Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL 2016/17 Season

... tips off next Friday.
Not as strong a comp as last season unfortunately, with Bunton, Tomlinson, George, Talbot, Allen, Ebzery, Madgen & Jarry all headed for Europe.

Title odds right now look like this FWIW:
Perth Lynx 3.30
Townsville Fire 3.75
Melbourne Boomers 6.00
Bendigo Spirit 7.00
Sydney Uni Flames 7.00
Dandenong Rangers 8.50
Canberra Capitals 21.00
Adelaide Lightning 36.00

Perth is a legit threat after re-tooling the front court, adding Ruth Hamblin at the 5 to replace Louella Tomlinson, and replacing the very productive Betnijah Laney (who suffered an ACL tear early in the current WNBA season) with Monica Wright. If Monica can stay healthy then it's a potent lineup.

I guess losing Cayla George to Europe is what has cost the reigning back-to-back champs the favouritism? Imports Novosel & Tatham make way for Standish and Natasha Cloud - who I think is one of the players to watch this season. And they also add Kelly Wilson. So in terms of top-tier talent, Townsville are still right up there, and I also think that Claudia Brassard will prove to be an excellent coach. A 3-peat is a definite possibility.

Down at the other end of the ladder, I can't argue that Adelaide will struggle again this season. I expect Canberra to lift though and be better than $21 suggests. Mansfield came of age last season and hopefully for the sake of the Opals she can build on that brilliant form. They're a young team other than Ruef & Tolo in the paint, but one with a lot of potential. If they just had one more outside shooting threat they could really do some damage.

Still waiting to hear whether Abby Bishop will suit up this season, and wondering whether the Liz Cambage staying in Australia for the summer will translate into any participation in the league. The latter especially could be a game-changer for someone like the Boomers.
It does look set up for another Townsville-Perth GF to me right now though. Rangers and Flames to round out the top 4? It looks quite a raffle to me from 3-7.

I wonder how many away games we'll be able to see this season.

Topic #39979 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Oxymoron

[ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-]

1. a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in "cruel kindness" or “to make haste slowly.”.

Is the TV deal still imminent?

Reply #599909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll be putting $200 on the lynx at those odds, to me it's almost guranteed they win the title. They are MUCH better than last year and the rest of the league hasn't drastically improved, maybe even gotten worse.

Reply #599912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Paul Maley and Sally Phillips still heading up the WNBL? I haven't seen one article regarding the competition since her initial appointment.

They brushed off any talk of TV deals in her initial appointment press conference

Live streaming with commentary? This should be the minimum.

Unfortunately, unless the NBL take over the running of the WNBL the league will die off and watch women's soccer, netball, AFL and rugby sevens overtake basketball

Reply #599913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a little wager on Canberra as a $21 smokey for the title.

New coach, Tolo, Mansfield, Ruef, decent imports.

Reply #599914 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe looks to be a very athletic/agressive player, very Kelsey Griffin like for the Spirit.

Good chance to get back into the title mix.

Reply #599940 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would prefer Adelaide finish bottom than not start.

There's actually some good talented young (local) girls in that squad. The challenge would be for them to click as a team and collect a few scalps along the way.

While other teams may have a bucket load of talent, if they underestimate Adelaide, an upset will ensue.

Reply #599941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Adelaide will do similar to last season and win their fair share of games.

The league isn't as strong as last season due to the higher profile players going to Europe.

If Chris Lucas has them buying in and organised they will surprise plenty.

Reply #599943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ totally disagree that the league this year isn't as strong, with the exception of maybe George ( who backed up Batkovic) the rest had little impact on the overall league..
Think the league is in good shape, some teams look to have got some good mobile imports who,could fit nicely into the faster paced WNBL game played here in Australia.

Some good athletic teams this year with plenty of young talent coming through.
Most seem to have recruited well with the exception of maybe Boomers and Sydney, though picking up Mitchell will be good for them

It will come down to team chemistry for many of them as to just who goes the distance

Reply #599945 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the league is in good shape too, btw! It's still a strong league and yes some doors have opened for some talented younger players.
But come on... those 8 players I named who left, and then add to those another couple with Penaluna & Tupaea being lost to injury ... that's a lot of talent to lose. And sorry, but claiming that players like Jarry, Madgen & Ebzery had little impact is just clueless. It's not even arguable how good those 3 are.

I don't disagree that there are some quality imports joining the league, and the unfortunate but predictable demise of SEQ will concentrate the talent we have into 8 teams instead of 9, so that helps offset some of the personnel loss too.

Reply #599962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last year just for example
Button, Penaluna .. Injured nearly all season
Others out for Opals commitments
Few if any were the main players in their teams
Yes all good players in their own right but they have been replaced by equal or better in most cases for this season
If they were all to stay the league would be the same as last year potentially
Now they have been replaced not by lesser players either then how can that in anyway make the league weaker
Oh and if they were to stay the others brought in would not be here most likely

Take Tupeaa as an example has been replaced by Mitchell IMO a far better prospect so how has that been detrimental, yes sad that she's injured but she's been upgraded now to an opals starting PG
Penaluna... When was the last time she actually even played consecutive games with any form of production let alone a season... So how is loosing her going to impact the league...
Just like Bunton ... She hardly took the crt for Rangers last season her loss to Europe won't be missed in that team as far as productivity goes from last season

It's not saying these players are not good but them leaving the league will certainly not cause the demise of s good decent Como infact I bet it will be an even more competitive one than last year

Reply #599980 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Pick and Roll - Your ultimate guide to the 2016/17 WNBL season
http://pickandroll.com.au/ultimate-guide-201617-wnbl-season/

Basket Case podcast - Episode "A"
https://www.spreaker.com/user/carolwical/basket-case-1617-ep-a

Reply #600110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read the preview of Bendigo on the WNBL site and had a giggle. Firstly they listed Heather Oliver as a departure (Spirit had their launch last night and there was Olly front and center holding her number 7 singlet). Then later on they say that the loss of Joy Burke could take its toll. By all accounts Burke was a lovely person and worked hard (and did well in SEABL for Rush) but she didn't contribute much at either end in limited minutes. Had the height but was just too slow, contributed little on offence and often got into foul trouble quite quickly. Had my doubts right from the off how Gabe and Burke were going to work together and couldn't see why you would "spend" an import slot on a backup 5. Nayo looked far better value when I saw Spirit take on Boomers here in the 'Rat the other week. Looked very much like a Griffin clone. Snell wasn't overly flash either so Kelly Wilson looks like the only major loss and if Dietrick is up to the mark then the additions of Nayo, Payne and Karaitiana and improvement from Spencer should make the Spirit much better.

Reply #600182 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boti's season preview:
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/no-missing-lynx---wnbl-preview/

Reply #600469 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Roy Ward's season preview:
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-season-preview-townsville-fire-tipped-for-threepeat-dandenong-rangers-to-challenge-20161006-grwbpk.html

Both journos have the same 4 teams making the finals:

Boti:
1. Perth
2. Townsville
3. Bendigo
4. Dandenong
5. Sydney
6. Canberra
7. Melbourne
8. Adelaide

Roy:
1. Townsville
2. Dandenong
3. Perth
4. Bendigo
5. Canberra
6. Melbourne
7. Sydney
8. Adelaide

Reply #600783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754