fstos
Years ago

Illawarra Hawks sign import big

Bevo reporting on his blog that the Hawks have signed a big. Mr "H" is all he is being called in the blog along with the following description.

"last night we watched a lot of video on some guys who have played in the D-League. One of the guys (Mr H) is a really big boy who is about 6'10+ and about 260-270lbs!!"

Sounds like a 5 only which means either he will see limited minutes or that Bevo has plans to play AJ at 4 at times.

Would have preferred someone who was more of a 4/5.

Topic #39731 | Report this topic

Josh  
Years ago

it appears hawks have signed Michael Holyfield

Reply #593345 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OdV2ZxZIU

Reply #593346 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, bit of a weird signing, going for a real "Twin Towers" approach.

Reply #593350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt they will play much together, assuming Holyfield is the guy. I suspect Beveridge wants a tough rebounding, defensive centre on the floor at all times to spark the running game and give them extra shots on the o-boards.

If you look at he teams that have reached GF in recent years, most have had two good centres. It allows for quality rather than quantity.

Reply #593351 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I guess it depends on how good this guy is, and how much he cost. He's already spend a year in the D-League, so maybe without any better offers he was relatively cheap?

Reply #593354 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He looks like Aleks MAric to me. Just big, slow, strong, can rebound and make put backs.

Reply #593361 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

They're certainly some big dudes in the NBL this season. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Will we see a lot of minutes with tall timber lumbering around the 5 AND 4.
Or will they be more like a Nuclear Deterrent? Kept on the bench just in case the opponents unleash theirs?

Interesting that after being the Poster Boys for big lumber last year, Perth have gone against the trend.

Reply #593363 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I get what you say Paul but it just seems strange to duplicate what you already have with one of your top 2 players on the roster. Both AJ and Holyfield are arguably only capable of playing one position so someone's minutes have to give. Hawks have weaknesses in other areas that would have been better to address IMO.

Maybe the swingman import can play both wing spots and is a decent rebounder/defender so that is one covered but the 4 spot rebounding and D have been the gaping hole that needed patching for a few years now.

Martin/Clarke
Clarke/import 2-3/White
Coenraad/import 2-3/White
Forman/Ellis
AJ/Holyfield.

Reply #593368 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Martin/Norton
Clarke/White
Import/Ellis/Coenraad
Kay/Forman
AJ/Holyfield

I think you'll see Ellis play a bit more three this season with Kay and Ossie predominantly at the four. I think if Holyfield is the import he can play alongside AJ for short periods - especially against the likes of Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Cairns & NZ once they sign their backup big men who will ideally be bangers. Melbourne would be wise to go this route also for mine.

Reply #593370 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Forgot Kay and Norton....Getting old...

Reply #593371 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

huge big hands looks to run the floor really well

Reply #593384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't wait to see Maric v Holyfield this season !

Reply #593508 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Maric will be about as good as Jervis at best. Don't see him being much at all. Holyfield looks a lot more mobile and explosive.

AJ can now play a lot more aggressively as they can afford to sit him as apposed to last year when the Hawks were lost on the boards when he was off.

Reply #593513 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Totally agreed fstos, Ogilvy getting in foul trouble will be far less costly with Mr H to replace him, not to mention that Kay could also play some 5 if say DJ is playing 5 or Knight.

I think Illawarra will be the surprise packets this season as I like how Kay, Clarke, Ellis, Martin and their potential swing man able to play a few positions so Bevo can switch his team around a bit and be less predictable than other teams.

Reply #593571 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They will be a good rebounding team from game one this year. Had they been able to rebound from early on last season they probably would have finished top and got homecourt advantage.

The key now is to get another genuine scorer on the wing to replace some of what Penney brought last season, albeit in a different way most likely.

Reply #593617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754