Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats third import - Jameel McKay

Iowa state big man

What do we know about him?

Topic #39699 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Rebounder and shotblocker who knows how to get the fans involved, exactly what the Wildcats need in that spot.

Reply #592914 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth are going to be high-octane at both ends this season, they have great pieces in place to press and then run-and-gun, will be interesting to see how they go in half-court grinds though, which have been their strength.

Reply #592915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You familiar with him Paul?

Charles Jackson 2.0?

Reply #592918 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

With this signing the Wildcats will be a run stun and have some fun team this season!!!

Reply #592920 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Charles Jackson is a decent comparison. Probably a bit better defensively than Charles, assuming college form translates to the pros.

Reply #592923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a 36er fan, I'd like to know what this guy is being paid compared to Jacobsen. Because if it's similar and he is better, then stuff that. Perth will be legit again, by looks of it.

Reply #592924 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/0Xj2q9TVBso

Reply #592926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A little confused by the signing, I think more because I was expecting a bit of a low post banger to replace Jawaii rather than a rim runner. Absolutely trust the cats and their scouting though, so he should be legit. Does seem to be in the 8 points 8rpg mold of player.

Reply #592928 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Import shot blocker in the NBL usually translates to instant foul trouble.

Reply #592931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source please?

Reply #592937 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Import shot blocker in the NBL usually translates to instant foul trouble."

That's what I was thinking too, and especially seeing in that YouTube video how skinny he is.
Yikes. Looks like Knight is going to need to do most of the heavy work this season, which is not ideal.
Hopefully McKay can stay on the court long enough to give us some of those highlights.

Reply #592941 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone got a source?

Seems like a weird signing? Quite small compared to what we're seeing from other teams this season?

Reply #592946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget we have Brandt too. What this signing tells you it's that he will have a decent role as the bigger centre. Gleeson will deploy based on matchups

Reply #592947 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

ShowTime ✨ followed Perth Wildcats

Reply #592948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The source is straight from the top. I was encouraged not to say anything but I couldn't contain myself, sorry

To be fair McKay is following the wildcats on Twitter and said something about a deal so the dots are there to connect

Reply #592949 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Given his build and (judging by college stats) lack of a jumper, I wonder why the Cats went with McKay over, say, Gladness? I guess money was probably a factor. I wouldn't be surprised to see McKay coming off the bench behind Brandt to be honest, I think he's better than most Perth fans realise.

Reply #592950 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the signing. In Brandt there's bulk, same with Knight at the 4/5, McKay gives athleticism at either spot. Then Wagstaff and Redhage are stretch 4s while Prather can even spend some time there.

Defensively McKay is a good match with the athletic wings and pressure PGs, but if he's having trouble in the half-court there isnt a C in the NBL Knight can't step in and guard.

By the look of their roster, the Wildcats are going to be avoiding the half-court as much as possible!

Reply #592951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://whotv.com/2016/02/06/jameel-mckay-apologizes-steve-prohm-addresses-suspension/

Potential maturity problems? Hopefully the cats vets can school him

Reply #592952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I think he's better than most Perth fans realise."

I haven't read much criticism of, or disappointment in the Brandt signing from Perth fans. Losing a WA player who had a good season is never good but I think Brandt is a better player than Jervis.

Reply #592953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very over the average punter statement of "omg why not Gladness!!"

Gladness is older, and is what he is at this stage. He averaged 9 and 7 in the NBL and was constantly in foul trouble. Most clubs are going to go with a cheaper option, with room to grow that can bring the exact same thing as Gladness.

Reply #592954 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's interesting (if true)
A suggestion was that Perth would look to move Knight back to the 5, and bring in an athletic 4/5 (or even stretch 4.)
To me, its looks like that has happened.

If you look at the size and quality of the front courts some teams are building, then perhaps he seems a weird choice.
But if you look at the overall team balance, then perhaps not. Knight, Brandt, Wagstaff, are all big bodies, but not what you'd call "Athletic."

Reply #592955 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you look at what MU, Sydney, and even Brisbane are going, it certainly "looks" like there is money being splashed around.

But, I imagine that compared to Europe we're still a bargain basement league.

The Cats and others have done very well with younger guys looking for a stepping stone.
As a fan, it's not what I want to see, a procession of guys on 1yr deals, on the way to the NBA or Europe.
But then I also want to see my team win.

Reply #592956 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

He source for this "rumour" is as legit as it comes. It's pending NBL paperwork approval. Official announcement should be this week. This is the guy.

