Anonymous
Years ago

Jawai and Hawkins

Anyone see similarities between Nate Jawai and Tom Hawkins? Both dominating physical presences who don't really translate that into domination of games, except in bursts.

Hawkins has played on a dominant Geelong team for pretty much his whole career and can be a difference maker but as a "gravy" on top as opposed to the meat and potatoes.

I see Jawai as much the same - his role and environment last year in Perth I think was perfect, and it played out that way with an inconsistent regular season but some brilliant bursts in the Grand Final which was a major factor in Perth winning the title.

I think Jawai should've stayed in Perth or went to another strong team. Cairns might be in trouble if they expect him to be a building block.

Topic #39858 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes totally agree and the Wildcats were really the perfect club for him. Somewhere he wouldn't be expected and relied upon to carry the team but could play a 'cherry on the sundae' role. Also the Wildcats have a culture of players busting their gut and doing what it takes for the team.

In Cairns he needs to carry that team for them to be a playoff chance and being back home on a big 3 year deal under the coaching of his good friend Fearne I just can't see him getting in any better shape.

I hope so for his sake because he was just too overweight at the Wildcats that they could only play him in short bursts.

Reply #597523 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The only problem with Jawai is fitness level. If he was as fit as everyone else, he wouldn't even be in the NBL!

Reply #597525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both are crucified by officials, now there is the major similarity.

Jawai gets fouls just for being big and doesn't generally flop so when he is fouled he very rarely gets what he should in favourable calls.

Hawkins gets held, smashed into the ground and his jumper pulled n almost every contest, yet the umpires give him nothing.

He kicked six goals today v the Demons and at times was mauled without the ball or head hunted with it, but just like Jawai those little primidonna men in yellow or lemon, or whatever the hell colour it is, just look the other way and let it happen!

Reply #597526 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think you may be selling Cairns short, they have some very good pieces in the team and could be a real surprise packet this season.

They seem to have unearthed a floor leader at point guard and backed up by the energy of Agent 97.

Gliddon is an out and out star and I think he will have quite a few massive games this year, backed up by Mitch McCarron, of whom is my tip for rookie of the year (is he eligible) and im very excited to see him play.

They have a great defensive wing who can knock down from long range, If Stevie Weigh can get his shot dropping and he can remind everyone how good he could be then he makes them better.

Wortho has the ability to change games by himself and if both he and Loughton can stop throwing up terrible threes and help run more sets then that sure helps.

Jawai can play 20-25 minutes a game and backed up by an import centre.

Yes a lot needs to go right but remember this, the Cairns Taipans have more talent on this roster than the team that made the grand final a few years back, them making another seems unlikely but how they gel as a team will be vital if they do anything

Reply #597555 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Every other team has a lot more talent on their rosters now than a couple of years ago too.

Cairns's biggest thing will be consistency. Guys like Loughton and Weigh have struggled in this area.
I wouldn't be calling Gliddon an "out and out star" either - he's solid and improving sure, but not a star.

Their imports look good and hopefully Jawai can stay fit and be an imposing figure in the middle.
Cairns should be in the mix, but there's a lot of water to go under the bridge yet.

Reply #597576 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gliddon is also 27. He's not going to get any better from here.

Reply #597578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon is an above average role player, not a star

Reply #597579 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I DO NOT care about football players dumb & unintelligent sport for hooligans so who cares if Jawai is like him? Is this football moron slow and out of shape and has NO MOVES ?? because thats what Jawai brings to the table.

No wonder the NBL IS DYING when you have mediocre players like him allowed to not only play but have a whole offence based around him when he doesnt have the talent for that.

He's free throw percentage is not good enough! He doesnt get to the line that much because he lumbers with the ball so long and cant dribble forcing him to throw up junk and hope refs send him to the charity stripe.

Reply #597586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754