Isaac
Years ago

Kyrie seriously considered playing for Boomers

Reasonably long story worth reading if you're interested in the backstory.

"I was very serious, man," Irving said this week when asked how close he was to joining the Boomers in 2012.

“(Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski) was a huge part of the decision. I mean, he's Coach K. As a young fella, he definitely did tell me I had a chance to be a part of something bigger than myself and ultimately being the starting point guard on the US Olympic team. I never thought it would happen as soon as it has.
Full story

Coach K and the Duke connection too much to overcome.

Topic #39755 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And some of it is based on fact

Reply #594277 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I get a bit sick of Kyrie calling himself an Aussie. If he was so Aussie he'd be wearing different colors. He's using his Australian birth as some sort of gimmick.

Reply #594292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ME, do you have heritage split between two countries? If not, you may not understand what it can mean to people.

I imagine in this case if he was further down the PG pecking order and maybe didn't have the coach link, it could well have happened. However, with any serious shot at Team USA, that's obviously going to be his priority.

Reply #594301 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sorry, where does the "Heritage Split" come in?

He was born here to American parents, and went to America permanently when he was two. He would not even remember Australia, much less have Australian "Heritage."

Many countries would not even acknowledge such a birth.

My Cousin was born at RAAF Butterworth. He doesn't consider himself Malaysian.

Reply #594317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well judging by your cousin I guess we can deduce that no one else on the planet could possibly have an alternative view of their heritage.
Thanks for clearing that up Dazz!!!!!

Reply #594318 | Report this post

JamesJohn  
Years ago

he said he wants to play IN his country of birth not FOR it... so im guessing he is willing to play NBL rather than play for the Boomers

Stretching a bit here guys

Reply #594454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it's a stretch to say he dreams of playing in the NBL hahaha

Reply #594455 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Nick Marvin will find a way to make it happen. #WildcatsChamps2028

Reply #594456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was born here to American parents, and went to America permanently when he was two. He would not even remember Australia, much less have Australian "Heritage."
Spoken like someone who doesn't get it, Dazz.

I was not born in Slovenia. Nor my brother. Nor my mother, who was born just over the border in Italy. But my maternal grandparents were Slovenian, spoke the language, brought the food and customs with them, and it's something that I and my siblings have always associated with. I've been to Slovenia a couple of times to meet distant relatives and see the areas in which my grandparents grew up before they came to Australia by ship in the 1950s, and that's something special to me.

That's despite me not being born there and neither of my parents being born there. Kyrie was born in Australia. His father lived and worked here for a time.

When he talks about playing in Australia, I imagine he's talking about an exhibition series at most.

Reply #594511 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is his mother Australian? I don't really know anything about his family.

If none of this family including grandparents are actually Australian and given he was here for just the first two years of his life it would be a real stretch for him to identify in really anyway as an Aussie apart from technicality.

I think it's a bit different to Australians born and living here who have actual family of strong Greek, Italian, Eastern European, Asian or whatever else heritage. They'd get immersed into that as really being part of their blood. Irving seems just happened to be born while his father was working in another country.

Reply #594520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz was born in Dazzmania.

Reply #594526 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dazzleland

Reply #594531 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I was not born in Slovenia. Nor my brother. Nor my mother, who was born just over the border in Italy. But my maternal grandparents were Slovenian, spoke the language, brought the food and customs with them, and it's something that I and my siblings have always associated with. I've been to Slovenia a couple of times to meet distant relatives and see the areas in which my grandparents grew up before they came to Australia by ship in the 1950s, and that's something special to me.
Just FacePalm.

And again, FacePalm.

I know what Heritage is.
My point is that he doesn't have any.

I'm exceptionally proud of my Heritage, even though its one set of Great-Grandparents, and otherwise Great-Great-Grandparents, who were last born in the "Old Country." I also have Indigenous Heritage, of which I am also proud. My Wife has a different Heritage, and so my kids, whilst obviously Australian, are well aware of their multi-faceted origins.
Perhaps the ultimate ironic twist is that my wife qualifies for a UK passport, despite never having set foot in the country.
I know people who were born O/S but consider themselves "Australian" first, and vice versa.

So explain to me exactly what Australian Heritage this guy has???
His Heritage is American. (Black American, might be considered more accurate by some.)
He has no Australian ancestors, and was raised in America with no connection to Australia.

That he's legally an Australian Citizen is not at question. (Although many countries disallow citizenship under similar circumstances.)
It's also not at question that he's an American citizen, of American ancestry, and was raised as an American.

Reply #594629 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You don't even have heritage. Great, and Great-great grandparents? Pffft... That is meaningless.

See what I did there?

Reply #594633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, by some definitions, heritage means what is part of someone and what matters to them. How or why you'd even bother judging that, I don't know.

Reply #594639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are all the people complaining of Thon Maker and how it's a disgrace he's not laced them up for Australia, born overseas and lived overseas the last few years yet a lot want to claim him as Aussie.
How many times has Kyrie been in Australia since his birth? Being born here is a chapter of his life but can hardly identify with being a local, give him a quick quiz on australia and I reckon he'd fail dismally. Would Simmons identify himself as American because of his dad.
None of this I'll play for 1 country but consider myself another nationality, either you are or you ain't.

