cats 4 life
Years ago

Rd 1 Bullets v Wildcats tips

Great to have the bullets back! Great from the nbl to give them opening night to kick off the season. Off season way to long, got to have something in between to keep fans engaged with the nbl.

First game of the season, both teams with great lineups, Beal and Jervis take on former team, plenty new faces for Perth.

Bullets will come out swinging, if Perth ain't ready the game could be over in the 1st qtr. Still tipping Perth to spoil the party.

Perth by 10

Topic #40011 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Assuming Bairstow doesn't play, Cats should win

Beal could always have a blinder against his old team and could win them the game. But unlikely.

Reply #600485 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I don't think Bris will be able to handle Perth's defense in this one.

Reply #600487 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

Def agree with the above. Although 2.5+ point home underdogs tend to perform pretty well, the only way I see Brisbane getting this done is on the back of a huge home crowd atmosphere and some dead eye shooting. And even IF that were to happen, I simply don't see Perth letting this one get too far away from them.

Sure, Beal (or any other guard for Bris) might get hot but if that happens they will be insta-shut down by Damo. Love him or hate him, the guy is still easily the best perimeter defender in the league.

Reply #600494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets to get smashed

Reply #600497 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I'm just glad that the bball is back and thank God Lk took over and what his done is a credit to him and everyone involved for giving us the game we love better than it has been for a very long time!

Reply #600498 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I'm just glad that the bball is back and thank God Lk took over and what his done is a credit to him and everyone involved for giving us the game we love better than it has been for a very long time!

Reply #600499 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

First game of the season and the Cats don't feel to me like they're as prepared as usual, so anything could happen. (Hopefully we smash 'em of course)

FWIW: Bullets $2.25, Cats $1.66.

Reply #600500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets @ $2.25 good value against a club that seems to struggle early in matches on the road & esp in QLD. Emotion may just get the Bullets over the line.

Great to have the Bullets back !!!!

Reply #600506 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I expect the MIGHTY MIGHTY wildcats to streak the Brisbane bullcrap even though they're missing the great man Matty Knight.

McKay is WANK - get a better import!

Redhage and Wagstaff will be throwing bows all day and INTIMIDATE the brissy boys.

I think Perth's D can hold Brisbane down and brisbane's lack of bench will hurt them BIG TIME down the stretch.

Beal can't do everything in the back court and Martin will hassle Gibbo all day, all day and probably keep him under 6 points.

Reply #600515 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets v Perth Wildcats

LIVE on Foxtel channel FOX Sports 3 OR on NBL TV Available at nbl.com.au

Reply #600530 | Report this post

PABLO  
Years ago

Does anyone know why the Bullets have gone from 2.20 underdogs to being 1.70 favourites for this evenings game vs the Wildcats?....

Reply #600531 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

WOW PABLO. That's a huge line move mate. I have been scouring for news but haven't been able to find anything except that Bairstow will have until tip off to prove fitness.

I don't usually advocate re-loading in the face of big line moves like this but until Perth give me a reason to fade them I simply won't. Pounded them at -2.5 and will pound them again.

GL

Reply #600532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd already used some bonus bets on cats, !&) now I'm just curious as to why the massive line move!? Surely must be a key cat out, Prather or someone?

Reply #600533 | Report this post

PABLO  
Years ago

Sounds like you have some money $ on the ole bball PeroV? I like that as i do too (both NBL and NBA...good to see mate. I just dont get people having such faith in the Bullets when Perth are so accomplished both home and away and the Bullets are an unknown package at this point...I would much rather their chances are 5.5 'road dogs' when they play the Kings in Sydney this round....

Reply #600534 | Report this post

PABLO  
Years ago

Even with a key Wildcats player out I wouldnt jump on the Bullets.....mind you my they might just surprise as can be the case... :0

Reply #600535 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

Agreed PABLO - there is currently no indication that either Prather or Damo are injured (those being the only 2 I would be remotely concerned about here).

Would appreciate it if anyone is able to provide more info before I pull the trigger again.

Here is my mini-breakdown: We know precisely what we will get from the Cats, regardless of who plays. We will get intensity, hard-nosed defence for 40 minutes, attacking the glass and an attempt to execute some form of a game plan.

