Scott
Years ago

NBL pre-season comp now Australian Basketball Challenge

The NBL have announced the 'Australian Basketball Challenge' this afternoon - formerly known as the NBL Blitz.

It will feature two Chinese clubs, and apparently they have already received interest from the USA and Europe for 2017.

Think expansion into Asia is getting closer.

http://www.nbl.com.au/uncategorised/nbl-launches-australian-basketball-challenge/

Topic #39813 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

I missed this last week among all of the Olympic stuff, particularly given the name change.

The inclusion of two CBA teams will add some interest (assuming they come with a full complement of imports).

Reply #597155 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Notables on the Ronggang roster include Jordan Crawford and Jason Maxiell.

Reply #597158 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm guessing those times are AEST

Reply #597160 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Chinese interest could be lucrative for the league but I really don't like Chinese basketball and I have reservations about having one of their teams in the league playing hideous basketball and throwing chairs over calls.

Reply #597174 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Zhejiang CB Golden Bulls and the Tianjin Ronggang Gold Lions will travel to Brisbane next month to challenge for the inaugural Australian Basketball Challenge (ABC) title against all eight NBL clubs.

The Importance of the Flourishing China/Australia Basketball Relationship

Reply #597193 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hmm... $20 a session is going to make going to multiple sessions a bit exxy... best just not tell the wife in that case :)

Reply #597197 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ME, doubt there'd be tantrums when playing in Brisbane. And more integration will minimise that anyway. And if it doesn't, then headlines!

Reply #597199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBA teams usually have 3 imports don't they?

Reply #597200 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I like this initiative.

I haven't liked the Blitz, comprised solely of NBL squads. A lot of ducks and drakes going on, teams never playing near full strength in fear of giving too much away, competitive level not really that high.

NBL teams will still not want to showcase their complete arsenal, but I think outside competition will instil greater competitive drive, against the Chinese teams anyway.

Would be great to see other countries come on board. D League Select, Indos, Filos, whoever else - I'm down for it. Would be a good spectacle and refreshing.

If more international teams came on board to strengthen the comp, I wonder if Fox would consider broadcasting it.

Reply #597201 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The Blitz is always more fun to attend really than as a broadcast... It's great to get a good look at most teams in person and the players interact with the fans a lot more casually, but overall I like it... They're streaming these games, aren't they?

The goals to get other nations/teams involved is a great idea and I like their ambition...

Reply #597202 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're streaming them into Asia, so I'd assume they're streaming them here.

It's just a pre-season tournament, if you're looking for actual competition you're doing it wrong; it really is just a first look at new players, and a basketball fix after three weeks of nothing.

Odd that there's not a discounted all-sessions ticket.

Is there logic behind playing games during the day on Monday? I don't think that's a holiday over that side of the country?

Reply #597203 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@koberulz Article says they will be streaming on website.

Reply #597204 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I've asked via facebook and twitter regarding four day passes. Nobody has returned my inquiry which I'm thinking means, they're not offering any....tad silly.

Reply #597208 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Tickets are already on sale and they aren't listed, so I can't imagine they will be.

Reply #597213 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If we want a real competitive tournament why not have the new FIBA Asia zone or whatever it is called (that now incorporates Oceania) do a club challenge tourney at the end of the club season. Has anyone suggested this?

Would be a good way to give the new FIBA zone an identity, and give our NBL players more exposure.

Reply #597330 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So I'm booked in for sessions 2 to 6, able to see every team two except the Bullets and 36ers three times (ugh) as well as the dunk contest and 3pt shoot out... Are there any exciting warm up dunkers in dev spots this season? Weeksy might get a good run, he was always good value in warm-ups...

A shame it's in a bigger venue as I really liked it when it was in Sydney and the players mixed with the fans a bit more... Assigned seating is good instead of sitting on crappy bench seats all day, but it just takes away a bit from the pre-season feeling...

Reply #597401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754