Isaac
Years ago

Taipans cut ties with Matt Burston

MATT Burston's Cairns Taipans career is over.

The veteran big man has not been offered a fresh contract for the 2016-17 NBL season after playing the past three campaigns with the club.

The Taipans organisation never gave the 211cm centre a guarantee a fresh contract would be forthcoming and encouraged him to explore options elsewhere if he wanted to extend his career.

Taipans coach Aaron Fearne spoke with Burston in the past seven days for the first time since the 2015-16 season, with both parties accepting his tenure at the club was finished.
Full story

33 years old, veteran defensive big. The third import spots and the loss of a team have been pretty damaging for some capable players. Guys like Burston, Tragardh, Hill and Carter out of the NBL.

Topic #39742 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas Walker too

Reply #593668 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

If United don't have the $ to find a decent import, Burston would make a good addition to round out their roster.

Reply #593669 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

But its the player points system that keeps these mid tier guys out of the league?!!??!!?

Reply #593671 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ I agree. Burston is rated as a defensive centre; he also brings some offence to the court. Breakers could potentially use him, too, as Rob Loe is more of a stretch 4 than a 5.

Reply #593672 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is the fall out from the league allowing an extra import and therefore having higher standards of its Australian players.

Reply #593674 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers last spot is going to an Import 4 that can bang bodies and hit the boards

Reply #593678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The line where it's the first time the coach and player have spoken since the last season is an odd one to me. Why include that if it's not meant to convey an issue.

Reply #593679 | Report this post

Anonomouse  
Years ago

Each Team still has 8 spots for Aussies.

Perhaps its just the fact that younger and better players are coming along? Not everyone gets to play forever and retire on their terms.

Reply #593687 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It's unfortunate for Burston (and the others mentioned), however surely it's a good sign for the league overall that decent contributors like these guys are finding it harder to win a spot on a roster?

Reply #593689 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Burston might end up at Sydney as he'd be a great backup for Khazzouh. He's still a very good player.

Reply #593691 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ Smith, Sydney have Maric as well as Khazzouh. That's probably enough.

Reply #593695 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Burston's had what, a 16 year pro career? That's pretty good by most standards. He'll be 34 this season.
If anything the 11 man squad has provided additional opportunities for "end of the bench" players. Plus in the modern era, there are far less naturalised players in the NBL, and greater opportunities for Aussies to play O/S. So I really don't feel people can whinge about lack of opportunities.

Reply #593699 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's probably mostly due to the marquee rules and the additional cap space that creates.

We've seen locals like Penney, Khazzouh, Bairstow, Kickert, Lisch (now naturalised), Jawai, Maric, Andersen, Newley all return to the league. Goulding played one season overseas and then returned home.

The standard of local/Australian players in the NBL has greatly increased in the past 3 years. Rewind to even 2013-2014 and make a list of the best Australians in the league, and compare this to the new list with all of the above players added in.

This of course squeezes out some of the other Australians like Walker and Burston.

Reply #593707 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(and other factors play into that as well, like Economics, value of the dollar, etc, likelihood of actually being paid etc).

Reply #593709 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dazz, there will be just over 50 Aussies in the NBL this season. I'm pretty certain that is the fewest number there has ever been. If that's not a lack of opportunities I don’t know what is.

By my quick count there are less than 20 Aussies playing full-time pro ball overseas, meaning about 70 pros in total. Australian rules footy has a similar male participation rate to basketball but has more than 10 times the number of professional opportunities.

Reply #593713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul - the NBL is not a 'boomers' development program. It is a product attempting to display the best basketball possible. I think a MINOR reduction in aussie talent for the huge influx of returning pro Aussie plus the increase in quantity and quality of import is well worth it.

The NBL owes nothing to Aussie juniors/veterans and if they don't make the cut - as much as it sucks, it's just tough luck.

Reply #593714 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Comparing to AFL is a bit ridiculous though... it's like comparing chalk and a cow...

Reply #593715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense when you can have 3 imports an Asian and the possibility of a naturalised player in your starting 5. It's laughable.

Reply #593716 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ Dazz: "If anything the 11 man squad has provided additional opportunities for "end of the bench" players."...

Burston was a starter last year, mate.

Reply #593717 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think a MINOR reduction in aussie talent"

Since 2008 there has been a reduction of almost 50 Aussies playing in the NBL. That isn't really MINOR.

Reply #593718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's minor when you consider a guy going out like Rhys Carter means a guy like Childress coming in.

Reply #593719 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I get that Free Throws but Maric is starting next to Khazzouh so who's their big coming off the bench? Tommy and Hill are both stretch 4's who struggle with post defence.

Reply #593720 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We need another 2 teams to boost the number of Aussies playing, no question... the problem is how to get there without losing any of the 8 we currently have. The strategy to boost the quality of the product on the court by teams spending a ton of cash could go either way - we have a couple of great seasons of basketball and we get 2 more teams, or the arms race has no real winners and we lose 2 more teams.