The Bullets, on the other hand, are a total x-factor right now. They might turn up as a team, they might play defence, they might rebound, they might be able to execute sets that they can't have had too much practice with, Gibbo might not be a flop, Kickert and Beal might do something other than wait for open 3s.

Too many mights vs consistency. I know what I'm choosing over the long run.

Reply #600537 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

gibbo under 12.5 points

Reply #600538 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

Best line: +4 on Crownbet.

Best price: 2.44 on Sportsbet.

Considering a play on the under as well but I will probably hold off. I feel like at least one of these quarters will be one of those NBL specials like 13-12.

Reply #600539 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Don't know if anyone has cottoned on yet, but all over local news last night that Bairstow is playing.

Reply #600542 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

Line just got smashed back to +2.5. Seems "the Bear" is the only reason for the initial 4 point swing.

I'm sure Bairstow is a fine enough kid but there is only room for one "Bear" in the NBL and this one is certainly not worth 4 points.

Reply #600558 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bairstow makes a huge difference IMO

Big challenge for Perth newbies Brandt, McKay and Walker first up, defending the deep Brisbane frontcourt at full strength.

Reply #600560 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Bairstow plays I could see the Bullets snatching this with Matty Knight out.

Reply #600563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that Bairstow makes a big difference, and that's probably the only thing that could explain a swing that big in the market.
Cats front court looks pretty dodgy without Knight, and Bairstow is someone who could definitely exploit it.

Reply #600566 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold for this game?

Reply #600576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looking at Ticketek, should be close to a sellout. Most blocks either completely sold out or with very limited seating available.

Reply #600580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone in Brisbane care?

Reply #600581 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Great stuff !!

Reply #600582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait what this is at Boondall so sellout = 14.5k on a Thursday night? O_o

Found this:

"More than 6500 tickets have been sold for tonight's game at Boondall."

Curtains?

Reply #600583 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There were at least some seats available in all blocks except for along one baseline.

Handful of blocks right up the back where you could get up to 10 tickets, which is the maximum Ticketek allows regardless of seating, so they're potentially empty, but everything in the lower bowl maxed out at three or four tickets and the same was true of a few upper level blocks as well.

Was half full as of a couple of days ago, according to someone on Facebook.

Depends what sort of a gameday push they get.

Reply #600593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are they using curtains? Because 6,500 out of 14,500 is nowhere near a sellout.

Reply #600597 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Some seats available in every block other than one baseline means that baseline is all that could possibly be curtained off.

It's possible it looks more heavily-sold on Ticketek than it actually is. Guess we'll find out in a couple of hours.

Reply #600600 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Game is also streaming live on Facebook.

Reply #600623 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Watch for Bairstow's shrewd movement off the ball and his textbook screen-setting.

Reply #600639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

One baseline is indeed curtained off.

Reply #600640 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@ShaneHeal · 4m minutes ago
Bairstow has not taken part in any pre game warm ups.

Reply #600641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is NBL TV working yet for this game?

Reply #600643 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's working fine for me, but seems to be delayed by a couple of minutes compared to Foxtel.

Reply #600647 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pretty poor crowd!

Reply #600649 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Uniform watch:

- Not a fan of the Bullets having a maroon logo but blue stripes.

- Other than that white stripe on the back, Perth's uniform doesn't look AS BAD as I thought it would.

Reply #600651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Heal commentating? Can we get rid of this disgraced bankrupt finally!!!

Reply #600652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all of these NBL commentators annoy me. it's best muted.

Reply #600653 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Scoreboard not working? This is poon stuff from the NBL a PROFESSIONAL league

Reply #600656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the commentators are so amateurish

Reply #600658 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I don't understand why on-screen scoreboards have been so difficult to maintain on screen over the history of the NBL.

Reply #600659 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yup.

Shot clock and game clock update at the same time, too, even if there's a half second difference.

Reply #600660 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So much for Bairstow being a certainty to play.

Reply #600663 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

You can tell from Beals body language that he YERNS to be back on the Perth wildcats

Reply #600665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seeing the usual Gleeson offence.

