Anonymous
Years ago

Funny Sixers first game, now Friday Sept 2

Just saw on the NBL site that the 1st Sixers game has been changed to Friday the 2nd due to the Crows possible home final on Saturday the 3rd.

When are the Friday night District catch up games going to be played?...Would have to be that Sunday (4th) because finals start the next week?????

Can anybody confirm???

Topic #4000 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Spread the word and make sure everyone you know is aware of the change. The 36ERS opening game has been changed from September 3rd to September 2nd, which is a Friday night.

Should be a great opening game. Paul Rogers will be on the visiting team and speedy David Bailey will be making his official NBL debut.

Tip-off is 8PM.

Reply #46544 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

It made today's paper Isaac.

Looking forward to seeing the new screen for replays etc.

Is it going up above the entrance next to the large score board and is that going to be a permanent fixture?

Reply #46550 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

That's the same night as Adelaide United's first home game.

They would have been better off keeping it on Saturday night as I read a few weeks ago that the Crows are requesting a Sunday game (the reason being they are in Perth the week before). That's my opinion, anyway.

Reply #46554 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner -- Oscar and I spent some time in the Dome trying to plan the best places to put the screen (it's rear-projection, so needs a certain about of space to best operate -- running the type of screen used in past finals games or down at the Toyota Rally, for example, is really very, very pricey). We (Oscar and I, plus Ben the music man) did some tests projecting out of the Apollo Restaurant windows using a bed sheet as the screen and my home projector but it's not really the best place for a few reasons, though it would've been the cheapest. It looked shocking, but you have to start the idea somewhere!

Our final thinking was for the screen to be suspended at that end though, where the championship flags are. I don't know if it's going to be visible by absolutely everyone (no place in the Dome is perfect, unfortunately), but I'm hoping it will be a quality addition to games. Paul Bauer and some of the other staff at the club have toiled hard to arrange the hardware and I believe it will be a permanent fixture.

There are concerns that live footage may distract players at that end of the court, so we'll see what actually gets shown on the screen. Replays would be fantastic, but requires camera operators and so on. More stats would be awesome too, but that's a matter of integration and operation too. If that doesn't happen straight away, it might be something that's added later.

Reply #46565 | Report this post

Paul Bauer  
Years ago

We are in the process of securing a rear projection screen for every home game. The only game it would have replays and a live feed would be when fox sports do our games at home. Apart from that it will be used for advertsising and promotion. It will be alot of fun.

Reply #46567 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

If Doctor E is right with the Sixers and United playing on the Friday night, Grange Rd is going to be a real bitch!

Reply #46570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will this impact the final round of Junior District Basketball or will the final round impact the crowd at the 36ers?

Reply #46572 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Just my luck! My team has round 21 game at Port Adelaide which is unavailable, so game has been switched to Sun Sept 4th.
Round 22 game is set for Dome on same night that 36ers are now playing. Will we have to play a "double-header" catch-up. I don't envy CT trying to work this one out.

Reply #46580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the interest with adelaide utd i feel that this will hurt the 6ers more then the crows( thats if they play saturday)

why not decide to change the date of the 6ers game when they know which day crows and possibly port will play in the finals and then advertise monday onwards

Reply #46601 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Everyone knew things like this were going to happen at the start of the season because of this years early start (due to the Commonwealth Games).

The reason why we changed to a summer season in the first place was so we didn't have to compete for interest with the AFL.

No use complaining about it, just have to try and get as many people there as possible.

IMO a Crows final would be much more damaging than the United match. Adelaide United are not going to get 50,000 people to the match and another 300,000 watching on tv no matter how good they are advertising...

Reply #46608 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I know I was the one to mention Adel United but I don't think they would take all that much away from the 36ers. They definately wouldn't have the impact the Crows would.

Crows - 45,000
United - 15,000 (max)

Crows - free to air TV
United - no TV (Fox maybe?)

Reply #46611 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I think its more of a point of the 36ers crowd indenting on Adelaide Utds......interesting to see the comparison.

Reply #46634 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Well done BASA etc etc.... now you screw up all the teams in JUniors, you know the ones that make a LOT of money for you, who have their last minor round game on 2nd Sept, and those teams wanting to prepare for their finals campaigns starting in the next week! Pray tell when T F are these last games being rescheduled for now.... Saturday, Sunday, days, nights???

Reply #46656 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Cant please all people all of the time. Apparently cant please some people any of the time...

Reply #46664 | Report this post

DARK DIRK  
Years ago

a lot of fathers are going to be peeved, sunday 4th sept is fathers day!!!

Reply #46672 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Furthermore, how many players AND their parents, DEpending when the junior games are rescheduled for playing, would prefer to go to the Crows game, whenever that is played, and not play their last minor round game?? What about coaches' plans for finals the next week? What about teams with country players and their travel needs, especially those who could enter finals on the results of this last game? Stadium availability with Church/Social or Domestic Comps in them? MORE so, what about all the Door people, Umpires and other stadium volunteers who likely have plans already made for that weekend at the Crows final and/or Father's day?

No wonder BASA is like a rudderless ship in a stormy sea, we still bend over for the AFL! Here it seems we bent over before a FIRM Crows date was set!

36ers game should not have changed due to a "Crows home possibility" at this crucial end of the Junior (big money $$$$s spinning business) season. Now, anything less than 5000 at the 36ers game will be a pathetic result and an indictment given the actions taken.

Reply #46754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farviewer, get some perspective.

Without a doubt the biggest drawcard in SA is the Crows (200,000 viewers minimum each week).

Second is Port (150,000 viewers per week).

Coming in a distant last is all of the parents and competitors in the local junior basketball ranks (2,000 max). Sure, some will be Sixers fans and possible attendees, but not all.

There are only 1 million men, women, children in Adelaide. Some wont give a stuff about sport at all.

It is simple economics. Lighten up. Everyone is not out to target parents of junior competition, it is just that there is no better time! There is absolutely and definitely NO PERFECT TIME THAT WILL SUIT EVERYONE.

Just do what you have to do and stop bitching about it. Believe it or not the world will not end because you can't make a Sixers game. I am sorry, but that is just life.

Reply #46770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when are the junior games then hopefully saturday night

Reply #46825 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

According to the Advertiser today, if the Crows lose to West Coast on the weekend, they will be playing on Friday, 2 September 2005 in any event.

Does anyone else spot the potential clash here?

Reply #47470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754