Opals Game 4 - Japan - 06:45 AEST

04:45 WA
06:15 SA/NT
06:45 East

Live on 7TWO

Topic #39761 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Japan defeated Belarus and easily beat Brazil before going down to Turkey in their last game.

Tokashiki could be a problem matchup for us given her mobility, but we should be able to deal with Yoshida & Co. so I'm not expecting major problems in this game. Liz to smash it.

Reply #594628 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sorry ... it's on 7MATE, not 7TWO.

Reply #594631 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Boomers and Opals both with two games to get things humming for the knockouts. Hoping to see more of that WC style ball movement and execution from the France game.

Love having Tolo and Hodges on with Taylor. They are both dangerous in on-ball situations and that makes Penny super dangerous. Hopefully Joyce can start to settle more on combos in these two games.

Reply #594634 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Japan have sucked us into a track meet game so far, and they've got the defence looking a scrambling mess.

Reply #594644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows the weakness up in the defence big time

Reply #594646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keys to this game:

Stop going over the screen
Get the ball to the low post....bigs at the elbow should be ignored and told to get where they can operate
Find a 4 who can defend...don't want to join the Burton bashing, but wow, she is killing us
Go inside, go inside, go inside

Reply #594647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gonna need MUCH more help D if Burton keeps playing ......

Reply #594648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone, anyone, please play D.

Reply #594649 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Im finding the coaching a bit retarded. The Opals are struggling, liz is on fire, she has no foul trouble at all and Joyce keeps her on the bench. WTF!

Reply #594652 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Even George could score inside against this team.
Get the freaking ball inside!

Reply #594653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy, I reckon it's Liz physically couldn't keep up. Japan is playing ridiculously fast and running and Liz isn't in the best fitness.

Reply #594654 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

She was taken off with like 1.20 to play before the half after already sitting for extended minutes in the same quarter.

Reply #594656 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Unable to watch, what is the score?

Reply #594657 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Unable to watch, what is the score?

Reply #594658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree about Liz speed and fitness. That's why EVERY minute she can play we should be throwing her the ball INSIDE the key!
Am so tired of ineffective options that revolve around the trailing 4..... If they're a superstar, maybe.....otherwise go inside, then if needed outside, repenetrate. Play to your strengths FFS

Reply #594659 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Opals wont win this, Japan playing too well.

Reply #594661 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Good thing this is a group game. Japan are on fire.

Reply #594662 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Japan up by 12 at 3/4 time

Reply #594663 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just about game over.
Margin out to 14 now.
Defence still abysmal.

Reply #594664 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

16 down! Defence is almost as bad as the commentary

Reply #594665 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha...neither will be winning a medal that's for sure

Reply #594666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows the weakness in Joyce's coaching IMO

Reply #594667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now is the time they need experience and solid players to drive juat like Japan os and some rebounders... 2 women sitting in Aus come to mind....

Reply #594668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't out Lavey and Burton on and go to George for 3's and rebounds and Jarry for the drives and foul draws.

Reply #594669 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Finally some signs of life

Reply #594670 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

CMON! Lead back to 7 for Japan

Reply #594671 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

5pts...GO LIZ

Reply #594672 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Japan choke alert

Reply #594673 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Are we a chance?

Reply #594674 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

yes! 1 point down, 3mins to go

Reply #594675 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

WE LEAD!

Reply #594676 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

23 - 10 THIS QUARTER.

Reply #594677 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz and Leilani saving Brendan's job here

Reply #594678 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(plus Japan completely choking)

Reply #594679 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

LJ Agrees with me, Liz should have been playing more during the 2nd & 3rd.
Japan are finally missing.

Reply #594680 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Big Block by Liz!

Reply #594681 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

PENNY FOR 3

Reply #594682 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Penny!

Reply #594683 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, we are gonna win?

Reply #594684 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

What a great quarter for the Opals....5pt lead for the Opals with 51 seconds left

Reply #594685 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, we are gonna win?

Reply #594686 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

#clutch

Reply #594687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^absolutley...... As someone else said earlier in the week, Taylor will be the one who will keep him his job.... Unfortunately

Reply #594688 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We should now. Up 5 with 46 sec left. Ball goes to....

Reply #594689 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Japan ball

Reply #594690 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Japans ball

Reply #594691 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

LIZ IZ THE BEST!

Reply #594692 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Massive game by Liz

Reply #594693 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Opals will win.....WOW, I would have said we had no chance at 3/4 time.
Opals win 92 - 86

Reply #594694 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

37pts for Liz.

Reply #594695 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What were Liz's 4th quarter numbers?
Ridiculous quarter by her just saved our silver chances

Reply #594696 | Report this post

dani  
Years ago

strange things can happen when you play your best 5 players at the same time.

