Anonymous
Years ago

Beal signs with Brisbane

Can't reveal source but it's a done deal.

Topic #39718 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good signing if true they need a decent SG and at least with Beal he's a known commodity, consistently inconsistent.

Bairstow, Kickert & Craig should be able to cover that somewhat.

Reply #593146 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

It makes sense. Low risk signing for a new team.

Reply #593160 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bairstow
Kickert
Craig
Beal
Gibson

is a solid starting five, Jervis and Petrie excellent frontcourt reserves, but their backcourt depth appears to be a worry. They do have a spare import spot to potentially upgrade midseason though.

Reply #593162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at that front court depth i'm not quite sure why Jervis left the cats, surely he will play similar minutes if not less than when he was behind Jawaii. If it was money fair enough..
I guess he is the only legit 7 footer rim protector there so may need to be played heavier minutes than the others.

Reply #593164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way jervis would have left had he known Brisbane were going to overload their front court. Silly move for him to jump ship so early in the free agency period.

Reply #593166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be one of the highest paid benchwarmers in the competition then!

Reply #593168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting for all the wildcat fans to start hating on him from now on... Great signing for the bullets.

Reply #593171 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

As a renewed season member, I'm very happy with this signing. Pretty much perfect fit on a needs-basis to fill the remaining spot.

I'm still concerned about the top-heavy big rotation, but time will tell there.

Really wish we'd gotten McCarron instead of Te Rangi.

Reply #593174 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good signing for the Bullets.
Dolla has partnered well with Damo for 3 years, no reason he can't do the same with Gibson.
Keep in mind, that when he's hot, he's a game changer.

When pulling a team together from scratch, an import who knows the league and the reffing is a good idea. Plus he's already progressing towards citizenship.

And yes, weird move by Jervis, but remember he wasn't actually a Free Agent. He'd already exercised his option with the Cats. Had he left it much longer, they might not have been prepared to release him.

Weird squad Le Manis is building, seems extremely top heavy for the modern game?

Reply #593175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Ag Ree.

Reply #593176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Jer Maine will be a good fit.

Reply #593177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When he's hot"

So - once a season?

Reply #593179 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I personally don't see it as a great pairing with Gibbo as both can be inconsistent and when you're backup is Shaun Bruce it only compounds the potential problems. If they're not cooking from the stripe then that places pressure on Bairstow and the inside crew. Most teams have gone BIG so far this off-season so it will be intersting to see how it pans out.

In saying that, if they got him for the right price then he'd be very handy as a naturalised player in the future. That would be the only reason I'd pair him with Gibbo on this squad at present. IF he naturalises in the next 12 months then they can source another flat out scorer for next season.

Reply #593181 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Just don't break his ankles

Reply #593182 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He doesn't have the best recent record in Queensland!

Reply #593193 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

First game of the season will be even more interesting now.. Jervy and Dolla in enemy colors.

Reply #593195 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Is there any reason that Beal would naturalise though? I know every time an import sticks around a few seasons it's brought up, but at least with Lisch, his wife is an aussie, what's in it for Dollar?

Reply #593197 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He can play as a local.
Probably easier to bring his missus and child(ren) out

Reply #593198 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I think the positive to him naturalasing is the longevity that it provides if he wishes to stay in the NBL. Clearly he's not NEA level and he wouldn't last long in Europe with his inconsistencies for mine. He could earn a good six figure salary for years to come by doing so in Australia though dependent on the teams makeup.

Reply #593199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting all the people hating on dolla these days. Yes, he has his flaws, most players do, but it's about finding the right mix of players where you can bring out his strengths and cover up his weaknesses. At the end of the day the guy played heavy minutes (probably as much as anyone else on the team) on a team that won two rings in three years. Oh yeah he was the finals MVP for one one too.

If I wanted to be negative i could say that damo can't score, jawai is too unfit and slow, knight gets injured all the time, prather can't shoot, beal can't defend and is an inefficient scorer. All those things might be correct but basketball isn't played in a vacuum it's a team game and you play and coach as a team to work best with your strengths and weaknesses.

Reply #593201 | Report this post

blitz1984  
Years ago

Beal will be loving the tinder in Brizbane

Reply #593205 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Don't see a large amount of hate on here to be honest.

Reply #593206 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is there any reason that Beal would naturalise though? I know every time an import sticks around a few seasons it's brought up, but at least with Lisch, his wife is an aussie, what's in it for Dollar?
What's in it for all the people who come here and get citizenship who aren't professional athletes?

Word is he and his family love it here. Between that and job security, why not?

Reply #593207 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Sad to see him leave Perth but glad to see that he is still in the NBL. Im going to miss watching those dolla bill floating down from the Arena roof.

Reply #593208 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

They can still drop them during bullets games!

Reply #593210 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

haha true but i doubt they will. Should be a good game with Jervis and Beal returning to the Arena. So good to see the Bullets back in the league this year.

Reply #593213 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Problem with Beal is that he seems to suffer from the same problem Gibbo suffered from in Adelaide... When he's not handling the ball, he has a real tendency to disappear on offense for large stretches. Going to be interesting watching the two of them coexist.

Reply #593217 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

totally agree with anon above, I am not a Beal fan and never been one as I feel he can penetrate much better than he does and consequently doesn't get to the line enough but in a team with Bruce, rookie and Te Rangi as backups, he offers 30-35 minutes each game so he doesn't lack in stamina and that alone solves some issues for Andrej.

If Andrej can bring an aggressive side out in Gibbo and Dolla then I dont think they will achieve much this season but if they are in good form the Bullets will be more than a handful

Reply #593320 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This year wil be the first time Gibbo hasn't had a long off-season with the Boomers since 2008, so I think we will see a different player. He will be fresh and have a point to prove after a poor NBL season and being overlooked for Rio.

I suspect the Breakers will also be beneficiaries of their players earlier international finish this year. Following the last Olympic year where they had a full pre-season they went 24-4 and swept the playoffs.

Reply #593347 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

And we have confirmation. It's a done beal. I mean dean.

Reply #594704 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Deal

Reply #594705 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ya fluffed it

Reply #594708 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Totally. Congrats to anon for the scoop!

Reply #594733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754