Luuuc
Years ago

Opals Game 5 - Belarus - 01:15 AEST

Meaningless game for us, so hopefully some reduced minutes in store for Leilani, Erin & Liz, and maybe even the full Bogut treatment for Penny.
There's no shortage of bench players who could use some extra minutes.

Topic #39774 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Broadcast on 7TWO

Reply #594940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between the Opals+Taylor and Boomers+Bogut is the Boomers have been playing good basketball. I hope Taylor gets a few minutes and the girls get together at least one full quarter of solid basketball, work in their defensive schemes, and get some movement in their offence.

Reply #594944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Starting 5 unchanged

Reply #594948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton is just completely useless on defence.

Taylor and Cambage down hard and grimacing on the same play.

Reply #594949 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

How bout that missed layup from right under the hoop :/

Reply #594950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, how about the fact that so many of us probably never expected it to go in in the first place?

Reply #594951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rage building...
Must keep calm.

Reply #594952 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Burton gets backdoored in like the first two mins.

Reply #594953 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I can't with this.
Will catch up in the morning.

Reply #594954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously for the 1000th time...

Why is burton playing for Australia?

Dam Joyce's ego!

Reply #594955 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

All these games seem such hard work.

Reply #594956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have just brought the sapphires.

Reply #594958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce is gooooone...

Reply #594959 | Report this post

dani  
Years ago

so much for trying to rest Taylor.
already gone to the match up zone.
offensive is non-existent.
Cambage needs to be played in 3 minute bursts, because she is not fit enough to play any more without resorting to fouling.
Tolo and Cambage on at the same time provided the best post feeds/scores in the last game - of course hasn't occurred again.
Burton just seems to run up and down, gets scored on every 2nd possession and does nothing on offense, she is too slim to set any effective screens, useless on rolling to the basket and being able to catch in control.
Last Olympics, Opals won every 1st quarter.

Reply #594960 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Burton where's your man on that 3?

Reply #594961 | Report this post

dani  
Years ago

need to sub in Batkovic to score some points, whilst Tolo is in foul trouble and Liz is resting ......oh yeah that's right she wasn't good enough.

Reply #594962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lack of effort and fitness is quite disturbing.
Are they rebelling against Joyce or something?

Hopefully major changes after rio.
All coaches, most players. Time for the new crop.

Reply #594963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this real life? Beyond the obvious of certain players not being international standard, no one is showing any effort.

Reply #594964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can't be tanking because that would be pointless...

Reply #594965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You aren't tanking if you're playing your starters the minutes they've played.

Reply #594966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey < Mansfield
Ebzery < Allen
Jarry < Ohea
Talbot < Blicavs
Hodges < Penaluna
Burton < Batkovic

+
Mitchell
Phillips
Taylor
George
Tolo
Cambage

Reply #594967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you go from no effort for 3/4s to all effort for last 8 mins.

Is this some stupid plan?

Reply #594968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone feeling confident on Opals chances going into knock out round?

Reply #594969 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

that was the largest loss Belarus have had.
They are better than the results show as all losses have only been a couple of pts. I think previous biggest loss was 3pts, Opals doubled that to 6pts.

Still not at their best, but look at the results before getting too critical.

Reply #594971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Catch up basketball ".............. Good plan Joyce good plan

Reply #594973 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It wasn't a textbook win in the slightest and the Opals can’t expect to continue to play the way they played if they want to progress deep into the tournament.

Olympics: Opals defeat Belarus off fourth quarter blitz, sweep Group A

Reply #594975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The result is the result, but the fact is that is could have been over and done with earlier. The Opals are the superior team, but the combinations are hard t fathom. Just watched the full replay and what the coaches are seeing is obviously what we see. They play Burton FOREVER until we need to fight back, then she doesn't hit the court, she is clearly not up to the standard and the fact they keep starting her is insulting to he others and doesn't help her. It just highlights her deficits. Bring her on when the other teams starters are tired or in foul trouble and she might have a chance.
On a brighter note, the effort showed by the Mitchell, Ebzery, Jarry, Hodges, Francis or Tolo combination got us out of jail here.

Reply #594976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Joyce sees nothing I'm convinced of it, bet he won't even watch a replay , because if he did he would never have taken burton to begin with

Reply #594977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wouldn't have to watch much....the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter where subs out all of the starters except her, tells the story. Painful to watch. I feel for the player. This is not building a career or a reputation.

Reply #594978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew he would dig in with Burton when he started to get publicly questioned on her inclusion. Now she's a starter.

Reply #594979 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

everyone needs to stop focusing on Joyce and Burton. the Opals are 4-0 and just gave Belarus their biggest loss. Why not focus on the results, 4-0, and start to support the whole team. This team has rebuilt without Jackson who has been a mainstay for many campaigns. You cannot make comebacks to win games like they have WITHOUT a strong team spirit and belief. They are all on the same page.

Reply #594980 | Report this post

Manoftheworld  
Years ago

Getonboard, I too was critical of the early criticism of Burton and her inclusion in the team and actually posted here for us all to,start supporting the team. However I'm big enough to admit I was wrong. I haven't seen actual match stats yet but I doubt Burton has reached double figures in any of the key areas. At Olympic level and the amount of court time she is getting is totally unacceptable. This is not about the person, it's about her contribution and Joyce is a fool if he persists with using her. Then it's also how her lack of contribution is affecting other play rotations and the ability of the team to execute.