"give it to the import and he will do something"

Ahh which one Trevor?

"I dunno, who ever gets it first. try the little one"

Reply #600671 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

terrible second half from the Cats, messy offense, no one looks like putting the ball in the basket

Reply #600672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone should be looking into the betting changes.
Someone also will clean up it seems

Reply #600674 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Mckay nor Brandt bring the low post game and exceptional passing that Jawai did. I can see this team having major issues offensively

But at the other end they will be superb. So expect more games like tonight!

Reply #600685 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that was pretty weak
:/

Reply #600686 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Knight will make a big difference to Perth's team. Well done Bullets, great return.

Reply #600690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, crowd filled up late ( no day light savings in Brisbane) no problem with the app, a few teething problems but good start to the season.

Reply #600692 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Do Perth have to pay for Jarons plane ticket home?

Reply #600697 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bullets to get smashed

We all get it badly wrong sometimes...

Reply #600698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regular poster but will go incognito for this one.

Must remark that it was fortunate that the Bullets won, as the game night experience was extremely poor for what should have been a flagship night.

- music junk, just random dribble played consistently throughout the game, apparently silence is not golden. Here's a tip: if you feel the need to play something, at least give the crowd something to clap to

- cheerleaders terrible, two 'routines' (I'll call them that loosely) the entire night and generally looked a mess

- announcer was meh (ex-Blaze?). Heard longtime regular Neil HS wasn't even asked.

- scoreboards are bad

Wife said she's been more entertained at a SEABL Spartans game, and they're not of great standard if you haven't been to one.

Honestly felt insulted that the Bullets felt fit to offer us what they did, I can only hope they vastly improve this side of things. Some will say they've only been an organisation for a few months but this is a professional league and it takes little effort to get these things right.

Also a shame Brisbane has to adhere to 6:30pm tip offs during weeknights, this will kill off a chunk of patronage who doesn't want to fight through notoriously bad traffic.

Random observations

BULLETS

- Thought the side looked most dangerous when the ball was in Bruce's hands, boxscore won't show that.

- Finishing around the hoop was poor, but feel Bairstow will improve this.

- Young was a great foil off the bench, exactly what the team needed

- Offense in 1/4 sets looked shady, not sure if a case of Perth defending this well or Brisbane needing to improve

WILDCATS

- Having Redhage as a 10th man is an utter luxury

- Don't know how they dropped the game as they looked far superior in the first half and should've lead by more than 10

- Can't read the player names or much else on the jerseys from more than 10m away, how do these things get approved

- Previous poster in another topic touched on this, Perth will miss having an off guard who is a legit three baller

Peace

Reply #600707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said Bullets would be smashed and they should have been. The betting line said they would be too a week ago. Then the betting line changed. If it was a horse race there would be an immediate enquiry. I have never seen anything like it ever.

Reply #600711 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Betting markets are crap and generally slow with the NBL, if you want to make money from betting agencies the NBL is how you do it.

I remember in late 2013 the 36ers being considered wooden spooners favourite for a lengthy period while having a lineup which was obviously going to make the playoffs - they ended up losing to Perth in the Grand Final 2-1.

Reply #600715 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Probably a good result for the league. An early win by Brisbane could help build momentum

Reply #600718 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I fear Redhage is done all he can do now is stand in the corner for a 3 ball.

oh and ONE FREAKING REBOUND from Brandt. I said he projected as a bad rebounder and everybody was up my asshole about it.

Reply #600722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the white uniform Brisbane's main strip? I thought it was odd all their media and promo photos had players in the white and assumed the maroon one would be the main home jersey.

Reply #600724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up your asshole how charming. Redhage is cashing in paychecks only at this point. He offers nothing of substance and should've retired already.

Reply #600726 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looking forward to Wildcat's fans meltdowns following every loss this season.

Reply #600736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 flags in 3 years and 3 in 7 helps ease the pain :)

Reply #600739 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

That one stung a little bit. Felt like your archetypical Wildcats game. Six Brisbane 3's in a row later...boom game over.