Reply #592957 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

JaMeel just favourited my tweet. I'll take that as confirmation. Haha

Reply #592958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz why you doubting? As per RMQs Twitter this is legit

Reply #592959 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Very happy with the Wikdcats recruitment this season.

Loosing Jawai and Jervis were massive covers.

But I think we've done well.

The biggest question mark will be on whether Jaron can become the threat Beal was and free up our other scorers

Reply #592960 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"I haven't read much criticism of, or disappointment in the Brandt signing from Perth fans. Losing a WA player who had a good season is never good but I think Brandt is a better player than Jervis."

No, I haven't read any criticism of Brandt, but it seems like everyone was waiting for Perth to sign someone to replace Jawai, when IMO they've already done that in Brandt. Brandt in the last 1/3rd of last season was really, really good. His jumper has range, and he dunks everything around the basket. Hard to rate him defensively given how bad Sydney were overall in that department.

Reply #592961 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Gladness is older, and is what he is at this stage. He averaged 9 and 7 in the NBL and was constantly in foul trouble. Most clubs are going to go with a cheaper option, with room to grow that can bring the exact same thing as Gladness."

All true, but it's not like McKay knocked those numbers out of the park even in his last year of college. I'm sure he's going to be more athletic and probably a bit more dynamic, but bringing in a vet over a rookie has advantages above and beyond just points and rebounds per game... although I don't see McKay doing much better than 9 and 7 with 3 or 4 fouls a game, TBH.

Reply #592963 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It obviously remains to be seen how effective this team is, but from the little I know, I like it.
We've attempted to increase the showtime factor from last season, and I think that was the required direction for Perth to keep selling those expensive seats.

Looking forward to this shitty AFL season being over and the NBL getting started ;)

Reply #592964 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

How am I "doubting"
Just because I qualified by statement with "(if true)"?
I also said "To me, it looks like that has happened."

He's not the big enforcer many were expecting, but as I said right from the start this was always an option.

Reply #592965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great points Angus - I didn't really consider the intangibles a vet can bring.

Reply #592966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks legit judging by his recent Twitter activity

Reply #592968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubting was probably a bit strong. Keep doing your thing dazz.

In regards to roster construction I like that the cats have taken an athletic and speed based approach. At a minimum it will be entertaining and also likely to be difficult to match up with. It would have been easy to try and bring back the same players or like for like replacements but the cats are trying to stay a step ahead of the game and be the trend setters as opposed to followers

Reply #592971 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Does the speed and athleticism game require shooters?

When I think speed. I think a Warriors style Bball for some reason.

We don't really have the shooters. Or do we?

Reply #592972 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

you can watch Jaron Johnson play agsint Jameel McKay in the NBA summer league game on 16/7. NO Pelicans Vs D league selecy.

JJ wearing no. 9 for Dleague.

Reply #592975 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

interestingly in that summerleague game, McKay and Charles Jackson are matched up against each other!

Reply #592976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lack of shooting is a worry. We need Johnson to be legit as a shooter and ball handler or else this won't work. Otherwise we risk having a team of finishers but no one creating space out creating shots. We also have to hope prather is working on his game as he'll have added responsibility as far as shooting and playmaking with beal gone

Reply #592978 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Martin's lack of shooting is obviously a worry for a PG, but both Prather and Johnson can shoot it OK, and Knight is good from the FT line... I would still be packing the key and playing the drive against Perth, but I don't think it's quite so bad, especially when you bring a shooter lke Wagstaff in off the bench.

Reply #592981 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Freethrow % is a bit worrying

Reply #592983 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think people forget that these imports are only 3 players. Yes, they're significant, but you need to consider the team as a whole.

Jawai was great, we all loved the big guy, but his lack of pace and mobility was a huge downside. End of the day, he won us a championship, and that won't be forgotten, but you can understand why the Cats looked for something different.

When Matty and Macca are on the floor, you can debate who's 4 and who's 5. But we KNOW who'll be shuffling & banging, and who'll be flying.

Knight was always going to play less minutes as he gets older, and Brandt is a great backup.

Only time will tell how we shape up quality wise, but I'm happy with the shape of our squad.
(I just hope that Jarron can hit the 3's better than Beal.)

Reply #592986 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Just got the members email. It's official now!

Reply #592995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you send it to Dazz? He still isn't convinced...

Reply #592996 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign centre Jameel McKay

The Perth Wildcats have signed athletic American centre Jameel McKay as their third and final import player for the 2016/17 season.

