Isaac
Years ago

Sydney Kings to sign import Greg Whittington

Forward out of the D-League. Averaged 13.8 PPG there.

Went to college at Georgetown. His best numbers were 12 PPG and 7 RPG in his second year before he was suspended for academic deficiencies. Injured to start the following season, dismissed during the year, transferred to Rutgers before being a no-show. Has spent some time out of the game and then bits of pieces in the D-League and Summer League games.

Some D-League highlights:

Topic #39769 | Report this topic

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

I guess this is your source? http://pickandroll.com.au/kings-add-whittington-ever-improving-roster/

Reply #594808 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

does not look a good fit

Reply #594813 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Interesting signing. Not familiar with him, but seems like a versatile 4/3 type.

Reply #594814 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Got some good wraps from the Heat, versatile defender who can switch and guard multiple positions but also protect the rim. Sounds like exactly what the Kings need.

Khazzouh/Maric
Whittington/Garlepp/Hill
Newley/???
Bryson /????
Lisch/Cadee

Reply #594815 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not feeling that roster.

Reply #594816 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He was in Sydney having a work out, with at least I assume Coach Vickerman and alongside some of our core group that was here at the time, so while it's not an overall impressive signing on the surface, I think I will have to trust that they know what they're doing... We don't need a superstar, we need a strong rebounding defensive player that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty...

Will have to wait and see I guess... Hopefully he's in town soon and can get started ASAP...

Reply #594819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Tommy G goes from pretty solid starter to struggling to find minutes on the bench.

Reply #594820 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm not feeling that roster.

Yeah, I particularly dislike the 3 players with past/current Boomers games under their belts... yuck... Bring back last seasons team...

Reply #594821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Yeah, I particularly dislike the 3 players with past/current Boomers games under their belts... yuck... Bring back last seasons team..."

With the signings of Lisch & Newley I thought the Kings were on track to be a genuine title contender but I can't see that team making the playoffs.

Better than last season's Kings team sure they were a disaster last season so not a big achievement that.

Reply #594822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Roster looks superb to me and this signing looks spot on if he can replicate what he provided defensively in the NBA Summer League.

Reply #594823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So Tommy G goes from pretty solid starter to struggling to find minutes on the bench."

Which is a good thing.

Reply #594824 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

"suspended for academic deficiencies. ... dismissed during the year, transferred to Rutgers before being a no-show"

Sounds like a great character guy. Just what Sydney needs.

Reply #594825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac please this team is playoff bound. Ofcourse it is. It's Adelaide roster with that big Jacobsen guy that doesn't really do anything for me. But everyone seems to be ok with it as people have been sold on the 'no money' at the club routine.

Reply #594829 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Struggling to fathom how people don't rate this squad. It's ridiculous how good this team could be. They'll be an offensive juggernaut with great pressure at the other end - Lisch, Newley and Vickerman will make sure of that.

To think they will have Maric, Garlepp and Cadee as the core of the bench would make most coaches froth at the jowls. Not to mention they have one more import and local spot up their sleeve. I know they were trialing some SEABL imports also. If they go down that road and resign Prewster - for full court pressure alone - they'll be apples.

Reply #594830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DaHuzyBru, source was Olgun Uluc who tweeted about it earlier today.

Reply #594832 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Smith. If this roster gels they are a championship contender. It's hard to think of any base they don't have covered.

I would definitely sign Prewster for his defence. Known commodity, liked in the squad, and an offensive upside too if he keeps putting in the work.

Reply #594833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had this guy played in the NBA?

Reply #594836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like the unconfirmed F Ed signing by Cairns, there's a sniff of damaged goods going cheap: worth the gamble under the 3 import rule, return to point of sale if unsatisfied.

Reply #594848 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

@Isaac righto, cheers

Reply #594852 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lots of injuries already in his short career, but I like the sound of this guy. A lot. Khazzough can use a good Defender next to him! Lisch, Newley and Whittington might create an absolute shit storm for opponents between the three of them. Steals galore. Good luck getting passes through their D crisply.

Kings roster looks great. Only query is the lack of a true pass first PG- Lisch is a combo guard and Cadee is a shoot first PG. I reckon it's wise to have a pass first PG at least for team balance. Most teams do. It might not worry Gaze though, cos neither him nor Copeland were pass first guys!

But in terms of sheer talent, Sydney have it in spades. More than most of their opponents in the ever increasingly talentful NBL

Reply #594896 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Assuming that people are right, and this guy is a 3/4, that gives you some added flexibility.

DO you think there will be a 3rd import, or will they top up the bench with locals?

Reply #594901 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm a massive fan of their roster and they are my title favourites and I think their rivalry with Illawarra will be epic!

For mine

Sydney
Perth
Illawarra
Melbourne
Cairns
NZ
Brisbane
Adelaide

But it will be so tough to pick a winner in any given game

Reply #594914 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On a pure player by player analysis, Melbourne's roster is just ridiculous. As an exercise, ask yourself who their worst player is from their top 10. Tomlinson, who led the league in assists in 2013/14? Barlow, who's been to 2 Olympics and, it's easy to forget, is still just 32? New import Devin Williams, who was all second team in his conference?

But- pretty much every roster is really talented. You need a lot more than talent, it's getting stronger every year.

Reply #594927 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

More to the point you could ask who Melbourne's best player is. Cedric Jackson, who's played 4 seasons and been top 6 in MVP all 4 years, winning 3 championships and a runner up? Chris Goulding, 2nd in last season's MVP? David Andersen, who was an All Star and championship winner in France's top division last season? Crazy.

Then again, Sydney have 2 time NBL MVP Lisch, Brad Newley- who's been posting solid numbers in Spain, the same league Goulding, Lisch and Penney were all in before returning and being elite NBL players last season. Khazzouh and Aleks Maric aren't bad either.

And this isn't even mentioning the exciting new imports signed by both teams, or their exciting young Aussies like Blanchfield, Cadee etc

Reply #594928 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

is now official http://www.sydneykings.com/featured-news/kings-sign-d-league-star/

Reply #594937 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@ Smith... pretty sure the Kings are only running with two imports as it would be crazy to not have at least two of the new players are marquee locals...

I would be really surprised if Prewster isn't on the roster this season, not sure who else could be in the running for the final spot though...

Reply #594946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754