GordonG
Years ago

Taipans Sign Travis Trice

Taipans sign Travis Trice to first import spot

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have signed former Michigan State University standout point guard Travis Trice for the 2016-17 season.

Trice led his seventh-seeded Michigan State Spartans to the NCAA Final Four as a senior in 2015, claiming East Region MVP honours and averaging 19.0 points and 4.2 assists.

It was this Final Four run that first piqued Taipans head coach Aaron Fearne's interest.

"They made a massive run to the final four, and he was a huge part of driving them there.

“Travis was really impressive there and I actually made a lot of deep investigations for last year’s import positions, but he’d wanted to go the D-League route instead," Fearne said.

The 183-centimetre playmaker went on to sign a partially-guaranteed deal with the NBA’s New York Knicks in 2015, before being assigned to their Westchester Knicks D-League affiliate for 2015-16.

In 49 games for Westchester, he averaged 15.3 points and 5.7 assists.

“He had an outstanding season with Knicks; playing the triangle offence isn’t easy, and he did a really good job,” Fearne said.

Trice is known for his deadly mid-range game, but has also shown he can convert from long range and score at the rim.

He demonstrated his ability to perform under the spotlight in the Final Four, capping a breakout senior year at Michigan State where he doubled his output as a starter.

In 39 games, Trice scored 15.3 points and dished out 5.1 assists, up from 7.3 points and 2.3 assists in his junior year.

“He’s a winner, coming from a winning programme. He’ll bring a high level of intelligence, effort and execution, which will be really important,” Fearne said.

“He’s played on the biggest stage. He’s played in the Final Four just like Scottie Wilbekin did. That’s the biggest stage there is and he went out there and played really well.”

“We think he’ll be a good fit for us. The point guard position in the NBL is really strong, so you need players who can hold their own in that spot.”

Travis Trice Biography
Height: 183cm
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 22/01/93
College: Michigan State (2011-2015)
Professional: New York Knicks, NBA (2015); Westchester Knicks, D-League (2015-16).

Topic #39727 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Nice. I reckon he could be another Ty McKee, NBA talent on many levels but not athletically. Good signing.

Reply #593283 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Nice." <-- Just like I said ;)

Reply #593286 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is a surprisingly good signing for Cairns.

Reply #593291 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just waiting for the "He's not a PG, Gliddon is the PG" posts.

Reply #593293 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am a Gliddon fan but you wont be hearing that from me.

Reply #593295 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Jawai is the PG.

Reply #593296 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Fearny bagged himself a good one me thinks.

Reply #593299 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From Wilson to Wilbekin to potentially Trice, Fearne is building up a pretty good rep for identifying import PGs. If only he'd uncovered Thornton.

Reply #593301 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Gliddon is a 2, who's saying he's a point guard?

Reply #593302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing, this guy is a winner playing for tom izzo at Michigan state

Reply #593303 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I like.

Reply #593335 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754