Juan
Years ago

McDonalds Championship

They gotta bring this back..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_Championship

Topic #39843 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

I still remember that game with Wildcats Vs Houston Rockets where Vlahov put Clyde Drexler on his backside. From memory Perth finished 3rd in that tournament after defeating Real Madrid. Great result.

Reply #597129 | Report this post

the inbounder  
Years ago

seem to recall 36ers in it one year with san antonio spurs

Reply #597132 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Surprised it's not around anymore given the NBA's push for global dominance marketing wise..

After the Wildcats entry, thought it was going to be the start of something special for NBL fans annually..

Maybe need to refresh LK and JL on the idea, they'll try and make it happen for sure, held in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth annually.. def money in it.

Get Macca's onboard again or find another big name sponsor.

Reply #597153 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Seems like there's a similar one that popped up again after a long hiatus, no NBA though, possibly because NBA and NBL are not officially connected to FIBA in that kind of sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Intercontinental_Cup

Reply #597154 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would be cool to see some sort of world club championship every second year or something, in pre season? Structured like the World Cup:

32 teams:
6 Asian/Australian
6 African
6 North American
8 European
6 South American

Reply #597166 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It never fails to surprise me whenever some little Japanese guy wins the McDonalds Championship.

Reply #597167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was in Milan when the 36ers were in that tournement. We did really well, but unfortunately, Kevin Brooks has not been resigned and we had Paul Maley there instead. Darnell Mee through down one incredible statue of Liberty dunk against one of those Euro teams. But the Italians and the Spurs were just another world ahead at the time. Would love to see it come back!

Reply #597168 | Report this post

Juan  
Years ago

The 32 team thing would be good but would probably be way too hard logistically..

I was thinking of at least the champions only from each of the following leagues in two pools, wouldn't go more than 10 teams, 8 would be better, a nice short tournament:

NBA
Puerto Rican
Lithuanian
Spanish
Turkish

NBL
CBA (China)
Italian
Greek
Israeli

Reply #597170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754