He is the fourth new face to be added to the Wildcats championship-winning roster.

At 206cm and 96kg, McKay won't be the biggest centre in the league, but he makes up for it with an unbelievable wingspan of 222cm and a standing reach of 279cm.

The 23-year-old is thrilled to be coming to Perth.

"I always like to play with the best, and Perth’s history speaks for itself. I’m very grateful," said McKay.

“I’m a versatile player. I can guard different positions and do a lot of different things on the court. I’m just one of those fill-up-the-stat-sheet type guys.

“I’m a do-it-all kind of a player.”

McKay played college basketball at Iowa State, averaging 11.2 points, 9.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.

In his senior year, he took the Cyclones to the “Sweet 16” round of the NCAA Tournament.

He was also named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2015 when he rejected an impressive average of 2.4 blocks per outing.

More recently, he represented the New Orleans Pelicans at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, averaging 7.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in just 15 minutes of court time.

It was his defensive ability that caught Wildcats assistant coach Adam Forde’s eye.

“His reach, his ability to protect the basket and contest shots. The shots he doesn’t block, he changes. He’s perfect for what we need,” said Forde.

“He also has the ability to get out and run himself, so if we can keep protecting the paint, and get the ball out in transition, it’s going to be hard for teams to keep up with that up-tempo style of play.”

Jameel McKay was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where he attended Pulaski High School, before heading to college at Indian Hills Community College for two years.

He transferred to Iowa State for his junior and senior seasons.

McKay will arrive in Perth in the coming weeks.

Reply #592997 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Lol pretty funny that this post and leaks made them have to announce it

Reply #592999 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

And boom goes the dynamite

Reply #593001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was due for announcement anyway but the email leak would have been a bit of an embarrassment.

Reply #593002 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Perth is now the Lob City of Australia, Martin going to be getting lots of easy assists

Reply #593003 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So does anybody think he will be a good pick up for dream team, he suggests that he fills the stat sheet but I just can't buy it right now.

Intrigued more than pleased right now.... Then again I wasn't overly aware of whom James Ennis was until I seen him live

Reply #593008 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If Casey returns with the same hunger. And Jaron and Jameel have an Ennis type mind set. The. We are in good hands.

Hunger is key with these superstar athletes.

Reply #593009 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

They have lost some bulk and size bringing in Mckay for Jawai however they also gain in areas where Jawai was flawed. Mckay looks fit, healthy and is athletic and can run the floor.

We still have Brandt who is strong in the middle and Knight can play some minutes at the 5 if needed against the bigger guys in the league.

I'm foaming at the mouth to see how this team goes, theres a hell of a lot more athleticism in this team, more than I have seen for the Cats for a long time. If DKD and Jaron are a good as a knock down 3 players as they are bing touted as this should be a real fun team to watch.

A majority of the league have reloaded pretty big though so I still don't know if it will be "31 straight" but it should certainly get a few more bums on seats.

Reply #593011 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Don't forget DKD is an above average athlete as well.

This is a very atheltic wildcats team. Casual fans will be spoilt for choice when it comes to their favourite "dunk shooter"

Reply #593013 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I upgraded to silver memberships this year. Really looking forward to it ! :)
This team looks a lot more balanced than last years IMO

Reply #593015 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

No more dreadlocks in the league please.

Reply #593055 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

DKD is a key signing, last year we had only one guard on the bench, and were using Hire to backup the 2. He'll benefit from going back to his 3&D role.

I'm expecting huge things from Prather this season. The team dynamic will change slightly, but he won't personally have the same settling in period. I'm really hoping he's still hungry and desperate to improve, so that he can have another crack at the NBA.

McKay and Johnson are obviously unknowns. But at least with McKay it will be a case of hitting the gym and bulking up, not fighting an apparently losing battle with obesity.
Can't really accurately predict how these guys will go, but I'm excited to see.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we have improved from last year. Whether that's enough to keep pace with the rest of the league remains to be seen.

Reply #593075 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Glad to hear it, RMQ.
I'm more of a formal fan but I enjoy a good dunk shot as much as the next chap.

Reply #593077 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

But what about folks who like a lay-up off the top of the square?

Reply #593080 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

McKAY & Johnson actually arent unknown if you follow anything outside of the Perth Wildcats.

**eye roll**

Reply #593104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're unknowns in NBL circles. With any new import, it always remains to be seen how they will perform.

Reply #593105 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754