Hoopie
Years ago

Life after Bogut?

Given his impact at Rio, I wonder who's going to replace him once he retires from internationals.

I know lots of names have been thrown around, but who has Bogey's package of a big body, rim protector, great passer, dunker, and all-round tough guy at both ends of the floor?

I think his passing and vision will be hard to replace.

Topic #39749 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's not a foregone conclusion that he wont be able to play a major tournament. But at the moment, I think we have Baynes for another go-around, Humphries, Maker. They wont bring the same attributes but they'll be quality.

Reply #594090 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hopefully Bogut, like Gaze and Andersen before him, will remain with the national team into his Mid30's and play the 2019 world cup and 2020 Olympics.

Reply #594093 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Humphries seems more in the mould of Bogut than Maker is.

If you don't have that sort of guy on your team, you try to build the team's strategy around who you have got.

A coach once told me he would take the best point guard available, and the best player available in any other spot, and build his team around those two guys.

If the future Boomers teams don't have Bogut, would you look at structuring them around Simmons for the future? You'd still need a big body in the paint, but Simmons would take care of your passing needs from down low, I would think.

Reply #594094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After rio maybe...

Martin out. In? Vasljevic?
Mills in.
Lisch out. Exum in.
Dellavedova in.
Goulding possibly out. In? Drmic/Mcarron/Gliddon?
Broekhoff in.
Ingles possibly out. In? Blanchfield/White/Adel?
Bairstow out. Simmons in.
Motum out. In? Maker in.
Baynes
Anderson out. In? Gak/Froling/Jois/Mathiang?
Bogut out. Humphries in.

We shall see...

Reply #594095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Baynes is still around in 2019/20.
Humphries is my pick to take over centre position although the team will be based around the big 3 of Simmons , Exum and Maker by then

Reply #594102 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

For 2019 world cup, perhaps...

In: Maker, Simmons, Exum.

Out: Andersen, Martin, Goulding.

Reply #594104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise baynes is almost 30! Makes that haircut even worse. Delly will be 29 so probably in his prime. Keeps playing the way he has been and that could be a big 4

Reply #594105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is probably next best choice after Humphries

Reply #594106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good range of ages at next olympics:

Bogut 35
Ingles 32
Baynes 33
Delly 29
Patty 31
Exum 25
Simmons 24
Humphries 22
Broekhoff 29
Maker 42

Reply #594107 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #594108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40 + 4 is 44
According to summer league...

Reply #594109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova, Ingles, Baynes and Mills will all be 29 - 33 and still key members of the team.
Simmons 24, Exum 25 and Maker 23 will be the stars at that time.
Leaves 5 spots available from following players
Broekhoff
Landale
Humphries
McDowell-White
Bolden
Jois
A Drmic
Adel
H Froling
Vailijevic

Reply #594117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bogut had a great game today - scored efficiently, great defence and an excellent pass to Patty at one point.

Reply #594413 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield could well be in that mix come the next WC. He has impressed in Boomers development squads and will get his chance to impress in the H&A qualifiers.

With how well we're playing here, I wouldn't be surprised if Bogut tried to still be around for the next WC and Olympics, especially if he has retired from the NBA by then, he will be able to manage his body a lot better.

This team is something special, most guys are going to want to play again, especially with the improvement in front of Exum and Simmons who can give us a new dimension.

Reply #594422 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Early last NBL season I almost had Blanchfield locked in ... and then he fell right off. To me he's got the size/athleticism/skills combo to be an international. Needs to find the consistency.

Reply #594433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His international form in the off-season was very good though, if Lemanis is coach again he'll definitely get a look in.

Reply #594459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754