throwing away a lot of money on this.

Taking a road more dependent on the stronger fans and less on the whims of TV networks or general public would've been the approach I took."

That TV audience wont be just in Australia. You can guarantee that Kestleman is pursuing TV arrangements with China. If you market an app to them for $5 you could end up with $5 million dollars off of that alone, especially if we keep involving CHina in games.

Reply #592861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

t"To me, the Golden age of NBL was when your best imports were earning $50k. The league was plenty exciting back then."

... And then a thing called inflation happened.

No. Then the players got greedy.....

Now we have and NBL forced greed on behalf of players.
3 Imports no effective cap, a marquee player and the bottom 5 players getting paid $400k between them.
The rich will het richer and the weaker clubs fall away.
Same as it back in the day.

Reply #592866 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We need ALOT more people watching games live on Fox Sports though.

That's up to Foxtel. If they want people to watch they'll lower their prices. If they want to keep charging a minimum of $50 a month to watch the NBL that's their problem.

The ratings last year were quite poor. Any broadcaster will only put up with that for so long

The Rupert Murdoch model is more on hoarding content rather than ratings. They would care more about getting the NBL for free than the ratings. They've got x amount of Fox Sports channels they need to fill, have to fill with something doesn't matter if it's darts, hot dog eating contests or dwarf tossing they have to fill it.

Reply #592867 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"That's up to Foxtel. If they want people to watch they'll lower their prices. If they want to keep charging a minimum of $50 a month to watch the NBL that's their problem"

I don't agree at all.

The ratings for AFL, NRL, even A League are all pretty darn good.

People want to watch it, they'll pay for it (as evidence by the ratings)

Reply #592873 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

^On Foxtel I meant^

Reply #592874 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Just looking at the 36ers player arrivals at the airport. Top news channels all present (7,9,10) I feel a real buzz around the league this year. The success of the Aussies in the NBA will always help with the NBL most people wont have the opportunity to head to america to watch the NBA so thats were the NBL can offer the best product. Hopefully some real quality imports can be signed and people will start taking even more notice. Its going to take years to build up to ratings and crowds that are ideal but its definitely on the rise and i believe it will get there. LK is a very a good businessman and i doubt he would be investing lots of money into something that was going to fail.

Reply #592881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LK is a very a good businessman and i doubt he would be investing lots of money into something that was going to fail."

I guess that's why the smart businessman has agreed to do it for 3 seasons initially. THat's smart.

Reply #592882 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Foxtel agreed to show every game again this year. They don't seem to be on the verge of dropping coverage just yet.

Reply #592883 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I still don't understand the assertion that spending more money equals more excitement and hype?

At the end of the day, so-called "News" is about feeding people stories they're interested in. If people don't demonstrate a renewed interest, then the media will drop away again.

Reply #592885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has thrown millions of dollars at the league, he has signed some decent long-term big name sponsors, has encouraged the clubs to "spend money to make money", we have seemingly more top-level returning Aussies than ever before, the talent pool of imports is getting better each year and the crowds are returning in greater numbers which hasn't happened since the mid-90's, yet somehow he forgot to sort out the Light vs Dark uniform fiasco which is ruining basketball in this country!

Reply #592886 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Dazz, your kind of demonstrating a chicken or the egg theory there I feel.

There is public interest, there is an increasing crowd participation and increasing interest in all manner of NBL news and social media, however other forms of media need to get on board with it in general terms.

Do you recall the international cricket match earlier this year from Dubai, Australia were playing in front of a Sheik and his camel in the crowd, no one else, yet because Packer loves cricket it was still televised live...

The point is that our general media platforms need to get on board with the other world game and recognise it as such!

Reply #592917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754