Reply #593722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Better talent doesn't necessarily mean a better spectacle. The talent level went through the roof from the early 90s to the late 90s but pure entertainment value went down.

Had a good chuckle at anon trying to reduce the loss of around 50 Aussie jobs to Childress in for Carter! The more teams you have the more import spots there are too. Funny.

Reply #593723 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

What's the point that you're trying to make though, paul? iS it that there needs to be more teams? (everyone would agree) or are you arguing that with 8 teams there shouldn't be a third import? (I'd agree with you on that)

You're throwing around stats about loss of playing spots without actually making any clear point... The losses of most of those spots can be attributed to losing teams out of the league, what can we do about it? Make a more exciting product so there are more people wanting to go to games which justifies more teams like Angus was saying? That seems like common sense to me...

Saying that pure entertainment level went down is fairly subjective, I think... I didn't get to watch any 80s games, but I watched a lot in the 90s and I was pretty entertained...

Reply #593726 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Burston might remain in QLD still, Brisbane could do with another big.

Reply #593727 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The issue is that fringe players salaries are not that much greater than a 'normal' workplace salary, so it must get to a point where if they can't earn $x playing basketball anymore, they'll just get a real job and earn $x-1 for the next 30 years.

Reply #593728 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wookie, my point is very simple, a rebuttal of Dazz's comment that "I really don't feel people can whinge about lack of opportunities".

There are the fewest opportunities for Aussies in the NBL's history, and just over half as many as there were eight years ago, so there is clearly a lack of opportunities.

The three-import rule hasn’t really impacted it because the league has added an extra roster spot to each team to cover. The lack of teams is the biggest factor.

Reply #593731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lack of teams AND the marquee rules with the additional spending allowed, (combined with whatever other factors have led to better Aussies coming home).

Walker, Burston, Carter etc aren't good enough to earn decent coin playing in Europe. Goulding, Penney, Newley, Jawai, Bairstow, etc, they all are. So if the second group decides to play in Aus instead of Europe, then there will be an overall reduction in Australians playing professionally, irrespective of the number of teams in the NBL.

Reply #593732 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Reply #593733 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the number of spots available for Australians is the same, how can you also say, as you did above, that it's the lowest it's ever been?

In fact, given not all teams will be running with three imports, and the number of roster spots has increased, surely the number of Aussies in the league will go up?

Reply #593734 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My point above is that, if the number of teams in NBL remains constant, then the marquee rules and increased salary cap will result in a reduction of Aussies playing professionally. That's what's happened in the past 3 years.

Paul's point about the number of teams is obviously valid too, and that speaks more to the reductions from say 2008 to 2014.

Reply #593735 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My previous post was directed at paul, LV must have posted while I was typing.

Reply #593737 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although a counter argument to my argument, would be to point to Aussies who have gone from NBL to Europe in past 3 years, like Magden, Steindl etc. But I suspect more have come back the other way from Europe to NBL.

Although I would be interested if someone did compile a list. Comparing 2013-14 NBL season to 2016-17- numbers of Aussies now in NBL compared to Europe/elsewhere professionally... off the top of my head:

Penney,
Khazzouh,
Kickert,
Lisch (now naturalised),
Jawai,
Maric,
Andersen,
Newley
Barlow
Markovic

Another category would be those who started an professional career overseas but then came to the NBL in the past 3 years, like Majok Majok, Rob Loe, Cam Bairstow. In years gone by, they perhaps would have been more likely to stay overseas rather than join the NBL. This also means a reduction in overall Australians playing professionally, if number of NBL teams don't change

Reply #593738 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz, there will be just over 50 Aussies in the NBL this season
Sure, we should mine the Tasman Sea and keep those pesky kiwis out.
End of the day, we have been a trans-Tasman league for a while.

Reality is that even if each team takes up their Maximum allowance of imports, there are 64 places for locals. Exactly the same as last year.
Plus there's a good chance that a couple of teams won't use all 3 slots.

Burston was a starter last year, mate.
What's your point?
Redhage was a starter two seasons ago, this season the 11 man squad has saved his career.

Burston is way past his prime. If he's going to get a role anywhere, it will be on a bench.

Reply #593740 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

33 dudes past it, Its a business no excuse to be mad at cairns for this. There is much better younger players that would play for his contract

Reply #593744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year 8 teams 10 roster spots and 2 imports max

This year 8 teams 11 roster spots and 3 imports max

Exactly the same amount of aussies spots available

Reply #593745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#745...I gather for your arguement your classifying Aussies/NZ players as one group?

Reply #593748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, call it 'local' spots

Not that many guys get to Burston's age in pro sports, so he has done well, great career, i was a fan.

The NBA doesnt have a fixed number of american spots, i just goes for the best talent available to it, they dont complain about Aussie players, and other internnationals playing in their league, so i think the NBL should go a similar approach, so i dont mind 3 imports, etc, i think the NBL should get the best players it can, and obviously many of them will be 'locals' as Aussies/NZers are pretty damm good.

