Manu Feildel
Years ago

Olympics basketball coverage

What's our take on Channel Seven's offering this Games?

- Is there enough basketball being broadcast (in general and men/women balance)?

- Are we satisfied with the commentary? How does it stack up with other countries' game calling?

Topic #39789 | Report this topic

getonboard  
Years ago

biggest problem is finding out which of the 3 seven channels is screening the game

Reply #595215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Games getting shown and commentary has been decent.

Reply #595216 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

No criticisms from me. I think it has been excellent.

The worst you could say is that they have missed the starts of a couple of games and the app can be a bit flaky for replays.

Reply #595219 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

So much better then the seven app broadcast over the web. That BBC bloke who does the english feeds must go down as the worst basketball commentator of all time.

Reply #595222 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

It's been the best coverage of basketball at the olympics I have experienced.

Yes it could be better, but it's been great to be honest.

Problems
- not knowing if a game will be shown
- not knowing what channel to watch
- not knowing if they will show a game in its entirety

Online problems
- crappy app
- when watching games on demand its hard to skip ahead
- when streaming games the audio stream lags or skips

Good points
- online streams are always high quality
- commentary has been great for Boomers games
- I've caught lots of replays of boomers game during prime time (in WA).

Reply #595227 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

About as good as can be expected I guess.
Basketball has got reasonable air time, and once games have been crossed to (which has sometimes been painfully late) they have generally stuck with them.
Still don't know why they haven't taken the opportunity to replay games in their entirety on Two/Mate during the afternoons when their usual disposable garbage is being shown.

Casey & Gaze good for the Boomers games.
Braybrook & Jackson pretty ordinary for the Opals though. LJ, a newbie, should have been paired with someone better.

Reply #595228 | Report this post

WTF !!  
Years ago

I agree Braybrook & Jackson are not that great, perhaps LJ paired with a charismatic, respected and media savvy WNBL coach with Olympic experience would have been a better bet, say Heal and Jackson. Odds are they would have been extremely interesting.

Reply #595229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 7 is trash but the 7 online access/app you get for free by being a Telstra customer is great, up to 36 channels live.

Reply #595250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's been some of Gaze's best commentary work. That said, I missed the China game where he's previously struggled a bit with names, so not sure how he fared then.

Reply #595289 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So, I get up this morning to watch the game I recorded on 7mate and LOVE the first quarter. But I suddenly find that it's no longer showing the game! Wtf?!

While I love the higher profile it might get on 7, did they really need to move it? I'm really pissed off with them & won't be alone.

Are they trying to stop people recording and watching later?

Reply #595952 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754