Jarry -16 in less than 5 minutes.

The bench totally useless (tolo should be a starter).

Reply #594697 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Our bench are probably just dumfounded when Joyce keeps playing Burton over them, must make them feel pretty average when someone like that gets to play so many minutes over them.

Reply #594698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was insane. Mostly because I can't believe we were down 16 to Japan in the first place.

I know there are still games to be played, but can anyone tell me who are our projected match ups for the first cross over?

Reply #594699 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Jarry was bad this game but she hasn't got to play much, she tries to force things in the few minutes she gets.

Reply #594700 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Saw a couple of highlights, looked like no one on the Japan team could guard Liz, anyway we got out of jail and continue onto the finals, well done girls!

Reply #594701 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Crossover is too early to tell yet, probably Spain.

Reply #594702 | Report this post

Manoftheworld  
Years ago

Is there anywhere that shows game stats and preferably cumulative stats.

Reply #594703 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty inept in-game performance by Joyce. Japan's advantage is speed, ours size, so you go big and play zone, right? So Cambage can intimidate close to the basket rather than chasing quicker players around near the perimeter, right?

Somehow it took Joyce more than three quarters to figure that out.

As soon as we started making them shoot shots over hands rather than on close-outs their percentage dropped, we were able to get into offence early in the clock and they had no answer to our execution, which was superb in the final quarter and obviously very well finished off by Liz.

Reply #594706 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lol it doesn't take much logic to figure out Liz should have played more... Japan are too small we needed to use our height

Reply #594707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Somehow it took Joyce more than three quarters to figure that out."

Not only that, but at some point during the 4th Q at a TO you can clearly hear Taylor telling him "No we need to stay in this zone".

I don't know what to expect from this team. I wouldn't be surprised with silver, I wouldn't be surprised with no medal.

Reply #594709 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To play Liz more we had to play zone, we should have been mixing up our D from the opening minutes. Our ball-screen defence was embarrassing, which was a mixture of bad coaching and our girls not being locked into the job at hand.

Credit to Japan, they are a good team and played outstanding basketball, but we played dumb for most of the game and were coached dumb for most of the game which helped the, to play so well.

Reply #594710 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

To be fair, Japan were shooting the lights out in the third quarter so a zone wouldn't have been the best option then.

Reply #594712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Taylor's secondary huddles after timeouts.

"Forget what he said, this is what we're doing."

Reply #594715 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

our D played too high and allowed the pick and roll and dribble penetration to the basket for most of the game Japan were outstanding in identifying where they could score and sticking with it.

In the end a great confidence booster to the team that they were able to come back from 16pts down in the 4th quarter. Not many teams can do that!

Reply #594718 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson, they were shooting the lights out because they were getting open shots from penetration against man. What was killing us was the easy ones from inside. We were always going to have to live with some threes, but until the fourth we weren't taking anything away from them, just playing reactive defence. Poor coaching.

Reply #594724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce is going to wear Taylor's body out before we even get to knock out stages.

Reply #594741 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Agree 100% Paul. Our offense was predictable and stagnant, and our defense was very reactive.

If we didn't have clearly the second-most talented team in the tournament, I think we would have lost to Turkey and Japan. Both nations (particularly Japan) appear to be much better prepared than our girls.

Given that the girls appear to be working hard and playing selflessly, the inability to play to their potential is on the coach.

I'll give Joyce the benefit of the doubt regarding the 2-3 zone: perhaps he didn't want to show too much this early in the tournament. Waiting until we were down by double figures could have been a recipe for disaster though.

Reply #594753 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If we didn't have clearly the second-most talented team in the tournament"

I don't agree with that. We are certainly in that conversation, and our top three are the second best, but there are a number of other talented teams at this tournament.

Coaching was poor today, but I don't think it's been poor all tournament. At the end of the day we are 4-0 and +47 after playing four good teams.

We haven't reached the heights of 2014 yet - there were some great signs of that against France - but it's the knockout games that will decide whether the style and roster Joyce has chosen was the right one.

Reply #594756 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Why doesn't he start the game with the group that seems to bail them out and finish most games?

Reply #594769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's using Burton as a decoy so teams don't get a good scout on all our real plays. Right?

Reply #594777 | Report this post

dani  
Years ago

"The Opals then started operating better on offence through their high posts Liz Cambage and Nat Burton, creating much better opportunities to score and clawed their way back into the match. A tough, driving bucket from Cambage, giving her 11 points for the quarter, gave Australia a two-point lead inside the last minute."

"The 33-15 final term was founded on a masterful defensive change-up to a zone by coach Brendan Joyce and means the Opals will almost certainly finish on top of their pool."

