Anonymous
Years ago

We need to start producing better ball handlers

Australia doesn't produce great ball handlers and shot creators. Mills and Delly are great in their own ways but neither are great ball handlers with the ability to create off the dribble. We haven't really noticed this deficiency because offensive execution and efficiency has been so good, but the inability to penetrate from our guards and force defences to rotate is glaring. You only have to look at Serbia: Teodosic, Bogdanovic and Nedovic are all dynamic with the ball and can beat their man.

With that said here's hoping our shots start dropping and we make a comeback!

Topic #39822 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the boomers should draft in this kid immediately who has insane handle.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z13jqrGlOoA

Reply #596446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complete lack of fundament skills under pressure.

Goes back to having no teaching of fundamental skills anywhere in Australia. We just do not get it.

Reply #596466 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say the Serbian guards are excellent at using screens. Their away from the ball screening action into on-balls ensured their guards were rarely going against set defences.

I agree as a country we can get better at teaching players to create individually, but the problem today was we were forced into one-on-one play rather than sticking to our passing game.

It was a lot like the practice game against Brazil when they crowded the ball and the first pass, then clogged the lane from the weakside. The Adelaide 36ers early in Smyth's reign were very good at this.

Reply #596471 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Paul I think they took our passing game away completely by extending the D, and we couldn't release the pressure valve by hitting a few 3s or scoring off backcuts. When that happens, you have to get dribble penetration from your backcourt, and we couldn't do it. Our guys - Ingles in particular - penetrate without purpose, which is because they don't have a great deal of control due to poor ball handling. They're looking to pass first, which is not what you should do when penetrating. You should be looking to score first, with passing coming as a counter to good defence.

I thought Delly and Mills did a much better job in the games leading up to this one looking to score first on drives, but they were both terrible today.

Reply #596493 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think Ive seen a player be able to break down defences like Milos.

Reply #596524 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Mick

"Paul I think they took our passing game away completely by extending the D, and we couldn't release the pressure valve by hitting a few 3s or scoring off backcuts. "

Spot on, as a Serbian player was essentially quoted as saying " we made it look easy, but it wasn't - it was very hard work"

Good on them ( serbia) , no one really wants to play against teams that fold to you. I just hope that we give Spain a defeat , or at a minimum a very very close tussle for the whole game , so that basketball fans see that the quality of our 2016 boomers team is at a level to have challenged the US.

Reply #596531 | Report this post

These pretzels  
Years ago

Execution under pressure people

And What happened to our defence on the ball?

Is there a chance we'd chalked this one up as a win given we'd beaten them earlier and we belted the Lithos ?

Reply #596543 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't necessarily agree, I think we have guards that are good enough, we just didn't make shots early and had to chase the game and it didn't work out for us.

We start hitting early shots and stay with them, different ball game altogether. This thread then becomes a non-issue IMO.

Reply #596544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The posts here just reinforce we do not get fundamental skills and how they need to be taught. Watch Once Brothers and you will have an insight into why we had no chance today.

Reply #596555 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Pfft.
Shit happens.
There's a reason (in addition to money) that basketball finals are traditionally multi-game. You could argue that Australia had a single bad game all tournament, unfortunately it just happened to be in a sudden-death final.

Its sad, almost unspeakably so, this team deserved a Silver medal, but all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is getting a bit much.

In sports it often seems that finals against teams you recently beat, (even in an earlier final) are "danger" games. As though you've shown them your best, you know they'll have a plan to beat you, but just don't know what it will be.
Not sure if that's a valid observation or just perception.

At the end of the day, Serbia have shown they are a very good team.

The hope now must be that Australia can still medal. It won't be the right colour but will still be their best ever achievement.

Reply #596557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are confused. Talking big doesn't mean we deserve a medal.

Americans talk big because they are what they are. Talking like them doesn't make us their basketball peers.

Reply #596561 | Report this post

These pretzels  
Years ago

How do we 'deserve a medal' ?? This ridiculous mentality is exactly why we haven't got one. You don't 'deserve' a medal. You bloody win them by performing when it counts. Like Serbia has. And like we still can.

Reply #596574 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

How do we 'deserve a medal' ?? This ridiculous mentality is exactly why we haven't got one.
Yes, its all my fault, obviously a phrase used in a forum (after the defeat) is the very reason they lost.

Reply #596591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754