That Shaun Bruce triple to start the fourth - I cannot believe he didn't get called for out of bounds with 2 refs in the direct vicinity. Speaking of which, I've seen this same reffing trio in the NBL for a couple of years now. Still terrible. Time for some new blood you'd think.

All things considered, I'm glad Brisbane and the NBL are back. Let's hope this season turns out better than those Chemist Warehouse ads.

Reply #600741 | Report this post

"Up your asshole - how charming."

But - surprisingly roomy ! ;)

Reply #600744 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"That Shaun Bruce triple to start the fourth - I cannot believe he didn't get called for out of bounds"

At no time when Bruce was out of bounds was he in contact with the ball. Isn't that what makes a legit out-of-bounds call, that you touch the ball while on/over the line?

If that was out-of-bounds, every time someone goes out of bounds to swat an errant ball back in then surely that should be called.

Reply #600747 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If you step out of bounds and then touch the ball at any point before stepping in court again, then it's out of bounds.

Reply #600749 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

He took about 5 steps with all the foot shuffles before releasing that three ball as well.

Reply #600750 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seemed a majorly botched play phase for sure, but the Cats had way bigger problems than that anyway. I don't think we can be too mad - it's not like we deserved to win that one. Really shitty second half.

Reply #600757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Looking forward to Wildcat's fans meltdowns following every loss this season."

I reckon you'd find that after Wildcats' losses, its fans of all the other teams that go in to meltdown with predictions of their impending demise.

Reply #600759 | Report this post

PeroV  
Years ago

GordonG - he was definitely out of bounds mate. I understand where you're coming from, namely that he dribbled the ball forward, let go of it, then re-gathered when he was back in bounds. That's what he was *trying* to do but the replays showed he was pretty clearly out.

I don't want to be one of those "blame it on the refs" guys because Brisbane won that game last night on the back of some really tough defence and shot-making in the second half. But that blatant no-call to start the fourth was like a dagger to my heart lol.

Reply #600760 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

I agree, Bruce's shot should have been called out out, but the Wildcats got away with some pretty blatant flopping too.

McKay looks a very solid 3rd import choice. Boti tagged him as the first import to be sacked this year... based on last night he won't even be the first import sacked from his team.

Kickert is interesting. He's not getting the open looks he did at United. That's kind of rendering him useless.

Gibson played the best game I've seen from him for a couple of years, while Petrie looks a bit off the pace. I have no faith that he's going to finish when he gets the ball under the basket. Obviously a great team guy though and I'm sure he can still be a solid contributor.

Great to have the Bullets back. The support was great last night, lets hope it keeps up.

Reply #600762 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Both feet must touch the inbounds floor before you can touch the ball again.

Reply #600764 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Needed McKay more in the 3rd..

Reply #600769 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

For an organisation that is so successful and professionally run, I am puzzled by the Wildcat's choice to persist with near-invisible player names. It was painfully obvious in the pre-season competition. Surely they can just re-stitch names with white (or some other more conspicuous colour), right?

Reply #600833 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Both feet must touch the inbounds floor before you can touch the ball again"

Ah, fairy nuff :)

I don't play, I just take photos ...

Reply #600834 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree with you, rjd. The numbers are awful (which we have known for a while now)
I expect another wave of criticism after tomorrow night's home opener. I'm guessing that a large portion of the crowd is going to struggle with the numbers, and have no hope with the names.

Reply #600836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep numbers and names were crap, non existent.

Reply #600844 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The league needs awareness of names and personalities. It is such a fundamental and obvious requirement, to not have that is a baffling stuff-up. Perhaps it is easier to read names and numbers in person, but on TV it totally sucks. The only uniform choice that is worse is choosing a colour similar to the opponent.

Even misspelling the name of the team is better than not being able to see player names/numbers. Wait, maybe they did misspell "Wildcats". I couldn't read it well enough to determine.

Reply #600865 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone know why Lucas didn't play?

And why was Hire starting?

Reply #600915 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

@GordonG,fair enough...you just like to watch and take photo's??

what does your therapist say about that??

Reply #600969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't play, I just take photos ..."

I never played but knew the rule. You've been watching for years like me. Slow learner?

Reply #601427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754