Newspaper reports

Reply #594779 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Taylor needs a good rest, unfortunately we don't have anyone to cover her position. Jenna Ohea would have been handy to run some plays through, certainly better than some others we have in Rio.
If the Opals gave Burtons minutes to Jarry, Hodges & George we could have bought a scoring role player like Ohea or Spider Allen.

Reply #594781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Taylor's secondary huddles after timeouts.

"Forget what he said, this is what we're doing."

Absolutely right no good 'international' coach as he likes to
Think of himself as would allow his team to get into a double digit deficit by 3/4 time

Reply #594783 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Fair enough Paul.

It isn't to say that I think the likes of Turkey, Canada etc aren't capable of competing and beating us, but looking past the Ws and margins I don't think the Opals have played great basketball - only for spurts, and only because (I believe) we're more talented.

The fact we have so many players on the team with international and/or WNBA experience (with a few current/former WNBA players missing out on the final 12) would attest to this.

If I'm right, I suspect our play won't improve substantially over the course of the tournament. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Reply #594787 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

did the players on the court have any responsibility to stop the pick and roll and the dribble penetration?

We could all see it!!!

Reply #594791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did the players on the court have any responsibility to stop the pick and roll and the dribble penetration?

We could all see it!!!

needed to look at who was on the crt at the time

Reply #594793 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

Burton does nothing! Doesn't score, doesn't rebound and always her player score on her! We are shocking with her on the court! She does nothing but her keeps putting her on!

Liz wasn't in foul trouble but played 20 odd minutes when she was killing it

Joyce gives no confidence to Erin phillips at all

Worst Opals coach in history!

Starting 5 should be

Mitchell
Phillips
Taylor
Tolo
Cambage

The next two subs should be hodges and ebzery

This is just a joke! So frustrating to watch! The team could have been so much better but even the team he chose he is still coaching them in the wrong way

Reply #594795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So frustrating...

You can clearly see the the best front line is clearly tolo with cambage.

The backups should have been George and batkovic who already have chemistry by playing with the Townsville fire.

both burton and hodges... Just not up to the task..
Could have used Allen also for one of jarry or Talbot.

Reply #594801 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

So many idiots on this site... I suspect disgruntled family members or friends of players who didn't make the team or their agents.

They are 4 from 4! Get on board and support out girls! shut up and get over the fact they didn't make it! Move on people , go opals!

Reply #594802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan?

Reply #594804 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

Annoy 100% correct

getonboard the Opal plane!!!!

Reply #594805 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Who plays the PF minutes has to depend on the opposition. Against Brazil coaches made a good adjustment to go big to counter their strong bigs, Tolo and George doing a good job.

Against Turkey we got murdered with Tolo and George there, they just couldn't guard the oppo. Good adjustment against France with Burton and Hodges doing an excellent defensive job. Against Japan, once it was clear no one could match their bigs' speed it was time to go more with Tolo and exploit them at the other end, which we eventually did.

Against Spain and Serbia we will need mostly speed, against the US a mix of both. We have good versatility in the front court, it's just a matter of getting right lineup for the right moment.

Reply #594809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few trump supporters on this thread...
Follow the leader.

Fact is burton has been more than terrible. She was out run by her opponents time and time again. How many times did she over play her man resulting in a layup via pick and roll.

Reply #594818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all you tall poppy knockers, before you go again at the Opals coaches and players please include a brief resume of your own personal experience of coaching/playing/team selecting at international level.
Easiest thing in the world is to throw shit from afar when well hidden.
Get some balls and be Australian. And STFU if you can't be positive about a group representing your country.

Reply #594827 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^Hey Anon, What was said exactly in this thread that you don't agree with. Any Basketball minded person that watched the game today noticed the glaring coaching mistakes that could have cost us a shot at the USA in the Gold medal game....when this happens you are of course going to get posts about it, it is a basketball discussion forum.

Reply #594839 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Nothing but support in the Opals game v France. The girls were awesome.

Nothing but support for for every Boomers game so far.

In games when things go poorly, myself and other forum posters will make suggestions for potential improvements.

If that is being unpatriotic then all interwebs forums should be closed right now.

Insert - "Good Job Good Effort" meme if that is the only type of post we are allowed to make.

Reply #594842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. After the start the Opals were great against Brazil and they were great against France. Turkey and Japan are good teams but things could have been done better so we point them out. They did well to win but they have to play better.

Reply #594843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The defensive adjustment obviously came a little late but still a great comeback.

Again great offensive production from Cambage, especially when we started reversing the ball more effectively and figured out how to consistently exploit the front-court mismatches.

A side note also, we should all be very thankful that Mitchell found her way into our program.