Reply #594981 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

manoftheworld, some truth in your post, but @#$ why cant people get off her back? It is not her fault how things have happened. How people can character assinate someone they do not know ( i do not know her) has got me beat. It is unaustralian the crap leveled at her. The same people putting out crap, if they win gold, will be all over them trying to shake hands etc. She is trying to win a gold medal for Australia, which is far more than most posters on here have achieved!

Reply #594982 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

No character assassination here at all, no suggestion that she has done anything other than totally worked herself as hard on her fitness and skills as anyone could to make the team, that she has entered into the team as a supportive and positive ego-less person who gives total support to her team mates,to the coach and to all the support staff, and that she IS representing Australia as a fine example of a fully dedicated Olympic athlete.

She has accepted that she has been selected, ( as we all would in her place) , that she listens and does exactly what the coaching staff asks of her, and puts everything on the line to to the best job she can when she is TOLD to go on the court and compete.

i don't know her but I'd put my house on it that she has never asked for any favours, nor given any in return, from any of the coaches or other players.

Well done to her.

the criticism in this forum that I'm reading, both professional and personal, is all on the coach.

i hope the girls win gold, and if they do they ALL deserve it. They will have carried the coach there, rather than the coach assisting them.

Reply #594983 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

No mention of Lavey today? Her efforts in the last quarter with Mitchell in foul trouble played a large part in the comeback.

Reply #594984 | Report this post

Manoftheworld  
Years ago

I think Lavey defiantly deserves her place in the team. She has played great defence on some good guards. Not as good a shooter as Mitchell but needs a few more opportunities by the coach and she can be a good scorer. Her turnovers are few and the sync in offence is there with her running the point.

Reply #594985 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Opals really need to atart producing from the get go. These second half comebacks won't cut it against the US

Reply #594987 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Burton never selected herself nor demanded a starting position. There is no doubt that her team mates are questioning the rotations and most critically when the team is in trouble she is on the bench. "Bat Girl" is certainly needed to bring some mongrel
and support in the 4 spot.
Lavey's selection has been known for 12 months after end lees accolades from Joyce. It certainly could not have been based on her ability to hold the classy guards in the better teams. Ebzery is clearly more experienced
Tolo needs to start in the 4 which is obvious to any one who grasps the game.

4 wins on paper is sensational as is winning the pool however the tough games are ahead. More early mornings and hopefully plenty of support for our girls.

Reply #594989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #594992 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We have 5 wins guys. 5 wins. 0 losses. Top of the group. Avoid USA until the Gold Medal game. We've done what we needed to do.

Reply #594995 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Have just caught up with the rest of this one.
Another thoroughly uninspiring performance by the Opals.

I question the wisdom of playing Leilani, Penny & Liz for 20+, 23+, 23+ minutes respectively. Thankfully Leilani was limited by her own foul trouble.
Those 3 have already done a mountain of work this tournament and will be even more heavily relied on in the knockouts, so to further wear them down in a meaningless game was dumb IMO. I'd much rather be 4-1 if it meant even 1% less fatigue for those key players going into the quarters. I'm guessing a night off would have done Penny a lot more good than just 1%.

Positives: Lavey & Ebzery continue to give good support off the bench. Jarry finally got some decent court time and did well with it.
George was forced to play due to Tolo's foul trouble. That's another plus in my books.

I would have liked to see a lot more Talbot minutes. She's a pretty good athlete and could still play a role for us, but rather than easing her into the action these pool games just seem to have been used to kill her confidence.

Reply #595001 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Good win by Japan today.

Probably a bit unlucky to finish 4th and play the USA in the crossover.

Will Australia have Serbia in the crossover?

Reply #595003 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep

(* unless 2 freak things occur - China beats USA and Serbia loses to Senegal)

So, Yep.

Not an easy one for us by any means.

Reply #595004 | Report this post

getonboard  
Years ago

re all the anti Joyce crap, at each TO i see Joyce talking with his 2 assistant coaches. No doubt they also talk outside the game.

Are all you anti Joyce posters saying the 2 assistants have no input??!!

Reply #595016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His assistants have zero input.

Reply #595017 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some are Joyce - Burton lovers.
I find them hard to watch.
I like; - Cambage , even though some reckon she cain't play, and watching Tolo making it look so easy.

Reply #595018 | Report this post

coffee please  
Years ago

assist to turnover ratio crucial

Reply #595026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Luuuc, if Senegal beats Serbia, China will go through regardless of their result against the USA as they'll own the head-to-head on the three-way tie, but what are the odds of that happening?

Reply #595031 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Quite right, paul. Thanks for the correction.
(and yeah, still highly unlikely)

Reply #595035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whoever we get, if we play like we have in the good patches we'll win comfortably. If we play like the first three quarters of the past two games we'll be up against it.

It all comes down to the defence, when we're getting stops and running no team can guard us, but when taking it out of the net consistently we are just an average team.

Reply #595037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many of the fouls are a result of 3 step layups so does not reflect true fouls and takes away the great d on tje drive and potential for the strippped ball. Thats on the refs ...and the midcourt issues were on the great performances by the National Institute of Dramatic Arts in Belarus ! The rest of the issies are on the coaching staff and team !!!

Reply #595040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm watching Serbia play right now since that's the Opal's first game match up and I've never watched them play. Another scrappy European team with mobile bigs who can pick and roll, pick and slide, and pick and pop.

The Serbian starters are playing very limited minutes too -- something I wish Joyce would have done.

Reply #595055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754