Reply #594642 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

, born overseas and lived overseas the last few years yet a lot want to claim him as Aussie.

We'll claim anyone good tbh. Even if they're a NZer, we can get away with claiming them usually.

Reply #594711 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Heritage:

The word 'heritage' comes from an old French word meaning ‘something that is passed down from previous generations; a tradition’. It was originally taken to mean property that was handed down by parents to their children, but in more recent times has taken on a much broader definition:

Those things from the past which are valued enough today to save for future generations
"Everywhere has a history and everywhere has a heritage"

History:

The word ‘history’ comes from the Latin word ‘historia’, which means ‘inquiry’, or ‘knowledge gained by investigation’. So ‘history’ is:
‘The discovery, collection, organisation and presentation of information about past of people, places and events‘.

Cultural Heritage:

This is the legacy of physical artifacts and intangible attributes of a group or society that are inherited from past generations, maintained in the present and bestowed for the benefit of future generations. Cultural heritage includes tangible culture (such as buildings, monuments, landscapes, books, works of art, and artifacts), intangible culture (such as folklore, traditions, language, and knowledge), and natural heritage (including culturally significant landscapes, and biodiversity).

Heritage can refer to practices or characteristics that are passed down through the years, from one generation to the next. Researching your family tree would help you gain a sense of your personal heritage.

Heritage is often used to discuss a cultural aspect or tradition that has been passed down through generations. For example, one might speak of an area’s "rich musical heritage.” Heritage can also refer to a person's ethnic or cultural background.

Reply #594713 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Perhaps you guys are confusing heritage with nationality:

Your nationality is the country you come from: American, Canadian, and Russian are all nationalities.

Everyone has a gender, race, sexual orientation...and a nationality.

A person's nationality is where they are a legal citizen, usually in the country where they were born.

People from Mexico have Mexican nationality, and people from Australia have Australian nationality.

People of the same nationality usually share traditions and customs, and they might look a little alike, too. Nationality is one of many qualities that bring people together.

Of course, these days you can have a National Passport or National Identity with multiple countries, which makes things more about choice rather than originality when it comes down to which country you want to play international sport with.

Reply #594717 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

hey dazz, what year was your cousin born at RAAF bworth?

Reply #594720 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Not much will be gained going into semantics.

Suffice to say people are free to feel whatever connection they like.

If Kyrie feels much of a connection with Australia then good on him, but i'd say it's more likely to be polite words with less substance.

Reply #594721 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Seriously, this argument has nothing to do with heritage or even whether Irving feels any connection to Australia or whatever and everything to do with the fact that Irving COULD have qualified and COULD have played for Australia if he chose to do so (putting aside the little problem that he played juniors for the USAB).

Hell, we were more than happy to claim medals won by Bulgarian weightlifters and Russian pole-vaulters, of course we would accept Irving if he had chosen to play for us. He didn't so be it. He might have, and probably would have if there was a crop of other American PGs in front of him for US selection. That doesn't mean that the what if's are not fun to discuss.

Reply #594737 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's "this argument" that you speak of? The discussion is clearly a flow on from ME saying thst Irving is treating his Aussie birth as a gimmick.

You can reframe the discussion around a different slant to the topic if you so desire but don't say the topic has nothing to do with what was being discussed because clearly it had everything to do with it.

Plus we already know Irving could have chosen to play for Australia if he wanted to, so at this point you're just stunting the discussion and stating the obvious.

Reply #595197 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Touchy. I have a problem with people trying to define who they say are or can be Australian. He either legally is or he isn't, and no one cannot strip him of that right whether he is using it as a gimmick or not.

He clearly associates most closely in his heart as American, and why wouldn't he. But why should he be called out for exploring or even taking advantage of all of his options? I have a passport that lets me work throughout Europe, even though I consider myself Australian. Do I need to give my dual citizenship up because I am treating it as a gimmick?

I don't think I was stunting your conversation when it took you half a week to respond.

Reply #595223 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nobody is saying who is/isn't, can/cannot be Australian or how people with an Australian passport/citizenship/whatever else decides to use it. I don't know where you're getting this from?

This isn't a "you're unAustralian" or "what it takes to be Australian" topic.

The legal aspect is irrelevant to the discussion taking place. He's not even being called out for exploring options.

The discussion is about how genuine Irving's words are about being an Australian at heart/wanting to play here.

He could have been genuine, or it could have been an off the cuff comment that he wasn't all that serious about.

ME's argument was 'action speaks louder than words' ie why isn't he playing for Boomers, indicating Irving is probably being a bit theatrical in his comments. Others replied maybe he has a place in his heart for both, look at the effect of heritage on many Australians who identify strongly with other nationalities. The other argument being, it's Team USA, you're going to get a gold medal - why wouldn't you join if given the opportunity? A counter response was, well he doesn't really have heritage or connection apart from being physically born in Australia before leaving two years later - so is he really genuine?

Reply #595226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754