We need to produce more Penny Taylor types in this country. Obviously not everyone can be as good as her, but there aren't enough players around her size with the ability to get to the rim AND/OR pull up when offensive sets break down.

Also I really loved the way Japan played. Just relentless pushing the ball and playing with such an infectious spirit that I ended up feeling a little bad for them when they couldn't hold on.

Reply #594845 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

I would like to see them reverse the roles for Mitchell and Phillips on offence. Phillips is a world class PG who can create off the dribble and Mitchell is the best shooter in the tournament who Phillips and Taylor can create open shots for.

Reply #594847 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

totally agree with anon 594827,

show us your credentials before throwing shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #594853 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Joyce "Worst opals Choach in History" - Sorry nope: not even second worst,

Robbie Cadee would probably be given that award,in respect of his inability to choose the right basketball talent, closely followed by Brendan Flynn.

But Joyce is a clear medalist in the event

Reply #594855 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

@ - getonboard

show us your credentials...

You sound like a smart forum poster with basketball knowledge.

Reply #594856 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Right the Opals didn't get off to the best start, it was a shaky game for most of the bench who haven't been given the confidence to perform by playing spurts of 30 seconds.

Never the less, Opals came back from 16 down in the last quarter showing their class and that they're capable. Japan are a bloody good side, if anyone has been keeping an eye on them this tournament they have been playing exceptionally well, tipping them to be a medal chance when it's Tokyo Olympics 2020.

Get behind our Opals! They need us Australia!

Reply #594858 | Report this post

Titan 34  
Years ago

getonboard, annoy and anonymous you are laughable. Fact that posters don't agree with your views doesn't make them un-Australian and it doesn't mean they don't want Opals to win!

There are some great players on the Opals team but not everyone selected is the best this country has to offer.

There are many that believe Brandon is not a good coach and has made some questionable decisions, they cannot possibly be all family members.

Seems to me you protest too much. maybe you're the family members of the coach or those that a considered as ordinary selections. Or Brandon him self.

Here you are hiding behind your anonymous names attacking others for posting anonymously. Seeking posters to show proof of credentials before making posts should apply to you as well.

Posters should not be attacked for having different views. From what I saw of the games criticism should be expected.

We're lucky for having some great players in the team and its credit to them that we are 4-0.

Reply #594860 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

Titan 34 you do not even know the coaches name , that shows how much you know (brendon joyce)

Reply #594861 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

If you watch the games closely and where they are off the ball in O and D, Burton i think is unfairly criticized

Reply #594863 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Can't say I agree with you about that, Nix36.
I've been following Erin for a long time in the game and point guard has never been an ideal position for her. She's competent, but her ability to read defences and decision-making with the ball is not her strength. Very surprised you'd want to take the ball out of Leilani's hands given the near-perfect way she has run the team, balancing distribution with staying aggressive with her own scoring. She has been running the point at the top level for many years and is very poised as a result.

The guard spots are the least of the Opals worries IMO. The starting combo is good, and both Lavey & Ebzery make meaningful contributions when they come in as well. (I would actually consider starting them next game, and have Leilani & Erin come in for 15 minutes each tops, just to give them some breathers)

Reply #594864 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

@ Luuuc well rounded/balanced post although I'm gonna need to see those credentials.

Reply #594865 | Report this post

Titan 34  
Years ago

getonboard - there you go, thinking that making a typo in someone's name is a measure of ones credentials.

Reply #594867 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

titan 34 typo myself brendan joyce

Reply #594868 | Report this post

Titan 34  
Years ago

_strungoat_ too funny

Luuuc - I don't need to see your credentials. Your posting is balanced and includes balanced evaluations, based on your perspective.

Reply #594869 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looks like you've busted me, _Strungout_
I've got nothing.
Allow me to revise my opinion on things

* There is no scope for improvement in any area
* Everyone is awesome
* Everything is perfect

Reply #594871 | Report this post

Titan 34  
Years ago

Hahahaha, that's a winning post Luuuc!

Reply #594877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was the topic back before the personal snipping and sing-a-long of "Everything is Awesome" began lol: the top teams in the tournament after the USA. After watching all 4 Opals games, I'm not convinced the Opals are the clear 2 spot.

IMO Spain is currently playing better than the Opals, their coach is actually rotating through resting his key players for the knock out games, and they are arguably deeper at all but 1.5 positions (the .5 depending on which version of Penny Taylor shows up). Opals certainly don't have a defensive answer to Alba Torrens, which could cause a big problem if their young athletic C gets Liz into foul trouble. If we thought defending the pick and roll was bad against Japan...

Reply #594892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atm it's looking like..

USA -gold
Spain -silver
Canada -bronze
Australia
Japan
Turkey
Belarus
China
Brazil
Serbia
Senegal

Reply #594894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754