Anonymous
Years ago

USA stretched by Serbia

Serbia had an open look at three to send the game into OT today. Another close shave for the USA, is the gold medal up for grabs more than we thought?

From what I saw Serbia was pretty wasteful today too

Topic #39773 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

USA clearly has some problems. With all due respect to every team in the Olympics, the US trumps them all easily on player-for-player talent. On paper it isn't even a competition.

But their teamwork is nearly non-existent. They struggle with backdoor cuts and playing defense where the ball moves quickly for any longer than 10 seconds. They're surprisingly easy to carve up in the lane, and they rely too much on 1-on-1 isolation.

Serbia played a solid game but not exactly the world's greatest. The same is true for Australia's effort on Wednesday. Neither squad played above themselves to put the USA in real danger of losing. Team USA could very easily be 2-2 right now and staring down the barrel of missing the quarterfinals if only Serbia and Australia held their nerve.

Team USA will still be favorites for gold but the field is now completely open. I think any of the top 8 could beat Team USA on their night at this rate. It's no longer a 7 team slugfest for silver.

Reply #594947 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

What about that pass! While I can't see the US dropping a game they do look shaky when the go full iso, which is most of the time.

Reply #594957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they keep referring to them as the "dream team" that's long gone..... This lot are far from the original dream team...

Reply #594974 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Some of the players are a bit of a suspect choice. Jordan and Cousins are just too erratic and a little immature in the way they play and deal with their emotions. Klay isn't motivated enough to go splash, Durant is too deprived and it essentially leaves Irving and Melo to do everything.

Their problem isn't talent, it's their system, structure and choice of types of players. If they downgraded a bit in their choice of a couple of the starting 5 and had bigs who are just good hard workers, they could win every game sharing the ball between Durant/Irving at PG with Klay and Melo on the wings.

Reply #594986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not first choice but still significantly better players than the rest of the world.

Reply #594990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should select a few stars who can carry them e.g. Melo, Kyrie, KD. But in saying that they need guys who will do their role and do it well. Danny Green, Kyle Korver, Tony Allen, Steven Adams (not american i know but that sort of player) all have particular skills that they bring to their team which makes them very valuable. Good team players who don't mind not scoring every possession and play hard the whole time they're on the court. The US team doesn't have a lockdown defender between them and Jordan cannot count as he only helps and leaves his man open ala the Australia game when Bogut had a field day. the 2008 redeem team had guys selected for particular roles and they all bought in unlike the guys playing this year.

Reply #595051 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought Spain were spent and then I watched them beat Lithuania by 50 points by basically letting Gasol go to work and hitting their open looks.

I think they could cause America a lot of problems!

Has Barnes actually stepped out on court yet?

Reply #595056 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Serbia and Spain are legit international basketball nations, so is Croatia and Lithuania, I will put Australia into that category as well.

Team USA (not The Dream Team by any stretch) will have to work for gold this time around, that seems certain.

Reply #595075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As anon above said, they need a defensive, basketball-IQ, team-oriented centre in that line-up and they don't have it. Adams and Bogut are the sort of player they could really use out there.

A friend wondered if they shouldn't have taken Plumlee. Maybe Lopez. A lot of the decent centres are internationals - Gobert, Gasol, Gasol, Ibaka, Porzingis, etc. It didn't need to be a star, more a guy who was going to be in the right place at the right time.

Reply #595085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now France has also pushed USA going down by 3points 100-97

Reply #595111 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It wasn't quite as close as that though. France were down 8 with a very short time to play and knocked down a three on the siren to bring it within one shot.

The US is showing time and again however that they are only slightly better as a team than the competition.

Reply #595116 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very short time to play ≠ on the buzzer ;)

I get that it's hard for them to play with 100% focus when they know they can basically turn it on at will and still win.
It could bite them on the arse, but I suspect we'll see them step it up now that the real matches begin.
Time will tell I guess.

Reply #595124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754