DJ
Years ago

A-League Continues to Impress

They've put up some wallpapers Apoligies for the size :-)

Now why cant the NBL produce some stuff like this :-)

Topic #3975 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL could stage a photo shoot for specific players during the Blitz when everyone's in the same place. Pick key players from each team -- do wallpapers, some promo images for any potential advertising, etc. Get the venue contra by promoting the area featured (e.g., Cairns Tourism board), try for a discount on photography by offering a cut on poster sales of wallpapers, etc.

I will be unimpressed if the NBL can't achieve better statistics for this season too. They should lean on Prowess Sports to get access to the PDFs and make them available to fans signing up to their newsletter (which I swear I signed up to, but never received anything).

Reply #46269 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Is the answer in the fact that the supporters of the A league are some of Austrlia's wealtheist people?

Gerry Harvey ( Harvey Norman 12 the richest man in Australia)

Bruno Grollo ( 27th richest in Australia)

John Ilhan (86th richest in Australia)

Throw in Gordon Pickard for South Australia and some others i cant think of that are in the BRW rich list and you have a very formidable cash backing to make sure that the A League returns them money.

I have said to people that AFL may be struggling in 10 years to compete with soccer and may well be second in attendances within a short time.

The NBL has missed the opportunity to atract these types of owners. We can hope for is that Eddie Groves gets a few of his mates in to prop up some teams or to buy new licenses and venues.

No doubt the Bullets help Groves come tax time and so others may look at it the same way.

Reply #46281 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Your right in regards to getting the big name backers - however this kind of stuff is cheap to do and as Isaac said all the players will be in one location for the blitz - how hard is it to take some good quality shoots - either at the stadium or find a funky looking street court, get players wearing either uniforms or warmup gear - so they distinctly stand out for what teams. Throw the photos to the press.

Reply #46292 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The A-League might be impressing you now but I think you need to see where attendences are after say three seasonss b4 u go claiming them a contender to take on the AFL.

Cold hard facts are that last Friday night, in a pre-season semi, when no football was on in Melb, the crowd was around 3500.

The previous first up pre-season game for the Victory drew closer to 5000.

They need something like 15000 per game to break even in Melb. if it's like that at other venues (perhaps with the exception of Perth), then they could well struggle.

This is a league that needs to sell itself above and beyond the significant ethnic barriers that have hurt the sport in the past - and appeal everywhere to a middle ground.

It'll take one idiot in Sydney setting off a flare and the resultant crowd stupidity and familes will be driven away,

There will be plenty of people within the soccer community prepared to ambush the A-League because they have lost power/attachment or even tribalism in the changes that have occurred.

Should be an interesting first year.

Reply #46303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754