Scott
Years ago

NBL rosters still to be completed?

Which teams haven't finished their rosters yet?

Topic #39848 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

According to Pick And Roll;
Cairns - 2 spots
Sydney - 2 spots
New Zealand - 1 spot

All other teams have completed their 11 man rosters.

http://pickandroll.com.au/nbl-201516-free-agency-tracker/

Reply #597302 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Townsville haven't announced any signings either

Reply #597304 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Looks like that might be it for Schenscher.

Interesting when you look at locals unsigned from last season:

Adelaide

Lucas Walker

Cairns

Cameron Tragardh
Matt Burston

Townsville

Clint Steindl
Mirko Djeric
Corey Maynard
Luke Schenscher
Leon Henry

Sydney

Dion Prewster
Rhys Carter
Jordan Vandenberg
Indiana Faithfull

Illawarra

Larry Davidson
Tyson Demos

Melbourne

Igor Hadziomerovic
Chris Patton
Brad Hill

New Zealand

Everard Bartlett
Shane McDonald

Reply #597325 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know with the Crocs Steindl has gone to Belgium, Djeric to Serbia and Maynard to AFL and Hadziomerovic is still under contract with United just removed from the playing roster.

Reply #597326 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Djeric also was signed by an NBL team before the Serbia contract.

Reply #597327 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

A lot of those on the unsigned list (not signed elsewhere) would have been struggling to get a game even if there were no changes to the rules. They are all towards the end of their careers or have fairly well known weaknesses or limitations.

Reply #597343 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Spotted Lucas Walker training with Melbourne United in one of the videos they posted yesterday.

Reply #597349 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He can train all he wants because there's no spots left unless they want to pick him up as the worlds oldest development player.

But out of the group to miss out, I think Lucas Walker is most likely to pick up one of the remaining vacancies. He hasn't got the worlds highest basketball IQ, but you cant teach size, strength and athleticism.

Reply #597356 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

NZ will be announcing their final signing next week according to NZ Hoops. I thought they might be looking at someone who has an invite to an NBA Camp but apparently that isn't the case.

Have a feeling Prewster might still end up back at Sydney due to his effort and attention to D. In saying that you'd think their last import spot - if they choose to use it - will go to backup three for Newley. Pretty scary.

As for Cairns, once they pencil in their front line import I'd say they'll resign Heuir.

Reply #597362 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I forgot about Damon Heuir at the Taipans.

Reply #597365 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Prewster is still around in Sydney at least. He was in the University of Sydney team on Monday and IIRC played for the Kings in some of their pre-season games.

Reply #597370 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Sydney need five players under $400K. They have Jeromie Hill, Jason Cadee and Tom Garlepp. They need two more, so Prewster is very likely. I'm assuming that two of Lisch, Newley and Maric are being counted as marquee players, so they don't have another import spot available, anyway.

Reply #597372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have one spot left and their 2 imports arrive on Monday. Then off to CHina for some games

Reply #597374 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sorry anon, with Dkeric leaving for Serbia, Kings have two spots left... Back up SF and backup SG... (unless you're in the know and we've signed someone and not announced it?) No idea who the options are... I won'tbe surprised if Prewster makes the team, if only having stuck around and being familiar with most of the team already...

Very glad the imports will be here this coming week, I think Cadee mentioned that at half time interview with the old KingsTV crew when they broadcast the Bruins/Lions game... But going to China is new news... Haven't heard that before... Cadee will have some nice frequent flyer miles after being there twice already...

Reply #597400 | Report this post

Dione 55  
Years ago

Proof the league needs at least another team or two before bumping up the import quota.

Reply #597698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks as though Prewster might fill that role as a back-up 2/3, but I think they should also consider Mathiang Muo for that spot. (I'd have suggested Muo for Brisbane given he's already there with the Spartans, but it seems as though Kenyon is on a full contract rather than a DP contract.)

Also is Sydney's roster a little top heavy with Maric, Khazzouh, Hill, Garlepp and Whittington?

Reply #597701 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I think that was the plan for the next two seasons after 2016-2017, one more in Melbourne and another in NZ.

In addition to that, they were looking into a China team too so we could see at least 12-13 teams soon.

Reply #597704 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^^ Anon, Whittington will play at 3 as much as 4, so they will most likely play him at 4 to start, and Maric alternating with Khazzouh at 5, with those two playing together at times and either Whittington or Newley at 3.

Lisch/Cadee
Bryson*/(Prewster?)
Newley/Whittington*/(Prewster?)
Whittington*/Khazzouh/Garlepp/Hill
Maric/Khazzouh/Hill

The Kings also have one other spot available, probably for another back-up guard. This could be an import if they choose to classify only one of Lisch, Newley and Maric (whom I assume are on the biggest money there) as a marquee player.

That would certainly put them over the soft salary cap, and would make me wonder which are their bottom 5 players, salary-wise, remembering they have to have 5 players whose combined salaries are not more than $400K.

Cadee, Prewster, Garlepp and Hill would obviously be the bottom 4. I can't imagine any of them would be on more than $80K (Cadee?), and Prewster and Hill would be way under that, so it's feasible they may get a third import for around $100-120K, I suppose.

Reply #597708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754