Yes we need a few more teams, but the issue is who is going to fund this in the short and long term, cant just expect LK to fund everything cos he is rich.

LK's plan seems to be add as much talent as possible, to make it the best possible, in the hope more fans, sponsonrs, media/TV will get involved in the lesgue and increase the revenue and make all clubs viable and make it more attractive for teams to come into the league aswell, he is taking a bit of a boom or bust approach and will be interesting to see how it goes, but i can see his logic.

I know i am loving the level of talent coming into the league, and i just hope sponsors, and TV/TV viewers get on board and make the NBL a flying success which in turn gives Aussie basketballs more jobs and more job security,i just dont think the league should really change just to suite a few of the mid tier, often older players who miss out on a spot, this happens in all sports including the NBA and AFL anyway, its just a part of pro sports, once you are in your 30's if your not either a star player or a really cheap but really valuable role player, you do seem to miss out.

Reply #593754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK's plan is to push out Cairns and Wollongong ASAP.

Reply #593756 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Koberulz, here's the breakdown from last year to this year for Aussie players.

Some rosters aren't finalised, so I've based whether they're signing another import in that spot or not on what I've heard, meaning these numbers could be slightly out either way in the end:

Adelaide 8 to 8
Cairns 8 to 8
Illawarra 9 to 8
Melbourne 8 to 7
New Zealand 1 to 0
Perth 7 to 7 (one naturalised)
Sydney 7 to 7 or 8 (one naturalised)
Tsv/Bris 7 to 8

Total 2015/16 = 55 including one naturalised
Total 2016/17 = 53 or 54 including two naturalised

I expect the league breakdown to be 53 or 54 Aussies, 11 or 12 Kiwis, one Guamian and 22 imports.

Reply #593771 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The only way the number of locals drops is by naturalisation or Oceanians. Neither is worth worrying about.
Splitting hairs over kiwis is similarly puerile.

Now as usual, the same old people insist on re-writing the argument, to avoid admitting they're wrong.

This thread is about Cairns cutting Burston.
The claim was made that this was due to the league allowing an extra import. Which is clearly wrong.

Pointing out that 7 Aussie teams is less than we once had, is beyond nonsensical.

Furthermore, the implicit suggestion, that the league should have "more teams to provide more opportunity" is simply mind-boggling.

Reply #593776 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Spot on Dazz.

The only thing more idiotic in this thread than arguing for the sake of arguing is how many posts a minor topic like this got.

Burston has had a very long career and was probably fortunate to still be in the league at this point. The Taipans decision not to re-sign him has nothing to do with footy, Guamanians, the entertainment level of 90's NBL or even the number of teams in the league.

Reply #593780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Furthermore, the implicit suggestion, that the league should have "more teams to provide more opportunity" is simply mind-boggling."

I'm not saying that. What I was pointing out was that you were completely wrong in saying there was no justification for players complaining about lack of opportunities.

For various reasons there have never been fewer Aussies in the league. That's a fact, one you weren't aware of. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Reply #593783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Burton, he had a horrific run with injuries and did incredibly well to last this long. His time has come but he can look back on his career with pride, a very good defensive big man who had incredibly soft hands for a centre when he was in his prime.

He could be someone who pops up as an injury replacement during the year, a contending team could do worse than to bring in his experience during the season if they need a big.

Reply #593789 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But there are the same number of opportunities for Aussies that there have been since the Blaze folded.

Reply #593790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And?

Reply #593793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we look at it in another way, the competition for spots is tough, so only "the strongest will survive". What I mean is, you need to work on your game. Lucas Walker came into the league as a great athlete, great potential.... several years later you can say the same thing. What has he really added or improved in his game?

Reply #593803 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The shortage of opportunities is producing deep rosters and super intense basketball. This year could well be the best of all.

Reply #593806 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And?
And that's more relevant to whether Australian players should have an issue with the number of opportunities available than the actual number of Aussies in the league is.

Reply #593808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should sports be any less cutthroat than any other job in Australia? Do local nurses and teachers have preference over internationals? No, you compete.

From a basketball perspective, those suggesting it is a bad thing that better Australian players are coming back to play in our local league really need to think about that...

How is better local talent playing locally a bad thing????

The less talented players won't have jobs: Walker, Carter, a 33 year old Burston and what is with the hair (maybe trying to fool us into thinking he is still in his early twenties) Trigger. News flash the league is better without them., they really add very little to the spectacle of basketball. Unless you count the one fling that finally drops for Carter as a highlight....

They are professionals, jobs are hard to find in Australia, just ask university graduates. They were lucky to get to play sport professionally for as long as they did.

Reply #593810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Has anyone suggested top players coming back to the league is a bad thing?

Reply #593811 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Koberulz, you're not seeing the woods for the trees. There was a severe lack of opportunities in 2012/13 (and for a number of years before that) just as there is now. This isn't a new issue.

Reply #593813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754